2015 Texas Longhorns

king

I hate to oversimplify but so much of football is who has the better "big 'uns" and who turns it over less.  Early in the game on Saturday, I thought it was evident on both sides of the ball that our big 'uns were better than their big 'uns.  Then we start turning it over and making other mistakes.  

IMO, the reason Urban and Saban are almost always in the picture for a championship is that their teams dominate the LOS and are the most disciplined.  If you are at a so-called big time program, you have no excuse not to get the players.  After that, to me it comes down to toughness and discipline. 

I hate to oversimplify but so much of football is who has the better "big 'uns" and who turns it over less.  Early in the game on Saturday, I thought it was evident on both sides of the ball that our big 'uns were better than their big 'uns.  Then we start turning it over and making other mistakes.  

IMO, the reason Urban and Saban are almost always in the picture for a championship is that their teams dominate the LOS and are the most disciplined.  If you are at a so-called big time program, you have no excuse not to get the players.  After that, to me it comes down to toughness and discipline. 

UT was CLEARLY the better team. You cannot beat anyone with 5 turnovers and 500 penalties.

Any reasonable Texas fan should know that Charlie Strong shouldn't be judged on wins and loses until he gets the last bit of Mack Brown players gone. I love the Horns and want them to win every single game, but I am also a realist. I am a huge believer of Charlie and process he is putting in place.

Wins and losses are irrelevant if you want this program to be turned around. Imagine that! Did you every think that University of Texas and complete rebuild would every be in the same sentence? I didn't. But I have come to the realization it has to happen. Let this man clear out the low-enrollment and over-rated players Brown brought in (The Seniors and Juniors), and replace with the upper-class-men Charlie wanted (The current Sophomores and Freshmen). Take the panic button and throw it out. If you're critical of the direction this program is going or the product he is putting on the field, I urge you to wait until 2016-2017 to begin judging.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer! Just don't try to run before you heal a broken ankle  

Any reasonable Texas fan should know that Charlie Strong shouldn't be judged on wins and loses until he gets the last bit of Mack Brown players gone. I love the Horns and want them to win every single game, but I am also a realist. I am a huge believer of Charlie and process he is putting in place.

Wins and losses are irrelevant if you want this program to be turned around. Imagine that! Did you every think that University of Texas and complete rebuild would every be in the same sentence? I didn't. But I have come to the realization it has to happen. Let this man clear out the low-enrollment and over-rated players Brown brought in (The Seniors and Juniors), and replace with the upper-class-men Charlie wanted (The current Sophomores and Freshmen). Take the panic button and throw it out. If you're critical of the direction this program is going or the product he is putting on the field, I urge you to wait until 2016-2017 to begin judging.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer! Just don't try to run before you heal a broken ankle  

Trust me. I'm in FULL panic mode.

I just have not seen this team get better as the season progresses. Look at OU. They got their ass kicked by UT and have since started dominating teams. On the other hand, UT was shutout by Iowa State and continues to lose big on the road. NOT what I consider an improvement.

I think Charlie is coming back. He just needs to put a better product on the field next year.

Harbaugh and McElwain didn't seem to have a problem rebuilding, but I agree with you.  They should keep Charlie at least 4 or 5 more years to give him time.  

Trust me. I'm in FULL panic mode.

I just have not seen this team get better as the season progresses. Look at OU. They got their ass kicked by UT and have since started dominating teams. On the other hand, UT was shutout by Iowa State and continues to lose big on the road. NOT what I consider an improvement.

I think Charlie is coming back. He just needs to put a better product on the field next year.

How are our kids suppose to beat teams like Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma in Big 12? Those three conference teams have recruited Texas high school players from large schools and play against the 2A-3A standouts Texas sought after. We can see the difference now more than ever. Charlie has brought in high talent and large schools players so far, and those players are called on to play major roles already in their young college careers. He's building a culture he wants in Austin.

It begins with having good upperclassmen, and right now that is problem number one on the agenda in need of fixing

How are our kids suppose to beat teams like Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma in Big 12? Those three conference teams have recruited Texas high school players from large schools and play against the 2A-3A standouts Texas sought after. We can see the difference now more than ever. Charlie has brought in high talent and large schools players so far, and those players are called on to play major roles already in their young college careers. He's building a culture he wants in Austin.

It begins with having good upperclassmen, and right now that is problem number one on the agenda in need of fixing

Sorry but you are more hopeful then almost all Texas fans I know - but it is good to see some give more time supporters still out there for Texas.

But the fact remains - Texas has been beaten by teams this year with less talent than is currently on the Texas roster.  You can debate this all you want too - and I know recruiting rankings are just a barometer of the talent you have coming into the program - but in 2010 and 2011 Texas had top 5 recruiting classes in 2013 and 2014 Texas had the 20th class both years (per 24/7 sports) while TCU and Baylor in 2013 and 2014 had 25th, 34th, 27th and 48th - much lesser talent and look what they have accomplished.  That does not even address the Iowa State fiasco. 

Texas has seem unprepared and undisciplined in many of their games - that is not on the players but is on the coaching. 

Strong may well be able to still turn it around but I have my serious doubts.

Edited by OldTimer

Harbaugh and McElwain didn't seem to have a problem rebuilding, but I agree with you.  They should keep Charlie at least 4 or 5 more years to give him time.  

I am surprised you didn't say we should keep him 10-12 years to give him time ;)

You hit the nail on the head.  Michigan was a dumpster fire when Harbaugh took over.  There may not be a bigger disciplinarian in sports than Jim.  Yet he managed to take that team to 8-2 and a fumbled punt from being in the playoff race.   And I haven't looked it up but I would be willing to bet our average recruiting class on campus is higher than UM's. 

So I'm with GCMPats.  I have seen little evidence of improvement or the players being coached up.  When you are making $5M a year with the biggest assistants budget in the country, that is unacceptable anywhere.  And certainly at Texas. 

UT needs a new OC that can bring in some top talent at the QB spot. I believe Todd Dodge would be a very good candidate. He knows the Texas high school scene and is very well respected in the high school coaching ranks. I know his stint at North Texas wasn't very good but Nick Saban couldn't win there in my opinion. Between Dodge and Traylor they could pull some of those 5* recruits in that they aren't getting just due to the respect they both have with other high school coaches. Plus he can develope QBs.

I am surprised you didn't say we should keep him 10-12 years to give him time ;)

You hit the nail on the head.  Michigan was a dumpster fire when Harbaugh took over.  There may not be a bigger disciplinarian in sports than Jim.  Yet he managed to take that team to 8-2 and a fumbled punt from being in the playoff race.   And I haven't looked it up but I would be willing to bet our average recruiting class on campus is higher than UM's. 

So I'm with GCMPats.  I have seen little evidence of improvement or the players being coached up.  When you are making $5M a year with the biggest assistants budget in the country, that is unacceptable anywhere.  And certainly at Texas. 

With all the resources and money at UT there is no reason they can't contend year in and year out like Bama.  They need to do a better job in hiring the next coach.  Strong definitely not the answer.  Maybe with Patterson gone, they can get it going again.  Hook 'em.

The difference between Charlie and those guys is an above average qb.  We still don't have one. And he won't sacrifice or risk it with Buchele to go after Evans from Trinity CC. We'll see if that comes back to bite him.

Can you name Michigan's QB or Florida's backup that is playing now?

this is the part that bothers me most along with the inconsistency 

From the way it sounds, Traylor and possibly Norvell are the only two offensive coaches that survive this year. I think the new OC will make or break Charlie in year 3. If things pick up, he's gonna get more time to rebuild. If not, Perrin and Fenves are already putting feelers out in the event Charlie bailed for Miami. I just don't see him doing that when he's trying to instill his culture in the recruits here. And whether you want to admit it or not, Mack still has a lot to do with this mess. I don't see any Terrell Cuney's or Hutchins on either Michigan of Florida rosters. Those types of guys don't deserve to be on the team. Our upperclassmen are the reason no school should ever hire FUPM again. Let him rot in the TV booth.

Our guys are playing to level that is expected with the current talent on the field. I don't see where the dispute is. You can label these kids 4-5 star recruits, but they all come from Texas high schools playing against other low classification schools. Tyrone Swoops was said to be the answer at QB.. He was a WAY over ranked player who looked like a stud against 3A talent. Strong is working with what he has, and that's less talented upper-classmen than the other teams in the Big12. This whole situation becomes his fault for not developing talent next year. That's when he will have three years of HIS recruits playing the way HE wants.

The Michigan comparison is a perfect example of apples to oranges. Big 10 is not the Big 12.. Where do 90% of the recruits that play in Big 12 come from? Where do the players in the Big 10 come from? Imagine having to use the "leftovers" in Texas high school football against the teams that got their choice. This right here, is the exact reason Mack Brown is no longer coaching. Winning at the highest level requires high level of talent.

Some people need to help fight off the sharks!!! No blood in the water yet!

The program is bleeding, not the head coach. And YES, these two DO NOT always go hand-in-hand.