Jasper vs. Kilgore

Bulldog92

Jasper's playing as well as anybody right now, but I think Kilgore is better than their 4-6 record indicates. They beat Henderson last night and four of their losses were by a touchdown or less. There are posters on smoaky.com that expect 9-4A to sweep 10-4A because that district is so strong, but I think Jasper should win this one. It scares me though. I'll go with a 28-20 type of game. Thoughts?

Jasper's playing as well as anybody right now, but I think Kilgore is better than their 4-6 record indicates. They beat Henderson last night and four of their losses were by a touchdown or less. There are posters on smoaky.com that expect 9-4A to sweep 10-4A because that district is so strong, but I think Jasper should win this one. It scares me though. I'll go with a 28-20 type of game. Thoughts?

i think Jasper can beat Kilgore. I saw some of that district sweep stuff. I think any of those teams are beatable. Henderson will most likely beat Silsbee though.

What were your impressions after calling the game last night? You've seen a lot of us over the years. How does this team compare to some of the others?

Was surprised with the lack of size overall. Jasper usually has good size in the trenches. Very quick and speedy at skill positions, quick defensively.

A power run team could give Jasper problems but not many will have success throwing the ball.

A good Jasper team that seems to be playing it's best football of the season going into playoffs.

Gauging them against Silsbee would not be an accurate assessment on how good Jasper really is this season.

That's true, Mike. I'm kind of surprised that Silsbee is so down this year. It's always more fun when Jasper and Silsbee are both good.

Losing 29 seniors with several DI players from last year's team was just too much for this Tiger team to overcome. 10 of those seniors were 3 year varsity players.

4-6 is a bit misleading.

Our 1st loss (27-25) was to Nacogdoches on a 32 yd FG as time expired. Nac is a big 5A school with several D-1 players that finished 7-3 and is playoff bound.

Our 2nd loss (51-50) was to CC-Flour Bluff who is also a large 5A school. Flour Bluff finished 10-0 and is ranked #6 in 5A.

3rd loss was to Texas High (big 5A). They beat us 19-13 in 3OT at their place. Texas High finished 7-3 and 2nd in their district to Longview.

4th loss (25-21) was to Gladewater (4ADII). Gladewater finished 9-1, District Champs, ranked #8 in 4A, legitimate title contender.

The other 2 losses were to Carthage and CH.... We had so many players out with injury those 2 weeks that we never had a chance.

We are as close to full strength right now as we have been all year.

4-6 is a bit misleading.

Our 1st loss (27-25) was to Nacogdoches on a 32 yd FG as time expired. Nac is a big 5A school with several D-1 players that finished 7-3 and is playoff bound.

Our 2nd loss (51-50) was to CC-Flour Bluff who is also a large 5A school. Flour Bluff finished 10-0 and is ranked #6 in 5A.

3rd loss was to Texas High (big 5A). They beat us 19-13 in 3OT at their place. Texas High finished 7-3 and 2nd in their district to Longview.

4th loss (25-21) was to Gladewater (4ADII). Gladewater finished 9-1, District Champs, ranked #8 in 4A, legitimate title contender.

The other 2 losses were to Carthage and CH.... We had so many players out with injury those 2 weeks that we never had a chance.

Thanks for the information. As is the case on the smoaky.com board that covers your district and isn't familiar with Jasper, the same can be said regarding Kilgore on this board. I know that no one on either side is taking this game lightly and it really could go either way. To me, whoever defends better will win. Most of the points Jasper has given up in district play were in garbage time when the games were already out of hand. When it matters, they have been really solid. This is going to be a great game. 

I agree. Should be a close game. Kilgore is about two tds away from being 7-3 rather than 4-6 and from what I've heard they have gotten back some of their main players from injury. Think Jasper will win 31-24....

Thanks for the information. As is the case on the smoaky.com board that covers your district and isn't familiar with Jasper, the same can be said regarding Kilgore on this board. I know that no one on either side is taking this game lightly and it really could go either way. To me, whoever defends better will win. Most of the points Jasper has given up in district play were in garbage time when the games were already out of hand. When it matters, they have been really solid. This is going to be a great game. 

Garbage time.  For sure, Barbay starts putting in the reserves faster than perhaps any coach I have ever seen.  Stats don't win games, scoring one more point than the other team wins games.  Barbay is more about developing his younger players so that they can step up when needed.  Seems like a good philosophy to me.  

4-6 is a bit misleading.

A healthy Kilgore is a dangerous team.