Running up the score

ST413

2 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

So you get the kids to practice hard, play hard, and they are winning big....Now the kids that don't play as much get some time on the floor...Do you tell them to NOT continue the good habit of playing hard? I understand not pressing and such, but what do you do when your 12, 13, and number 14 guys are better than the other teams starters? Lay down? Just a rhetorical question...

In my post you do not see me say anything about not playing hard.

BTW, in most of these cases there are no 12, 13 and 14 players. And in most these scenarios, those end of bench players should be in game by start of 3rd.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

In my post you do not see me say anything about not playing hard.

BTW, in most of these cases there are no 12, 13 and 14 players. And in most these scenarios, those end of bench players should be in game by start of 3rd.

Our 2001 Ozen team had guys that were not in the rotation that would START at most places. I can relate to the issue of having a dominant team, I just don't agree with controlling the final outcome of a high school varsity game by some mercy rule...Its just not fair to the kids that work hard to be good.

2 hours ago, winwin said:

The better lesson is to finish what you start. Give it 100% until the end. You show mercy and respect when you pick someone up off the floor after you dunk on them. People get the two confused. I believe you can push kids and adults to compete until the end in sports and at the same time show mercy and compassion for people in need. I know people that turn into monsters while competing and then give you the shirt off their back. 

I agree with this.  I do feel there are ways to play hard and let the opponent have some breathing room as well like stopping pressing but not turning the ball over on purpose or missing shots on purpose.

Just now, Dick Vitale said:

Our 2001 Ozen team had guys that were not in the rotation that would START at most places. I can relate to the issue of having a dominant team, I just don't agree with controlling the final outcome of a high school varsity game by some mercy rule...Its just not fair to the kids that work hard to be good.

Don't get me wrong, I am not for any kind of mercy rule. I think coaches can handle these situations on their own.

Silsbee in the Huntington tournament came from 29-30 points down in the 4th qtr to beat Marshall by 1 point and win the tournament if they would have had a mercy rule they would not have won the game ,every game is not going to be close some team are 30-40 or even 50 points better than other teams blow outs are going to happen, nba and nfl or even MLB there are no mercy rules.

On 2/20/2016 at 1:23 PM, winwin said:

I agree that you should stop pressing. Even putting the bench in is ok. But the 5 on the floor have to keep playing hard and try to score. Whats missing in the conversation is HOW the score was run up. We beat Sabine Pass last year by 90 without pressing and with the bench in. Just looking at the score, one may think we were going all out and tring to kick em when they were down. But that wasnt the case

And that is normally the case. 1 starter in maybe with a few bench players. Especially among the smaller schools that don't have a large bench. Some of the kids playing and scoring in these games it may be the most time they play all year or in some cases one of the only times they may play. Shoot 3's, dunk, and have fun. They may never have the opportunity to play after highschool. 

I've been on both sides of this as a player and as a parent.  And it is entirely about respecting your opponent while the beat down is happening.  Lost a FB game in college by 70 pts and never felt disrespected.  They were just that much better.  Lost another game by about 50 and wanted to kill their coach because he was still throwing 50 yd passes in the 4th qtr.  If I saw that man on fire today, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out.

Lumberton has been beat by 80+ pts by Central and never felt disrespected.  Without mercy rules to "save you", you learn a valuable life lesson.  That lesson is To keep fighting like hell even when you are getting your ass handed to you. Don't ever give up!  

Then later in life when you are faced with death of family members, loss of jobs, terminal illness, etc, you are better equipped to handle the adversities.  Nobody is going to enforce a mercy rule when chemo or something else is kicking your ass.  Toughen up and become a fighter!

1 hour ago, HSbballFan said:

And that is normally the case. 1 starter in maybe with a few bench players. Especially among the smaller schools that don't have a large bench. Some of the kids playing and scoring in these games it may be the most time they play all year or in some cases one of the only times they may play. Shoot 3's, dunk, and have fun. They may never have the opportunity to play after highschool. 

That's the most logical point right there. We're talking about HS kids here and for 98% of them, they will never play after May 31st of their SR year.

Let them have fun, run it up, pour it on whoever they are playing. It's at the professional level I feel is where the whole "respect your opponent/ coach comes into play"..........even in the collegiate ranks, nothing wrong with shutting down with a big lead in the 4th qtr to get the underclassmen some playing time or even walk-ons (Rudy) but at the HS level, just let the kids play. They are kids and if they get their arse spanked, they'll learn to quit the sport or get better at it.....