For all you "Elite", "Select" folks

AggiesAreWe

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/keown-110823/elite-travel-baseball-basketball-teams-make-youth-sports-industrial-complex

Exert from article:

I found a great nugget the other day: a notice for a 10-and-under baseball team that's having tryouts for its extensive fall tournament schedule. The notice included the following sentence: "The team needs competitive youngsters who are looking to play baseball at the next level."

Let's parse that for a moment. Someone needs to explain to me what the "next level" is for a kid who's 10 or younger. I dare you to define it. Is it 11-and-under? Maybe 12-and-under? And if so, are there really 10-year-olds who are striving to play baseball at the 12-and-under level? Wouldn't it just happen naturally -- you know, with age?

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/keown-110823/elite-travel-baseball-basketball-teams-make-youth-sports-industrial-complex

Exert from article:

I found a great nugget the other day: a notice for a 10-and-under baseball team that's having tryouts for its extensive fall tournament schedule. The notice included the following sentence: "The team needs competitive youngsters who are looking to play baseball at the next level."

Let's parse that for a moment. Someone needs to explain to me what the "next level" is for a kid who's 10 or younger. I dare you to define it. Is it 11-and-under? Maybe 12-and-under? And if so, are there really 10-year-olds who are striving to play baseball at the 12-and-under level? Wouldn't it just happen naturally -- you know, with age?

The LL World Series of course.

• 1 month later...

I am sure your negative comments are directed at adults, but I guarantee you that even at 10 years old these kids can have a competitive fire, passion, and love for the game that will astound you!  You must not have kids. Kids of the same age are at different skill levels, athletic ability, and pure knowledge of baseball. Which is why they have different levels of competition so kids of the same age can compete. It's good to have close games so the kids can learn and have fun vs winning or losing by a bunch all the time. 

The lowest to highest level of competition in Nations is the Select division, Elite, then Premier. The kids I know are working their tails off to get to the next level of competition. 

• 1 month later...

But he didn't play year round. Neither did I. 

He's talking about current kids that play baseball year round and no other sports.  We played 12 little league games plus a few all-star games then moved on to the next sport.  We didn't have the option of select baseball year round so we had to find something else to do.  

He's talking about current kids that play baseball year round and no other sports.  We played 12 little league games plus a few all-star games then moved on to the next sport.  We didn't have the option of select baseball year round so we had to find something else to do.  

I know what he's talking about. I'm talking about what was his reason for having Tommy John? I didn't play year round, and I had Tommy John. What exactly is year round baseball? Do people actually play non stop 12 months a year?