La Marque

ladybug33

• 1 month later...

Well now here's the next question.  What school will get a majority of the students? And will it help or hurt that district?

On one hand..La Marque isn't anything like it was athletically..but they do still have some very athletic kids.  On the other hand..some school may get a quite a few more kids, which could result in issues as far as capacity, classification (maybe), and the fact they'll be getting a bunch of kids that haven't met academic standards.  Along with some potential discipline issues (from what I hear).

So..La Marque is shutting down.  Good or bad?

Well now here's the next question.  What school will get a majority of the students? And will it help or hurt that district?

It depends, Texas City or Dickinson make the most sense, but they can say no. Could end up being Hitchcock or Galveston. If La Marque is in debt the school district that annexes them have to assume the debt, which might make a lot of the schools say no.

This is a sad situation and poor management on administrators who did not care about the welfare of the students and community of La Marque. Maybe which ever school district decides to take over the students from La Marque can reach an agreement with TEA to write off the debt that is owed, otherwise, What will be the solution.

This is a sad situation and poor management on administrators who did not care about the welfare of the students and community of La Marque. Maybe which ever school district decides to take over the students from La Marque can reach an agreement with TEA to write off the debt that is owed, otherwise, What will be the solution.

It is wrong, but TEA has a history of picking and choosing what schools they want closed. According to one website I saw La Marques debt was 20 million, but that is probably wrong. The only example that could possibly compare to this is when TEA forced Wilmer-Hutchins to shut down. Lancaster was the first choice but they said no. Others had said no before. Dallas ended up annexing it, because of tax revenue. They were also able to make things right, by giving the community its high school back a couple of years later after renovations. La Marque is not going to be big enough for that to happen. All the history is going to be lost.

They only turned in a snapshot enrollment of 481 which puts them down almost to 3A size. I doubt it would affect the enrollment of any of the surrounding larger schools at all and would just move Hitchcock to a medium 4A size if they happened to get them all.

Edited by Goblin

Surly, there will be some accountability to the individual (S) who abused the system by mis-appropriating funds. Someone has to face the consequences for their actions. I believe if people truly believe in (whistle-blowing protection act of 1989) they may come forward and tell what they know about what happened in La Marque.  

Would this bump them to 6A next year as far as sports goes? Or next snapshot? 

I don't think UIL has a plan for this. It has only really happened once with Wilmer-Hutchins. The other consolidations were with small schools that made no effect and were voted on a year before. I am guessing UIL will speak with TEA and add the 485 to whatever school annexes them. This means UIL will probably have to have two or three (with Hitchcock) realignments. It is tricky, but I did read on TheOldCoach that there is a chance that Texas City may annex and keep the school open. I do not think UIL would allow Texas City to stay 5A if they do annex because that would put their enrollment up to 2200-2300. This is all just a guess, because it has not happened before.

I don't think Dickinson can handle the added population. According to their site, they owe over $200 million in debt. They've seen tremendous growth and are passing bonds left and right. LM already has a couple of schools with Texas City address. The only way I see Dickinson getting athletes is if they have open enrollment, which I think they had a while back. What a cluster.

I grew up in TC/LM area I graduated at TC most folks from this area seen this coming yrs  ago I know its a sad thing to say but I blame all parties for this situation to happen all the  way up to the superintendent to all down to the students/parents I went to school with some guys who were struggling in TC but transfer to LM for sports graduate with honors at LM the school district supports what it wants to support before school started this yr it was a lady went to register her son for school and thought he was in a certain grade but told her that he had failed now how can you not know what's going on at your child school but y'all get my point I think most of the students will annex to TC this talk has been going on for yrs so I know TC has planned for this to happened