Kountze 124 Deweyville 38/Final

WOSgrad

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Did Kountze press from start to finish?  If so..Dville could've spent more time last couple weeks with press offense, or pressure passing.  I know you can't simulate it without that type of athleticism...but chances are they didn't press the entire game.  In fact..I would bet that they didn't press much (if any) after halftime.  Which tells me one or 2 things...A) You can burn up a surprising amount of clock by using your full 10 seconds you have in the backcourt.  That's assuming Kountze is stealing it as soon as you cross the 10 second line. B) When Kountze got out of their pressure defense at whatever point...Dville could've held on to the ball a little longer before attempting a score...or even getting close to attempting to score..  But in reality...it's probably better to lose 124-38 than 80-10.  I mean..what's the difference.  But don't give me this or that about running the score up.  If that's your style Kountze...play on.  But yes I think it will eventually hurt them when they play a team that can handle pressure.

I scored over 40 points several times in high school..and each time I only played about half the game.  But none were on my last home game..I would've loved to have a career night last home game.  Coach left him in?  Who cares...

On senior night I got taken out with a minute left with 40 points and my career high was 42. After the book keeper told Coach Hyman to I had 40 he put me back in and I hit a three with 3 seconds left! We were up by 30 but those three points were the greatest memory of high school sports I will take with me. Thank you Coach Rick! I know your on here somewhere. I see no problem with letting Grayland having a career night in his last game on his home floor. 

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

On senior night I got taken out with a minute left with 40 points and my career high was 42. After the book keeper told Coach Hyman to I had 40 he put me back in and I hit a three with 3 seconds left! We were up by 30 but those three points were the greatest memory of high school sports I will take with me. Thank you Coach Rick! I know your on here somewhere. I see no problem with letting Grayland having a career night in his last game on his home floor. 

I still see a difference between you hitting a 3 up 30 and him scoring 8 points in the 4th after they were up 90. 

1 hour ago, KHSAlum400 said:

What's funny is we have this conversation every year Kountze and Deweyville play each other...

There is a mercy rule. States that the clock must run after one team is up by 20 or more. You also have to sit each starter one complete quarter. And if you are up by 20 or more, you are not allowed to press in the backcourt. All of these rules are part of the Beaumont Little Dribblers bylaws. If you want to watch a game in which they are enforced, I can try to get you the Saturday schedules. Just let me know if you would prefer to watch 6-8 or 9-12 year olds. For those that don't have a problem with running the score up, feel free to continue to watch all other levels of basketball with the rest of us :) 

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I still see a difference between you hitting a 3 up 30 and him scoring 8 points in the 4th after they were up 90. 

The only thing that I would object to would be potential injury to my player. Beating another team by 100 is fine. Its more of an insult to get hammered by the bench anyway IMO.

1 hour ago, winwin said:

The only thing that I would object to would be potential injury to my player. Beating another team by 100 is fine. Its more of an insult to get hammered by the bench anyway IMO.

I doubt the hammering would've been nearly as bad.  Kountze has had some pretty close games against average opponents with a starter or two out.  And I would be very worried about my player getting hurt.  When you're down 60 and your opponent is leaving one of the best players in the state in the game to run his stat line up, there are a lot of high school kids out there without the self control to stop themself from taking a cheap shot if it presents itself.  I quit basketball as a freshman because I was a very good soccer player, and there were at least a dozen times in my career where I'd scored 2-3 goals against a bad opponent and my coach took me out of the game or threw me back into defense because the other team started trying to take me out.  I set the all-time scoring record at my school, which still stands today, but I could've come close to doubling that number had the coach let me stay in and score as much as I wanted.  I have no problem with his decision, because it was the right thing to do, for a multitude of reasons.

2 hours ago, HasBeen36 said:

Deweyville dropping to a 2A is going to be a good thing all around. Will be glad to see them guys at a level they can compete in. 

Big Sandy is 2A...and they're better than Kountze.  Basketball is not like football...class makes a huge difference in football.  But in basketball it doesn't.  Now you get to run into more teams that play basketball only.  Think that's gonna help?

Guest ECBucFan

Running into smaller teams in every sport across the board certainly will help.

My friends in DV will enjoy being the biggest in their district, rather than being the smallest in their district like they have been for years. Thats a no brainer.  

As for Kountze, they "gotta do what they gotta do", and I don't have a problem with that, but they better not whine during football season when they get blown out.

27 minutes ago, ECBucFan said:

Running into smaller teams in every sport across the board certainly will help.

My friends in DV will enjoy being the biggest in their district, rather than being the smallest in their district like they have been for years. Thats a no brainer.  

As for Kountze, they "gotta do what they gotta do", and I don't have a problem with that, but they better not whine during football season when they get blown out.

Everybody whines when they get blown out any sport.. It Is what it is....

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Big Sandy is 2A...and they're better than Kountze.  Basketball is not like football...class makes a huge difference in football.  But in basketball it doesn't.  Now you get to run into more teams that play basketball only.  Think that's gonna help?

Big Sandy is not in their new district. All I'm saying is that Deweyville will compete better in this 2A district. That is a no brainer

6 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

Big Sandy is not in their new district. All I'm saying is that Deweyville will compete better in this 2A district. That is a no brainer

No...I'm not arguing that.  Their new district is pretty bad.  Really bad actually...UIL was very kind to Deweyville in this instance.  But they could've easily gotten some local 2A schools that are capable of doing to them what Kounzte does to them as well.

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

No...I'm not arguing that.  Their new district is pretty bad.  Really bad actually...UIL was very kind to Deweyville in this instance.  But they could've easily gotten some local 2A schools that are capable of doing to them what Kounzte does to them as well.

I can agree with that. Playoffs I can see them getting beat up on. Evadale could blow them out, other than that I don't see why they couldnt take 2nd or 3rd in this new district. 

5 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

I can agree with that. Playoffs I can see them getting beat up on. Evadale could blow them out, other than that I don't see why they couldnt take 2nd or 3rd in this new district. 

Potentially.  I have no idea what Dville has...nor the other schools.  I just know what they've had previous.  Sabine Pass could be scary any given year...just depends on what they get from PA. HD is a you never know...and WH is a you never know.  But either way..you are correct Dville should be competitive in that district.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Class makes a HUGE difference in basketball, just like football.  Big Sandy is an anomaly.  They'd be ranked #1 in 3A if they were moved up a classification.  That is not a normal thing.  Deweyville would be competitive with the rest of Big Sandy's district, unlike the one they're in now.  That would be a direct result of dropping down with smaller schools with less kids to choose from.  To go further into the effect that class makes, what would happen to #1 Silsbee if they moved up to 5A?  They'd still be very good, but are they sniffing the regional tourney? I highly doubt it, and Silsbee is a very special team.  HJ is a ranked 4A team, and at best they're getting the 4th playoff spot if they move up to our local 5A district.  Class does matter, and Deweyville will benefit in all sports, including basketball, by dropping down.  

23 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Class makes a HUGE difference in basketball, just like football.  Big Sandy is an anomaly.  They'd be ranked #1 in 3A if they were moved up a classification.  That is not a normal thing.  Deweyville would be competitive with the rest of Big Sandy's district, unlike the one they're in now.  That would be a direct result of dropping down with smaller schools with less kids to choose from.  To go further into the effect that class makes, what would happen to #1 Silsbee if they moved up to 5A?  They'd still be very good, but are they sniffing the regional tourney? I highly doubt it, and Silsbee is a very special team.  HJ is a ranked 4A team, and at best they're getting the 4th playoff spot if they move up to our local 5A district.  Class does matter, and Deweyville will benefit in all sports, including basketball, by dropping down.  

A basketball team beating a school of higher classification is a normal thing.  It happens every single year...all over the country...in high school and in college.

It does not happen nearly as often in football or baseball.  That's because in basketball you have 5 players.  A good group is a good group.  Or 1 or 2 REALLY good players and a few decent players is still a good team.  That happens only in basketball.

Had Dville been put in a district with Big Sandy, San Augustine, West Sabine, Grapeland, Alto....they would've gotten skull drug exactly like they are now.

And yes when you get to a certain point in playoffs bigger schools will often prevail.  Silsbee and HJ are traditionally pretty dang good basketball teams.  Lets take some other 4A schools and see how they might fair in the local 3A district (Kountze, Buna, Woodville)... HF, Orangefield, Liberty, Tarkington, Coldspring,...um...I'm not seeing much difference between schools with 100+ more kids.  and...You're talking Ozen and Central I'm sure...which have both made the 5A state tourney recently.  What about the bottom feeders of that 5A district?  Lumberton plays Kountze every year...right?  How does that go?  

And let's talk girls hoops a second..  Evadale's girls beat just about every team in this area, any classification (that they play).  And when's the last time they made it to the state tourney?  So if HF, Buna, Silsbee, Lumberton,...all lose to Evadale (2A), and Evadale gets eliminated round 3...are we to assume Lumberton's girls wouldn't make the 2A state tourney?  I don't think that's far fetched..

55 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

A basketball team beating a school of higher classification is a normal thing.  It happens every single year...all over the country...in high school and in college.

It does not happen nearly as often in football or baseball.  That's because in basketball you have 5 players.  A good group is a good group.  Or 1 or 2 REALLY good players and a few decent players is still a good team.  That happens only in basketball.

Had Dville been put in a district with Big Sandy, San Augustine, West Sabine, Grapeland, Alto....they would've gotten skull drug exactly like they are now.

And yes when you get to a certain point in playoffs bigger schools will often prevail.  Silsbee and HJ are traditionally pretty dang good basketball teams.  Lets take some other 4A schools and see how they might fair in the local 3A district (Kountze, Buna, Woodville)... HF, Orangefield, Liberty, Tarkington, Coldspring,...um...I'm not seeing much difference between schools with 100+ more kids.  and...You're talking Ozen and Central I'm sure...which have both made the 5A state tourney recently.  What about the bottom feeders of that 5A district?  Lumberton plays Kountze every year...right?  How does that go?  

And let's talk girls hoops a second..  Evadale's girls beat just about every team in this area, any classification (that they play).  And when's the last time they made it to the state tourney?  So if HF, Buna, Silsbee, Lumberton,...all lose to Evadale (2A), and Evadale gets eliminated round 3...are we to assume Lumberton's girls wouldn't make the 2A state tourney?  I don't think that's far fetched..

the reason it doesn't happen in football is that they only play 10 regular season games, and maybe 1 or 2 are out of classification.  I'll use HJ as an example, simply because i'm familiar with them.  In football  they didn't play a single game above their classification.  They also only had 4 or 5 spots to even schedule a game against a higher classification. In basketball, thanks to tournaments and a lengthy pre-district schedule,  HJ basketball played over a dozen teams from higher classifications, with 8 or 9 wins.  Now, i understand that HJ has a good basketball team, and not a good football team, but you get my point.   

"Had Dville been put in a district with Big Sandy, San Augustine, West Sabine, Grapeland, Alto....they would've gotten skull drug exactly like they are now."

but now you're making a super-district out of all the top teams in the region.  Thats now how this works.  Had Deweyville been in Big Sandy's district this year, they'd have gotten to compete against Bob Hope, Colmesneil, Hull-Daisetta, Sabine Pass, Evadale, and West Hardin.  Only two of those teams would've blown them out, maybe 3, and they likely would've won 5 or 6 district games.  Big difference between that and getting smashed by every team in the district but one.

But its called classless and running the score up in football.  Is it not the same thing in basketball or any other sport?  Ok so he gets a career high of 50 what if it would have been 50 and a high ankle sprain  Then what have you accomplished? Those don't heal overnight hes probably out the rest of the year..

3 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

But its called classless and running the score up in football.  Is it not the same thing in basketball or any other sport?  Ok so he gets a career high of 50 what if it would have been 50 and a high ankle sprain  Then what have you accomplished? Those don't heal overnight hes probably out the rest of the year..

Totally agree.  And what's 50 against an opponent that likely couldn't beat your jv team?

Here are some district results from ONE area team:

100-26

101-35

102-36

106-11

99-26

98-23

All of these scores are from a VERY classy team....Big Sandy. And I left quite a few scores out. They just happen to play in a very weak district. It's true that you aren't accomplishing much to brag about beating up on a JV like team, but the alternative is to sit your starters half the game. If you do that, a 30 game season becomes a 15 game season for the starters. They won't be ready for the post season. A coach has to consider that as well.

Exactly... I was one on Yates a few years ago for some of the scores.  And still think some things can be worked on in these games.  But watching my Tigers the last couple of years, playing much the same way, I see the need to keep the guys going late in games so they stay conditioned mentally as well as physically to keep going when needed.  I have seen us work on a few things at times but have seen both sides.  In most cases now I think instead of complaining find a way to keep it from happening.  Now like Bullets said in cases where the score gets out of hand players are at risk. I have seen some of that side as well.