Best High School Game you've been to??

Guest JoesBros

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this thread was for non-playoff games?

Anyway, the Silsbee-Nederland game of '93 that was mentioned earlier was a classic. Jay McGuire of Silsbee( Willie Ray Smith award winner that year ) had 454 yards rushing and 6 tds to bolster his total yards for the game to right at 600 yards!! The game was back and forth until Silsbee made a key defensive stop in the 4th to get a 10 point lead and won the game 48-45. The qb for Nederland( forget his name ) had a terrific game with over 275 yards passing. He picked Silsbee apart. To say the least, it was a very exciting game.

The thing about this game that amazed me was not what took place that night, but what took place later on in the season. Silsbee faced Nederland in the 1st round of the playoffs without Jay McGuire. He broke his leg in the last game of the season against Jasper. Most people figured that we had no chance against Nederland without him, seeing that he basically won the first game by himself. But the Tigers changed up their defensive scheme from the last time they faced the Bulldogs, and came away with a 34-7 win. The Tigers sacked Nederland's qb a total of 10 times that night, basically blitzing on every down. Playing the zone in the first game was not effective at all, so they decided to live and die by the blitz. Good call.

I have both of those games plus all of Silsbee's games that season on video tape if anyone would like to see them.

2001----Lufkin vs. Trinity--state semis---Reggie became a East Texas legend that rainy afternoon, I was soaked!

2001---Lincoln vs. Big Ned----Just a good ol' fashion @## whoopin put on NED by the Bees aka Calvin Roberts

I wanna say 1995----WB vs. Katy----at the KatyDome Kendrick Bernard got kicked out and WB went down hill. First timea shedded a tear at a football game, I was PISSED!

The 2 best games I have seen:

1987 - WO-S vs. Aldine MacArthur

I believe Aldine was #3 in the nation and the Mustangs beat them 6-3 on a late touchdown. That was an awesome game.

1987 - WO-S vs. Jasper

WO-S kicks a late field goal to win 3-0 after each team had blown FG chances earlier in the game. Both of those teams had great defenses!! It was fun to watch!!

Guest GoStangs

That was definitely a big win for us that year. We had just squeaked past Nimitz, 7-6, in week 1 and had looked pretty awful against PNG in a scrimmage earlier, so putting that win up was huge.

1987 - WO-S vs. Jasper

WO-S kicks a late field goal to win 3-0 after each team had blown FG chances earlier in the game. Both of those teams had great defenses!! It was fun to watch

It was great to be in, also. I'm glad you chose that as one of the best games you've seen. Reading that made my day! :)

I liked that silsbee - dayton game, dayton won by the way, but my favorite game of all time was PNG and Dayton in 98, i just loved it when the PNG side started filing out in the middle of the 4th quarter

Do you remember in that silsbee - dayton game it was near the end of the 1st half and pearson took a knee on 1st, and on 2nd down he went off left tackle for TD, silsbee didn't give up they hung in there, and i also rememeber silsbee playing in the astrodome that same year

Last year PNG at Cy-Creek. Cy Creek leads 17-0 at the half. PNG comes out fired up in the 2nd half and wins 26-23. PNG scored on 4 of 5 2nd half possesions. Cy Creek took the lead 23-20 with about 2 minutes left. PNG got the ball back and scored on its last possesion. This was one of those games that goes down in PNG history. Too bad a lot of people forgot this one because of Rita and the whole coin-flip thing.

Guest bleed orange

It was the best and the worst game I have ever seen. Orangefield vs Newton in the bi-district round in the 1981 football season. It was played at Lamar. Orangefield was ahead 21-7 at the half and lost 28-21.

Newton had a pretty good running back that year. Does anybody know who he was? I do, let see if some of you remember. This is a easy one. What coach at LSU was the quaterback in that game?

Guest bleed orange

Bobcatfan4life you are correct. But that was the easy question. I will give you a hint on the running back. He went to Texas but never played.

Newton had a pretty good running back that year. Does anybody know who he was? I do' date=' let see if some of you remember. This is a easy one. What coach at LSU was the quaterback in that game?[/quote']

Byerly (sp) I believe was the RB's name from Newton.

Guest bleed orange

Yes you are right Cat22. His name was Anthony Byerly. I don't know if that is how you spell his name correctly. And yes stang4life Newton did have power house teams back then. They don't rebuild up there they reload. The Peveto your cousin played with was probally Gary Burt. I think Anthony got hurt in college and thats why he did not play much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder