Other than 6man ball should txhsfb have a mercy rule?

If they're bound and determined to do something, in lieu of a mercy rule, in blowouts of more than XX points, the UIL could contact the winning school and review how many subs played, and when.  After several repeated contacts, maybe further action.  Just a thought, because I don't like the mercy rule.  Would deprive third/forth string Soph & Jr of playing time.

No to the mercy rule and no to calling off the dogs. I've never understood how so many folks can think dancing in the endzone is not unsportsmanlike but when a sub scores a touchdown in a blowout game then that is unsportsmanlike. Unsportsmanlike for playing hard? I don't get it.

I think the losing coach should be the one to call off the dogs. When his team gets too far behind on the scoreboard, he can throw in the towel. The game would end there and that score would go in the books as the final score.

51 minutes ago, Englebert said:

No to the mercy rule and no to calling off the dogs. I've never understood how so many folks can think dancing in the endzone is not unsportsmanlike but when a sub scores a touchdown in a blowout game then that is unsportsmanlike. Unsportsmanlike for playing hard? I don't get it.

I think the losing coach should be the one to call off the dogs. When his team gets too far behind on the scoreboard, he can throw in the towel. The game would end there and that score would go in the books as the final score.

Are you suggesting the losing coach should teach his players how to quit?  Is there no value in kids learning how to continue fighting even when getting their tails handed to them with no hope of winning on the scoreboard?

1 hour ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Are you suggesting the losing coach should teach his players how to quit?  Is there no value in kids learning how to continue fighting even when getting their tails handed to them with no hope of winning on the scoreboard?

No. The players are not quitting the game, the head coach calls his own mercy rule. A coach calling a game when his team gets too far behind doesn't teach his players to quit. When he calls mercy then that is on him. Coaches now are teaching their kids that if you out work your opponent and get "too good", then you have to lay down and play to the opponent's level.

A coach having the ability to call a game is the same exact thing as implementing a mercy rule. The only difference is instead of the UIL deciding ahead of time what the score margin will be, each coach has the ability to determine when they think a good time to call mercy will be.

No, if a team don't like getting the stuffing's beat out of them, it is their responsibility to work harder and get better. Some teams have second string players that are good and continue to score. These kids have earned the right to play and score. A team needs to play their first string long enough to keep the players in shape, the second team needs to play and develop in order to gain the experience . That's how teams reload the next year.

I always thought the object of the offence was to score.