Ebola!!

Look up the definition s if you dont believe me. The definitions of a sign and a symptom are different.

Sign is what the doctor sees, symptom is what the patient experiences. The difference is so minuscule that it leans towards ridiculous. Too bad a RN couldn't explain that to me.

So if I have Ebola and am running a fever it is a symptom. If a doctor sees that I have a fever, then it is a sign. Wow, I am so glad someone took the time to differentiate.

Now the director of the CDC says.... Oh, she shouldn't have been told that it was okay.

He said that protocol by the local hospital wasn't followed (does it really matter how it spreads, your mistake, my mistake, a bad protocol, a new and unknown means of transmission such as airborne?) and it was a local mistake.... only to come back today and say the CDC made an error letting her fly.

Does anyone else see this as almost a comedy of errors if it wasn't so serious? 

This copied directly from the CDC website:

Symptoms of Ebola include
  • Fever (greater than 38.6°C or 101.5°F)
  • Severe headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal (stomach) pain
  • Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)

Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola, but the average is 8 to 10 days.

Maybe my reading comprehension skills aren't so good but it certainly looks to me like fever is included with other "symptoms" (their description) along with other things such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc.

I know what it is, the CDC doesn't know what it is talking and people on this forum know more about it than they do. I can accept that.

I am not arguing. I am merely stating a fact. They are making a big deal about it. The doctor said that the nurse was asymptomatic when she boadered the plane,:but she did have a fever. I was merely explaining why he would say that. Technically, a fever is not a symptom. Some people use the terms interchangeably, apparently this person doesnt.

http://www.cdc.gov/fmo/topic/budget%20information/appropriations_budget_form_pdf/Sequester_Impacts.pdf

I'm not saying who is responsible for sequestration, but this is from the CDC.

I wonder if this is more Washington games, played by both sides, and "cuts" are actually less of an increase than what was requested.

Looks like the CDC budget increases from 2013 to 2014.

Either way, I don't think these "cuts" kept the CDC from finding a cure for Ebola, that has been know about since 1976.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/10/17/heres-why-budget-cuts-have-nothing-to-do-with-developing-an-ebola-vaccine/?utm_source=heritagefoundation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morningbell&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokuqnNZKXonjHpfsX56O0tXaG%2FlMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4CTcBkI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFQrLBMa1ozrgOWxU%3D

Some people predict nuclear war, some predict a huge asteroid striking earth, I have predicted for a long time now that micro-organisms will be the end of humanity. We are already one antibiotic away from the inability to treat pneumonia, which was the #1 killer around the turn of the century. There are antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria among us now. As a leader in technology, medicine, and communication, why do we continue to place ourselves in harm's way?

Some will say that I am paranoid for making statements such as this, but I simply try to be logical about some things. The Black Death was responsible for killing nearly 100 million people. I know times were different back then, but do we think we are Ebola proof?

HIV is spread the same way....bodily fluids. More than a million people in this country have HIV.

Please correct any of my facts. Maybe an educated RN can chime in on this one with a one sentence answer.

Hey guys I work for the the federal dept of transportation, and we got cut just like the CDC did, first we got some pay freezes to minor ones, but I feel fortunate to be employed and none of my co-workers lost their jobs either. As for our mission, well we are still getting the same job done, mainly because we cut out some of the fat (best word I could think of). I read the link above from the CDC crying about their cuts, you would have thought that they were cut 95% of their budget instead of 5%.