Need info on West Brook's Rodney Brown

You don't have to be an above average coach to get your players noticed.

AAU is about exposure. That is something high schools can't offer. Like it or not, it's the game you have to play.

Talking to coaches I've known for a long time, the amount of money switching hands at the AAU level is mind boggling. That has nothing to do with coaching.

Hopefully this young man gets an opportunity to continue to play.

I have to say I am definitely not an AAU expert by any means having only seen a few tourneys this year. But from what I have seen, I wouldn't think the average aau coach is on the same level as the averag high school coach. Now the top level coaches I don't know. But as far as average I just don't think they would have the same education or experience that a high school coach has. Like was said they don't necessarily have to be as good to benefit the players in big ways. The players get exposure and the benefit of playing time and seeing other competition, those pay off.

I really can't say the AAU coach is better because the Summer Coach gets to choose his players. Some get the best talent from the area/state. Shouldn't be hard to Coach a ton of talent with no school board telling you who to play, not to mention you can dangle the carrot of College exposure. No hard to get kids motivated to play.
Your top AAU Coaches are paid, that's their Job to win, they are given top talent, top assistants, trainers & a good budget & sponsorship. Give this support to your average HS Coach, we may be able to end this discussion

Are the average AAU coaches better than the average high school coach?

Who really knows. Any answer would only be an opinion. Everybody would agree that there are good and bad "average" coaches in high school and AAU. But I haven't seen or heard a coach indict himself for being an average coach at this point in my life, and doubt I ever will. But I do think the average AAU coach may understand his players strengths and weaknesses better than an average high school coach, I think thats the difference. Many high school coaches coach their system, not their players.

Were those AAU coaches considered average?

Average? Credential wise no. Google Kyle Manary or Tim Schumacher.  Probably the biggest difference I've seen is that a lot of these AAU coaches at the higher level in AAU have some sort of long term success at different  stages of their careers. Definitely not average careers. Constantly evolving by learning & teaching.

If I may....AAU is the DEVIL! :D (Thought I would get that out of the way) There are some very good AAU coaches and programs, there are some very good high school coaches and programs.  On the flip side there are very bad ones as well, on the AAU side AND the high school side. You cannot say who is BETTER necessarily for recruiting because its all relative to who you are talking about.  EXAMPLE; I think HJ's Clay Davis knows how to evaluate high school talent and knows how to push his kids in the right direction and can communicate with college coaches about kids...I don't trust EVERYONE'S evaluation on kids, but his I do, and have.  There are not MANY AAU coaches who give accurate evaluations...They are usually just about pumping up "their" kids in order to gain personal recognition in the basketball community...There are some AAU guys that are serious about helping kids AND know the game well enough to really help college coaches seek out the right fit for their programs...But I must say that THAT number is FAR LESS than the high school coaches that are qualified and can and will actually help their kids play at the next level.  I must be honest..Southeast Texas does not have many high school coaches anymore out side of the obvious ones that promote their kids and programs, especially like it used to be.  Thus the influence of the AAU guys has been greater in SE Texas than EVER....Solution? HIRE MORE BASKETBALL GUYS on the high school level and less guys that can coach basketball "too"......BUT, thats another conversation for another thread! ;)

If I may....AAU is the DEVIL! :D (Thought I would get that out of the way) There are some very good AAU coaches and programs, there are some very good high school coaches and programs.  On the flip side there are very bad ones as well, on the AAU side AND the high school side. You cannot say who is BETTER necessarily for recruiting because its all relative to who you are talking about.  EXAMPLE; I think HJ's Clay Davis knows how to evaluate high school talent and knows how to push his kids in the right direction and can communicate with college coaches about kids...I don't trust EVERYONE'S evaluation on kids, but his I do, and have.  There are not MANY AAU coaches who give accurate evaluations...They are usually just about pumping up "their" kids in order to gain personal recognition in the basketball community...There are some AAU guys that are serious about helping kids AND know the game well enough to really help college coaches seek out the right fit for their programs...But I must say that THAT number is FAR LESS than the high school coaches that are qualified and can and will actually help their kids play at the next level.  I must be honest..Southeast Texas does not have many high school coaches anymore out side of the obvious ones that promote their kids and programs, especially like it used to be.  Thus the influence of the AAU guys has been greater in SE Texas than EVER....Solution? HIRE MORE BASKETBALL GUYS on the high school level and less guys that can coach basketball "too"......BUT, thats another conversation for another thread! ;)

You could have ended the post after that first statement. Everything else was "blah blah blah blah. :D

I can see both sides, aau has grown a lot since it first started.  lil more watered down now.  Still great talent, but watered down some with players and coaches.

Good point. Its VERY watered down. IMHO, either you play Little Dribblers or start your own AAU team to get your kids involved. I'm only guessing that maybe the YMCA's still have teams.

Hey this post is about Rodney not AAU. lol. I know him and his parents. He is a great kid with a lot of upside. I have his parents number if anyone wants it. Parents would love for him to get a scholarship to further his education, not just basketball. Lets all get together and get this kid in school. He deserves it. I think he would be a great player in the SLC, with added strength and more knowledge of the game. Lamar should do him like they did Boshi. I know for a fact he is willing to do that.SOME ONE CONTACT TIC PRICE. ASAP

Hey this post is about Rodney not AAU. lol. I know him and his parents. He is a great kid with a lot of upside. I have his parents number if anyone wants it. Parents would love for him to get a scholarship to further his education, not just basketball. Lets all get together and get this kid in school. He deserves it. I think he would be a great player in the SLC, with added strength and more knowledge of the game. Lamar should do him like they did Boshi. I know for a fact he is willing to do that.SOME ONE CONTACT TIC PRICE. ASAP

Good point. And like Zjori, Rodney is a great student.

If Lamar were interested, I'm sure the Staff would have inquired by now. He's a great kid & a pretty good ball player. I also believe he would be an asset in the right situation in the SLC. I don't know what options he has, but this late in the year, not many Colleges have much left, unless you're a can't miss recruit. There have been exceptions to the Rule & I Pray this kid is the exception. Good shooter & decent athlete, this is a bit of a head scratcher. You guys close to the situation please keep us posted. Really pulling for him & all that are chasing their dreams.
I'd pay to see him in Red & White, I hope it happens

If Lamar were interested, I'm sure the Staff would have inquired by now. He's a great kid & a pretty good ball player. I also believe he would be an asset in the right situation in the SLC. I don't know what options he has, but this late in the year, not many Colleges have much left, unless you're a can't miss recruit. There have been exceptions to the Rule & I Pray this kid is the exception. Good shooter & decent athlete, this is a bit of a head scratcher. You guys close to the situation please keep us posted. Really pulling for him & all that are chasing their dreams.
I'd pay to see him in Red & White, I hope it happens

Good points Big Cam. Look like Lamar just signed or got a verbal commit from a 6'3" SG JUCO transfer.

What in the world is a "average" AAU Coach? A lot of you guys on here who are against AAU ball need to realize what these summer coaches do. I'm curious how many of these great High school coaches would coach for free if it wasn't for a paycheck... Wonder how many of them would spend multiple nights a week and multiple weekend away from their family in the gym and at tournaments spending their own money on these kids. I just lost respect for a couple of people on here and that's a shame.

Anyways... What determines a bad AAU coach, average AAU coach, and great AAU coach???

What makes high school coaches poor, average, or great???? To me it would be the number of scholarships their players get(hmmmm)... How many state championships they have(hmmmm). A lot of these high school coaches rely on talent to make them look good.

Stop downing people like me who spends a lot of time giving these young men something positive to look forward to after each season without making a penny.

Just to throw this in many high school basketball coaches make pennies for the time they put in.  They get paid to teach which isn't that much along with small stipend to coach. 

And coaching isn't just about the sport or athletic scholarships, but teaching young men and women about life.  Hard work, dedication, fortitude, etc etc etc.

I know some great junior high and high school coaches who have influenced young men morally and they didn't win a state championship. 

Just to throw this in many high school basketball coaches make pennies for the time they put in. They get paid to teach which isn't that much along with small stipend to coach.

And coaching isn't just about the sport or athletic scholarships, but teaching young men and women about life. Hard work, dedication, fortitude, etc etc etc.

I know some great junior high and high school coaches who have influenced young men morally and they didn't win a state championship.

But they do it for their job... And I know great junior high and high school coaches that have influenced plenty of young men also. But it's their job. Summer coaches do it for free and spend our own money.. Well some of us do.

Have a lot of the "better" AAU coaches gone on to the next coaching level? The "basketball market" is pretty sophisticated and I would surmise that if the AAU coaches are really good, they are likely to have gone on to the college level or professional level.

Some people are not in it for a career. Some of us do it for the love of the game and to create a positive environment for the youth

Good points Big Cam. Look like Lamar just signed or got a verbal commit from a 6'3" SG JUCO transfer.

Really?? Sure hope Mr Brown has some options, at least be able to get an Education. Such a class act every time I see him.
Is Mr Hunter ready for Lobo Land? Gonna be different not seeing him directing traffic for us anymore

Really?? Sure hope Mr Brown has some options, at least be able to get an Education. Such a class act every time I see him.
Is Mr Hunter ready for Lobo Land? Gonna be different not seeing him directing traffic for us anymore

If Rodney have some good peeps in his corner and advising him of his options, he should be okay. Its more to basketball than just certain divisions.

Just to throw this in many high school basketball coaches make pennies for the time they put in.  They get paid to teach which isn't that much along with small stipend to coach. 

And coaching isn't just about the sport or athletic scholarships, but teaching young men and women about life.  Hard work, dedication, fortitude, etc etc etc.

I know some great junior high and high school coaches who have influenced young men morally and they didn't win a state championship. 

1. Some of those  errr AAU coaches DON'T MAKE A DIME, in fact, many of them put in their own monies.

2.Those same AAU coaches teach the kids about hard work, dedication, fortitude, etc,etc, etc.

3. And I know some great AAU coaches who have influenced young men morally and did win a state championship  ;)

Hmmmm! 5 Gallon with those Westbrook ties  :lol:

If Rodney have some good peeps in his corner and advising him of his options, he should be okay. Its more to basketball than just certain divisions.

I totally agree, my Son was disappointed at first when he didn't land the Big D1 offer, but we kept him grounded. Lamar is a great fit & we don't have to pay a dime for his Education. Many of the kids need to be surrounded by people who actually knows what a kid is capable of & be realistic about their particular situations. Just tell the kids the Truth, that's All they want & need