Need info on West Brook's Rodney Brown

Solid player and good kid.  6'3"-6'4".  Can slash and can shoot from 3.  Needs to work on his mid-range some more.  Caught the attention of several scouts over the weekend at the Kingwood Classic with some highlight dunks and overall good play.  Very athletic.

Good kid from good family.  Mother is ex-military and has raised Rodney to be a respectful, nice young man.  I had the pleasure of coaching him many years ago in Little Dribblers, and he is the type of kid you really pull for.  Good grades too.

he's closer to 6'5" 6'6".  Good Shooter, mad hops, long athletic, good shot blocker on ball or away, good FT shooter, smart kid.

Sometimes relies on hops too much when rebounding....work on blocking out better.

also dribble drives baseline a high % of the time.  work on change of direction and mid range jumpers.

hit the weight room big time cause at 6'5" 6'6" and 175lbs.  needs to be about 210 to 215lb 

My personal opinion....he's a sleeper....His best years are still ahead of him.  Diamond in the rough.  Could see him having success at a high mid major. 

So why hasn't this kid signed yet?? Were these evaluations of this kid echoed by Coach Simon?
Dickie, did you contact his HS Coach first or at least have your friends contact him?? I know AAU is an avenue, but some HS Coaches are there for the right reasons. Just asking, maybe both of you can work together to help this kid. He has ability & is a great kid.

So why hasn't this kid signed yet?? Were these evaluations of this kid echoed by Coach Simon?
Dickie, did you contact his HS Coach first or at least have your friends contact him?? I know AAU is an avenue, but some HS Coaches are there for the right reasons. Just asking, maybe both of you can work together to help this kid. He has ability & is a great kid.

I don't think the average high school coach could evaluate a kid's talent for playing beyond high school. 

So who are the better evaluators? AAU coaches?

Coaches who consistently that see the top talent play top talent, regardless of location/classification of play. It's just not the same in HS, even at the 6A level. Apart from teams like Plano West, you just don't see the conglomeration of talent that you see with the top summer programs. Until you see a kid compete against that level of competition, it is difficult to predict how his game will translate at the next level. For instance, a coach at a Findlay Prep or Oak Hill will carry more weight because they consistently play a higher level of competition.

Certainly there are plenty of HS coaches who have an eye and can identify those types of players but there are probably more who could not. You have to keep in mind you are talking about coaches from 6A to 1A and how many are not even adept at coaching at their respective levels.

Are the average AAU coaches better than the average high school coach?

I don't have as big of a sample size of AAU coaching as I do of HS coaches. I would say that most of the coaching Dove saw with his son at the AAU level he played was better than the "average" HS coach.

I will say you should be very thankful your kids are well coached both during the school season and the summers.

I don't have any kids playing basketball.

Still doesn't answer the question.

Who are better? Average AAU coach or average high school coach?

Were those AAU coaches considered average?

Absolutely not. For instance, the coach who coaches Bridgeport's kids in the summer was on of the most successful HS coaches in the metroplex before being hired away.

Average coaches are average, I suppose, whether it be at the AAU level or the HS level. I know you and I have a similar idea of "good coaching" from conversations we have had about particular coaches. Like I said, I don't have near the sample size of HS AAU coaches as I have seen in the HS's themselves. I would say winwin could probably answer this question better than most.

I personally know their parents and it would be wrong and disrespectful to claim them as "my kids".

Again, who are better? Average aau, average hs?

I wasn't saying that in the biological sense of the word. But you're right, probably could have phrased that better ;)