TOM WESTERBERG HIRED AS NEW BARBERS HILL AD/HC!

I hear Surratt is a target.

Ive seen Carthage play for years.

Every offensive snap they go to the line with 4 plays. One run to either side and 1 pass to either side. The kids are taught to read, make protection calls  and make the call with whatever the defense gives you. Its all about teaching the kids

If youve got smart coachable kids you will win and win big

I think anybody with a state championship ring is a target......don't think that money will pull coaches away....Gage was not their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice when they hired him. If my sources ard correct they flew the coach from Abilene Wiley in 1st and he got Wiley to match....same happened to the next two before the got Gage, which his son was interning at Wiley.  I agree that the AD and HC should be two different positions,  however, your not attracting most good coaches without them being together

There hasn't been a team in our classification win a title since 06 when LM won I believe.  Lamar Consoladated in 07 but I don't think they were in our region. Why? Tons of talent in region 3. If it's not money and coaching wouldn't we scrape one out every now and then. The only reason I keep bringing up Aledo is because they keep winning. Let's leave them out though. This year if no team from out region wins a title which is very probable that would make 9 years and counting and if you look at who keeps winning a vast majority of time it's teams with money and coaching. Yes they have talent but my argument is they have talent because of the 2 things I mentioned. Guess we will see come December. I will wager that the teams that walk away with rings in our classification will be wealthy well coached and will not be the 2 teams with a ton of D1 talent. Otherwise my SOC pick of last year would of been spot on.

Think about it though. Of the last possible 20 titles Aledo and Travis have won 10 of them. Region 3 has played for either 10 or 11 of the possible 20 titles, it's hard to beat those teams though. They're not trading off teams and still beating everybody, it's the same few teams over and over. Even if you look at Vandy which beat CP in district play last year, they scored 35 on Temple and still lost by 41. Temple barely beat Ridge Point and George Ranch by 3 points last year the two rounds prior, the only thing remembered is that they lost to Aledo though.

So with money, coaching and 2400+ kids in 5A Vandy still got smoked. I know Travis moved up but they still have money and coaching right? Well, so far in 6A they have made it out of the second round once. Last year they lost to Spring which I believed finished fourth in their district and this year they get Westfield in the second round, lets see what the money and coaching does for them when they get some studs from north Houston lined up across from them again. Even when they did get past he second round it didn't help against Cedar Hill. Much like having the best players its also different when you have the most players, which is what BH will need to consistently compete. Those Leander ISD schools in 25-5A are a lot like LT when they just had more kids than everybody they played.  

I think anybody with a state championship ring is a target......don't think that money will pull coaches away....Gage was not their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice when they hired him. If my sources ard correct they flew the coach from Abilene Wiley in 1st and he got Wiley to match....same happened to the next two before the got Gage, which his son was interning at Wiley.  I agree that the AD and HC should be two different positions,  however, your not attracting most good coaches without them being together

It's a dream to have a separate HC and AD, but I know it will be one. I just think if you can afford to do it, it works better imo.

Think about it though. Of the last possible 20 titles Aledo and Travis have won 10 of them. Region 3 has played for either 10 or 11 of the possible 20 titles, it's hard to beat those teams though. They're not trading off teams and still beating everybody, it's the same few teams over and over. Even if you look at Vandy which beat CP in district play last year, they scored 35 on Temple and still lost by 41. Temple barely beat Ridge Point and George Ranch by 3 points last year the two rounds prior, the only thing remembered is that they lost to Aledo though.

So with money, coaching and 2400+ kids in 5A Vandy still got smoked. I know Travis moved up but they still have money and coaching right? Well, so far in 6A they have made it out of the second round once. Last year they lost to Spring which I believed finished fourth in their district and this year they get Westfield in the second round, lets see what the money and coaching does for them when they get some studs from north Houston lined up across from them again. Even when they did get past he second round it didn't help against Cedar Hill. Much like having the best players its also different when you have the most players, which is what BH will need to consistently compete. Those Leander ISD schools in 25-5A are a lot like LT when they just had more kids than everybody they played.  

They could trade off teams and beat every body. LT's first title came against Highland Park in overtime I believe. Tells me HP was most likely the second best team on the state. 2 of LT's titles came after they beat Tivy with JM. Tivy most likely wins state 2 years if not for LT. I'm just stating facts. In our classification nobody has won a title since 06 and probably won't this year. Crosby has a nice team and would fight for 3rd or 4th in CP's district. It's different ball in the DFW and Austin area and if you don't think so nothing I can say will change your mind.

Edited by bronco pride

They could trade off teams and beat every body. LT's first title came against Highland Park in overtime I believe. Tells me HP was most likely the second best team on the state. 2 of LT's titles came after they beat Tivy with JM. Tivy most likely wins state 2 years if not for LT. I'm just stating facts. In our classification nobody has won a title since 06 and probably won't this year. Crosby has a nice team and would fight for 3rd or 4th in CP's district. It's different ball in the DFW and Austin area and if you don't think so nothing I can say will change your mind.

All my comments where about 5A.. 6A is a totally different ballgame.. Also classifications are so jacked up as well. Use Manvel for example when they formed.. Its just hard for a 1400 5A school to compete without money, facilities, and coaching.. You have to get a few kids every now and again to compete.. Thats correct i said compete... Winning at a high level is another story... This started with Lamarque, the Stephenville, then Southlake, then Lake Travis, and so on.. Whoever is the hot team at the time gets it rolling for a few years.. Whats crazy is look what happened at Lamarque.. No longer a school after this year.. But look at the location!!!! Baytown vs say Austin, just hard to compete... Lamar consolidated had a run but had the likes of Jaquizz Rodgers.. Its a business.... What are you willing to give up to win!!!

Crosby would probably finish second in that district. Vandy just lost to Georgetown to finish the season and Vista Ridge along with Vandy play 0 defense. You'll see that if Vandy or Vista Ridge make the semis and Temple drops another 70 on them. LC was the last one from the region to win a 5A title but like I said, we had 10 or 11 tries out of the 20. I think region 4 has played for 9 or 10 out of a possible 20. All it tells me is our one or two very best have a hard time beating their one or two very best teams. There's one good 5A district in the entirety of region 4, how does that put them on a different level? Port Lavaca is a monster in region 4, even beat Cedar Park before they lost by 35 to Brenham in the semis. They can't finish above 4th place in their own district in region 3. Other than a handful of schools the recruiting in the Austin/San Antonio is a joke. You'll never change my mind as far as region 4 goes.  

As far as the DFW goes in 5A, who are the next best teams after Aledo and why don't they just use their model since all you need is some money and a coach to create talent? It's a lot of Mansfield, Ennis, John Tyler, Marshall, Longview, etc. I think you're getting it misconstrued because the singularity that is Aledo can beat those teams, my question is why aren't there more Aledo's? Is there only money and good coaches at Aledo and Cedar Park? I think you're right in that what we feel is needed to win is different so we'll just disagree on it.   

Crosby would probably finish second in that district. Vandy just lost to Georgetown to finish the season and Vista Ridge along with Vandy play 0 defense. You'll see that if Vandy or Vista Ridge make the semis and Temple drops another 70 on them. LC was the last one from the region to win a 5A title but like I said, we had 10 or 11 tries out of the 20. I think region 4 has played for 9 or 10 out of a possible 20. All it tell me is our one or two very best have a hard time beating their one or two very best teams. There's one good 5A district in the entirety of region 4, how does that put them on a different level? Port Lavaca is a monster in region 4, even beat Cedar Park before they lost by 35 to Brenham in the semis. They can't finish above 4th place in their own district in region 3. Other than a handful of schools the recruiting in the Austin/San Antonio is a joke. You'll never change my mind as far as region 4 goes.  

As far as the DFW goes in 5A, who are the next best teams after Aledo and why don't they just use their model since all you need is some money and a coach to create talent? It's a lot of Mansfield, Ennis, John Tyler, Marshall, Longview, etc. I think you're getting it misconstrued because the singularity that is Aledo can beat those teams, my question is what aren't there more Aledo's? Is there only money and good coaches at Aledo and Cedar Park? I think you're right in that what we feel is needed to win is different so we'll just disagree on it.   

The answer is because money doesnt create the talent, it buys it... Get the good facilities, good coaches, and get that lucky break of winning a SC, and bam, here they come... Just like all the dynasties.. If anyone is thinking these kids are homegrown, well,, you know what I am saying.... LT is a prime example, look at what they had done before the 5 years... Absolutely nothing... And it helps your recruiting from Westlake first, then around the state...

Edited by Stattrax

that guy was a beast! I believe it was him who I saw run all over Euless Trinity in a state title game. 

He was the first common day recruit.. Stud in Pop, mom got a gig at CJ as a secretary, went to court, blah, blah, blah.. Won back to backs, owned the rushing record for years.. He was a beast, trust me.... 

He was the first common day recruit.. Stud in Pop, mom got a gig at CJ as a secretary, went to court, blah, blah, blah.. Won back to backs, owned the rushing record for years.. He was a beast, trust me.... 

yep. Happened in Odessa too, a certain RB amongst other players were not suppose to be at the HS they're famously from. ;)

CJ sort of gets a pass because of the military base though, that's the prime reason they've been so good for so long. They've had good coaches, maybe one of the best but they get to play with a marked deck. 

Ironically BH gave Charli Collier's mom a job. She just happens to be the top ranked girls basketball recruit in the country in her class. She should be gearing up with Netherly's little sister for a championship run but hey, it is what it is. 

I highly doubt the folks at New Caney, which is usually a layup, care how the product got on the field. They just like what they saw. I always believed if you build it they'll come too. It's evident from some of the conversations I've had and heard of with people thinking/wanting to move into the district. 

My theory is that if you find a great coach and the community supplies the talent, that coach is going to win regardless of money, facilities or anything else. Just give him the players, however that may be. 

judson probably not a good example.  They get all of the army kids. That is the reason they do so well.

Dont be fooled into thinking that... Maybe a little bit of help, but those army kids move frequently according to the government, not CJ... While most SA schools play at neutral stadiums, CJ had what was the best stadium around back in the 90s.. Nowadays it's cool but not the best.. But we all know the tradition the Rockets have.. They pick up whatever they want from wherever they wanted back in the day.... And win year in year out.. I played with a fella named Priest Holmes in High School... He was legit... Army kid.... CJ begged for him.. But he stayed at Marshall and made it to A SC before losing to Permian... Another fella named Ndkwe Kalu, legit beast, both played in the league for years. And yes CJ made offers.. Another Army kid... Wayne Mggarity from SA Clark, same thing.. I have seen first hand from real legit future NFL players how it works... I won't get started about when both signed for college.... Just say this Erick Dickerson probably made a million before he left High School......lol..

The right coach can win with the athletes BH has.....just have to get the right coach, one that is gonna get kids to want to play again. Over the past several years too many kids have quit to concentrate on one sport....mostly baseball. And if you truly look at the baseball team....they don't have D1 players there either, but I'll get to that when baseball starts up on that thread. I think a big name is a mistake. BH will try to bring a coach in with rings, but it will probably be one that is close to his way out. Young and energetic is what they need. 

As for Bruce Taylor as HC......no......great guy, but don't think kids want to play for him either.....he should be on his way out as well....42 years is a long time to coach

I don't think there were many kids that went to baseball over football, at least not any that would had made a huge impact in football,   No big lineman or speedy RBs in baseball,  two totally different skill sets,  Disagree there are a couple of true D1 players on baseball team,  team has been very young the last couple of years,, some of those kids are now coming into their own, that forum has about 2 more months to go.   Bruce Taylor is a great guy,(agree with you)  but kids do love playing for him, but know he would not be in the running nor would i think he would even want to be(.I hope he stays to hit 50 years,)  Young coaches can see how to treat kids and be the role model he is (great example to players and coaches).   I do think we need  energetic coach no matter what age,and one that can connect to the kids.  Again I think most everyone knows we don't have any D1 kids in football, but we have some high school football players and they can compete, maybe not for a district title every year or deep play-off runs, but can be competitive and buy into what the coach is selling and start on the foundation that BH has, as of now BH just needs a boost for it's football program, got to start somewhere. Will be a long process, but with the right guy, they have a good foundation to start to build on. Who knows what they may be like in 5 years with the right guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the BH posted the job opening on the THSCA web site. Interesting, I wonder if that means they have been turned down by all of the people they have contacted.

They have to post the job:

SB 387 79th Legislature
School districts must implement the new requirements regarding posting notice of vacancies for which a license or certificate is required under Section 21.003. The district must provide such notice by posting the position on a bulletin board at a place convenient to the public in the district's central administrative office, a bulletin board at the central administrative office of each campus in the district during any time the office is open, and the district's Internet website, if any.