23-3A Folks it's about that time lets BREAK IT DOWN

I realize there is a lot of uncertainty about how Kountze will handle its pitching and if the offense will produce and if the defense will show up. In my estimation know one is off the grid of being replaced. Kountze has depth pitching still solid and not having a lights out guy on the bump will only remove the lackadaisical disposition our defense has had in the past. In regards to hitting...well we have hitters and if power is on the table for discussion: here it is; last year we had one homerun recorded by Ethan Franklin so one could come to the conclusion that power was a non contributor last year. It was and is our hope to develop a bit more this year and that's still on the table. As far as who is playing and who is not...I would prefer to let a kids decision to be made public by the kid when he either shows up Friday or not. Once that occurs we can talk about specifics of possible Varsity personnel and who did or did not come out. I personally am excited about getting started and hope all our returners choose to come back and make a contribution to another Kountze Lions DC and playoff run!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes fielding is the only real concern...bats are coming around, I will say as long as we continue to get better from day to day; hitting is not an issue. Some of our fielding issue is just the fact we have not landed on a solid fielding lineup, because Coach Hogan is still looking at his options and who goes where when certain guys are on the bump.

Pitching is never a concern until the lead off batter draws a walk LOL. When you lose a pitcher the caliber of Franklin you have to be concerned.

Nothing against Franklin but he had multiple lead off walks in 1st innings that lead to scores...it happens to pitchers it happens to great pitchers.

Let's look at it like this...if Franklin was still there, Kountze would probably be a State contender. Without him I don't think so, but they still have some talent there.

Oh I agree we would that much stronger...but he is not and we gotta have guys step up get it done...so far pitching has been the bright spot. I hope it continues and we improve across the remaining areas.

Oh I agree we would that much stronger...but he is not and we gotta have guys step up get it done...so far pitching has been the bright spot. I hope it continues and we improve across the remaining areas.

I looked up those guys on perfect game, the first kid you mention topped out at 81. Another one was on perfect game's site but wasn't recorded as having any innings under his belt. Perfect game updates their website quite often, I would know, I'm a member. Might want to check your radar again...

I looked up those guys on perfect game, the first kid you mention topped out at 81. Another one was on perfect game's site but wasn't recorded as having any innings under his belt. Perfect game updates their website quite often, I would know, I'm a member. Might want to check your radar again...

well I have a membership as well and not every event is a perfect game event...and at many of those events their are several radar guns that work just fine. Oh and by the way you do not have to log in to a membership account to go and view VELO information. I realize what it says on perfect game but i also know that every velocity recorded in the sub venues does not always make it to the final imput and if you have ever been their and seen the set up, in those surrounding ball parks, you would understand. Yes you are correct in saying Lognion was reported at 81.  I said 82-84 hitting / touching 85 because I saw it for myself sitting behind the 16 year old score keeper that was on his phone more than not...so is it that hard to believe that he could have been 83 on avg. and every now again let one fly pushing edge of the velo envelope??? and the other two pitchers i know for a fact have pitched multiple innings in perfect game events...like I said Perfect Game is not always the gospel broski! I guess bottom line what you think you know in reality aint knowing alot... 

Capone...Came out on top they looked better over all but we need to work on things like getting the bunt down better and increasing the range in a couple of positions. Hitting was better as well. Need to tighten up on our base running (just a couple of mental errors)
Pitching wise Stevie Fregia started off and did his thing keeping batters off balance, Hunter Walston came in and pitched for the first time this season...he had a strain in the shoulder he was dealing with...anyway he did a great job going down hill and keeping the ball down. He came back out for a second inning and got a bit fatigued so Coach Hogan finished it for him with Hunter Lejune. Hunter is a strike thrower and did his job, the defense bowed up a bit and took care of business. Then Kyler Bumstead came in and did a nice job...he threw some ground balls and flys to retire the side. Last Austin Marshall hit the bump and had another nice outing to finish things off. Very few walks and cold temps...pitchers did great. Was nice to see three pitchers throw that have not and then have them perform well was a bonus. Looks like the staff is shaping up to look like Lognion, Young, Fregia and Marshall in a closer role. Relief...Walston (will be in rotation), Smart, Bumstead, Guillory. Better wire it tight come Friday against BC...that will be a good gauge for our boys.

We scrimmaged both teams and I would admit that you can't really judge a team this early. However, comparing both teams we liked Kountze over K'Ville in most areas except perhaps catcher (and I understand the Lion catcher was hurting). Both really good teams but I really liked the Lion pitching better overall and their CF has quite an arm. Later in the year things can change quite a bit, just an early impression.

well I have a membership as well and not every event is a perfect game event...and at many of those events their are several radar guns that work just fine. Oh and by the way you do not have to log in to a membership account to go and view VELO information. I realize what it says on perfect game but i also know that every velocity recorded in the sub venues does not always make it to the final imput and if you have ever been their and seen the set up, in those surrounding ball parks, you would understand. Yes you are correct in saying Lognion was reported at 81.  I said 82-84 hitting / touching 85 because I saw it for myself sitting behind the 16 year old score keeper that was on his phone more than not...so is it that hard to believe that he could have been 83 on avg. and every now again let one fly pushing edge of the velo envelope??? and the other two pitchers i know for a fact have pitched multiple innings in perfect game events...like I said Perfect Game is not always the gospel broski! I guess bottom line what you think you know in reality aint knowing alot... 

No need in schooling me on who keeps track of velo's at PG events. If what you're saying is true, Kountze wins state...? Will be the best pitching staff the 3A level has ever seen. 

No need in schooling me on who keeps track of velo's at PG events. If what you're saying is true, Kountze wins state...? Will be the best pitching staff the 3A level has ever seen. 

Good call, because they have the ablity to hang...but since you are obviously a baseball guy than you know alot more goes into a run like that than just pitching. I respect your view on things...time will tell the tale!