Top 10 SETX Football Players Over Last 20 Years

Played for Jasper. Has had an extensive NFL career with the Falcons.

Was with Falcons until about a week ago.  Cardinals just signed him to a 1 year deal.

But I'm guessing Badsanta was questioning if he belonged on the list.  Let's see...

He played as a true freshman in the Big 12 and then made 1st Team Big12 the next 3 years as a LB.  Voted All-American at Mizzou and was a 1st round draft pick in the NFL.  Is now going in to his 6th season in the NFL.  I think he deserves to be mentioned on the list.  But that's just me.

Oh, and Rivals didn't think he was that good of a LB coming out of Jasper.  Shows what they know.

Was with Falcons until about a week ago. Cardinals just signed him to a 1 year deal.

But I'm guessing Badsanta was questioning if he belonged on the list. Let's see...
He played as a true freshman in the Big 12 and then made 1st Team Big12 the next 3 years as a LB. Voted All-American at Mizzou and was a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. Is now going in to his 6th season in the NFL. I think he deserves to be mentioned on the list. But that's just me.

Oh, and Rivals didn't think he was that good of a LB coming out of Jasper. Shows what they know.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure about what he meant either. Lol

Chip Ambres - West Brook '95-'97

Dustin Long - PN-G '99

Jamaal Charles - Port Arthur Memorial '03-'05

Christine Michael - West Brook '06-'08

LeFrederick Ford - Kirbyville '10

Earl Thomas III - WO-S '06

Desmond Doss - Silsbee '05-'06

Ben Wells - Ozen '07

Tony Brown - Ozen '13

Terrance Singleton - Port Arthur Memorial '10-'11

How the heck does Tony Brown make the list? Did you see him play in high school?

I don't know his stats, but during the game you would hear a lot of names. His was not one of them. He was not physical. He got run over by a quarterback. This is the same guy in the opening kickoff of a game against WB just let the ball sit in the endzone. TOUCHDOWN WB! He may be a very good player, but he did not standout on that team. There were a lot of players on that team who contributed more to their success. Go back and look at some of his teammates. Pay attention to the safeties and LBs. Play an Ozen tape and listen to the announcer. Top 10? I don't think he makes the list if you were just talking about Ozen kids only.

Sure, he could've been showcased more on offense... But on defense, even if the stats didn't show too much, he lined up with the best receivers in our district and took them Away by getting physical with them on the jam at the line of scrimmage and having the recovery speed to break up the pass... Btw, there are no stats for pass breakups....

I don't know his stats, but during the game you would hear a lot of names. His was not one of them. He was not physical. He got run over by a quarterback. This is the same guy in the opening kickoff of a game against WB just let the ball sit in the endzone. TOUCHDOWN WB! He may be a very good player, but he did not standout on that team. There were a lot of players on that team who contributed more to their success. Go back and look at some of his teammates. Pay attention to the safeties and LBs. Play an Ozen tape and listen to the announcer. Top 10? I don't think he makes the list if you were just talking about Ozen kids only.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that he only played corner his Fresh & Sr. years.. Yes his Jr. season was statistically his best and he was at Safety... 

If Tony is on your list you better add Kimler of Nederland and Rose of png. Saw both light him up

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1652461" timestamp="1426820232"]

He had an exceptional senior year... Kid was fast, big, and physical and could hold his own against any receiver that he covered..idiot fox jk /quote]ii

Tony Brown is the only person in the state that could come close to checking KD Cannon last year, a couple of times Cannon couldn't even get off the line. You know people in SETX are too close to the situation when they try to put two kids that saw limited time in the Southland conference in a category with the most highly recruited player to ever come out of the area. You have to be able to evaluate the whole situation, luckily Saban was a little better at that than some of the people east of the Trinity.

Tony Brown is the only person in the state that could come close to checking KD Cannon last year, a couple of times Cannon couldn't even get off the line. You know people in SETX are too close to the situation when they try to put two kids that saw limited time in the Southland conference in a category with the most highly recruited player to ever come out of the area. You have to be able to evaluate the whole situation, luckily Saban was a little better at that than some of the people east of the Trinity.

very well spoken, typed, put.. some go off of their own personal feelings/opinions when it comes to their evaluation of players.. when you evaluate Tony you should keep in mind that he only played CB his Fr. and Sr. b/c of the defensive schemes he played in. Tony played in a zone blitz scheme his soph and jr years from the safety position which was a better fit for the players around him. his sr yr Tony played man to man which is why he is was the top recruit in the state of texas his ability to play man coverage was un matched by any other hs player in the state.. KC Cannon was one of the top 5 WR in the country in their class and tony at times made him look mediocre.. someone keeps bringing up Rose from PNG, good kid no dought but no one has mentioned the 102 yard int return Tony brought back against PNG when they kept trying to force Rose the ball. I mean seriously I think Im gonna go with Nick Saban and his recruiters evaluation of Tony Brown then some qb club board member who couldnt spot talent if it sat at the same dinner table with em 

Then why is this thread even up if we can't say opinions on a player?
Tony is a good cornerback and I wish him all the best. The two times I saw him his senior year the WR he matched up with had pretty darn good games.

On another point and not in reference to Tony but college coaches do make mistakes. If they didn't Garrett Gilbert would have won a Heilman and a national championship

Most highly recruited ever?? Based on what criteria?

Remember, "ever" is a long time. ;)