Live news - Dallas - Cops shot

LumRaiderFan

I guess we all look at things differently.  My perspective would have dictated that I take no action to cause the officer to be nervous.  If I am inconvenienced some, so be it.  I prefer the inconvenience to the possibility of something worse.  You mentioned that your wife smarted off and then said a few more things.  I am going to guess that there was nothing cordial about her comments.  If I am wrong, feel free to correct my assumption.  Once again, from my perspective, that was not something that was needed in that type of incident. I would guess that the officer interpreted the "smart off activity"( if I understood you correctly, she made more than one remark ) as  potentially a confrontational event.  As for the way you stood up, I would further guess the officer interpreted your move quite differently from the way you described it.   In the Michael Brown case, I could not disagree with you  more.   A trained officer has a better feel than someone untrained when a threatening situation exists.  If Mr. Brown would have approached me in the manner that I have heard he approached the officer, I would do whatever was necessary to stop a man twice my size from assaulting me. 

47 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Here's a link about BLM response to the shootings that is very revealing.  Personally, I had no idea.  Knew it was bad, but had no idea it was this bad.

This is the hidden content, please

One of my best friends live in north Dallas and told me there are people supporting the killer, some have R.I.P signs. It's ridiculous.

I think his is what 300 years of systematic racism looks like as it comes to the point of a near civil insurrection though. My surname is a Louisiana slave name from circa 1718 in the New Orleans area. My grandma will tell you we arrived in chains, broke free of those so they lassoed us and hung us from trees, cut down the trees so they put up a fence(Jim Crow/segregation), jumped over the fence and now we're too close to the porch so they shoot us for being on their property. All of this takes place over a quarter-millennium but we're truly only given 50 years to juxtapose the position for fear of being seen as lazy or a drain on society. That's a tough ask for a group of people that were legally devoid of any education or financial holdings for the first couple of centuries of their "immigration" if that's what you want to call it. 

I don't support the BLM movement at all, more black people are killed on the south side of Chicago every year than the police could ever kill in that time frame. I already knew but the information BigDog posted is good too. Questionable killings have been going on since Reconstruction, now we just have cell phone cameras to record them. When you still have people that vividly remember police officers being involved in things like the murders of the Freedom Riders or can recall times they were hosed down for trying to organize voters I think those types of incidents mixed with what's going on today will create a radical culture for some, such as the guy last night, to identify with. 

24 minutes ago, stevenash said:

I guess we all look at things differently.  My perspective would have dictated that I take no action to cause the officer to be nervous.  If I am inconvenienced some, so be it.  I prefer the inconvenience to the possibility of something worse.  You mentioned that your wife smarted off and then said a few more things.  I am going to guess that there was nothing cordial about her comments.  If I am wrong, feel free to correct my assumption.  Once again, from my perspective, that was not something that was needed in that type of incident. I would guess that the officer interpreted the "smart off activity"( if I understood you correctly, she made more than one remark ) as  potentially a confrontational event.  As for the way you stood up, I would further guess the officer interpreted your move quite differently from the way you described it.   In the Michael Brown case, I could not disagree with you  more.   A trained officer has a better feel than someone untrained when a threatening situation exists.  If Mr. Brown would have approached me in the manner that I have heard he approached the officer, I would do whatever was necessary to stop a man twice my size from assaulting me. 

All in all what you just said is that you're scared which is my point. You're scared and nervous when you show up before even knowing the situation and you end up acting accordingly which is exactly what you're trained NOT to do. My wife smarted off because there was another white couple smoking cigarettes on the other side of the garage and he never stopped to mess with them, she never used one profane word but she did bring up their race in which his comment was "well maybe YOU shouldn't be here." Which is when I stood up empty-handed, tired of walking all day and annoyed he was bothering us. No matter how I stood up he was going to interpret like I could beat his ass, which I easily could've in a different setting. No taser, no mace, no radio, just instant fear and hand straight to the weapon.  

Thats weak as hell and you're weak as hell too. You're exactly the type guy that doesn't need a badge or gun but exactly the type guy that gets them sometime. I guess that's what makes America great though, we can all believe whatever makes us feel good.

Great discussion, being an Econimics major I have some different view points I would like to discuss in this forum but I never have before and won't anymore. Politics makes you lose friends, lol. Hopefully this kind of stuff ends in my lifetime, have a good one and peace out.

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

All in all what you just said is that you're scared which is my point. You're scared and nervous when you show up before even knowing the situation and you end up acting accordingly which is exactly what you're trained NOT to do. My wife smarted off because there was another white couple smoking cigarettes on the other side of the garage and he never stopped to mess with them, she never used one profane word but she did bring up their race in which his comment was "well maybe YOU shouldn't be here." Which is when I stood up empty-handed, tired of walking all day and annoyed he was bothering us. No matter how I stood up he was going to interpret like I could beat his ass, which I easily could've in a different setting. No taser, no mace, no radio, just instant fear and hand straight to the weapon.  

Thats weak as hell and you're weak as hell too. You're exactly the type guy that doesn't need a badge or gun but exactly the type guy that gets them sometime. I guess that's what makes America great though, we can all believe whatever makes us feel good.

Would I have been scared when a 300 pound man with a criminal record approached me in a threatening fashion?  Absolutely.  And I would venture to guess that part of being a "trained peace officer" includes training that instructs you to, in certain circumstances,  terminate the threat.  Are you telling me that the officer should have permitted Mr. Brown to assault him?  Should the guy in Dallas last night have not been killed? We are ALL scared at one time or another, so it is futile for you to imply that I am somewhat less than you because I will admit to experiencing fear.  Have heard many officers tell me real life experiences that very much reflected fear.  And you are just going to have to understand that the officer that you and your wife encountered did not "know" that you had been walking all day or that you were tired. The only thing he knew is that he was in the middle of a contentious situation and had to deal with it in a certain manner.  The officer in Ferguson Missouri was completely exonerated and yet is still in hiding, likely for a very long time. His life is essentially ruined.  The investigation ( which included a myriad of feds doing their absolute best to find fault with the policeman) found him to have handled the situation appropriately.  By the way, I am somewhat educated in the economics area and would love to discuss business and the economy with you anytime.

5 hours ago, Scatright said:

Don't link to infowars. It just highlights your ignorance.

One thing I did wrong was the heading.  It wasn't the BLM organization, but alleged supporters.  And yes, I'm uninformed about much of the Internet.  Don't know a FB from a Tweet.  Got this from a usually reliable internet source, but this time, maybe not so reliable.

On 7/8/2016 at 3:16 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

One of my best friends live in north Dallas and told me there are people supporting the killer, some have R.I.P signs. It's ridiculous.

I think his is what 300 years of systematic racism looks like as it comes to the point of a near civil insurrection though. My surname is a Louisiana slave name from circa 1718 in the New Orleans area. My grandma will tell you we arrived in chains, broke free of those so they lassoed us and hung us from trees, cut down the trees so they put up a fence(Jim Crow/segregation), jumped over the fence and now we're too close to the porch so they shoot us for being on their property. All of this takes place over a quarter-millennium but we're truly only given 50 years to juxtapose the position for fear of being seen as lazy or a drain on society. That's a tough ask for a group of people that were legally devoid of any education or financial holdings for the first couple of centuries of their "immigration" if that's what you want to call it. 

I don't support the BLM movement at all, more black people are killed on the south side of Chicago every year than the police could ever kill in that time frame. I already knew but the information BigDog posted is good too. Questionable killings have been going on since Reconstruction, now we just have cell phone cameras to record them. When you still have people that vividly remember police officers being involved in things like the murders of the Freedom Riders or can recall times they were hosed down for trying to organize voters I think those types of incidents mixed with what's going on today will create a radical culture for some, such as the guy last night, to identify with. 

In the 16th-18th century Africans enslaved around 1.5 million White Europeans in The Barbary Slave Trade.

This is the hidden content, please

I know that no one today is responsible for that, so I don't hold a grudge. It was white people that ended slavery here in America. Slavery still goes on in Africa.

8 hours ago, bulldogbacker said:

Some inside info:

shooters bullets penetrated the body armor.

cousin is out of hospital, one of his good friends was killed.

TVC can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that, while Kevlar vests will stop most pistol rounds, it takes special armored plates to stop rifle rounds, typically worn by the swat team in special situations.  Due to their weight, they're not worn by patrol officers, which would include the officers shot at the protest. 

29 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

TVC can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that, while Kevlar vests will stop most pistol rounds, it takes special armored plates to stop rifle rounds, typically worn by the swat team in special situations.  Due to their weight, they're not worn by patrol officers, which would include the officers shot at the protest. 

Correct.