Ebola!!

one of the reasons it spreads so quickly in Africa is that A) health care workers work under poor conditions, without proper equipment and safety measures, and B) they do not have the proper means to handle and dispose of the bodies, which are more infectious than the person was when they were alive.  Ebola is something that we need to be careful with, but not something that should freeze our country in fear.

All that being said, why are we letting daily flights come in from west Africa to our country?  Give anyone there that wants to come back a week to do so, and then freeze flights into the US from those areas until it's under control over there.  keep those who've flown back under observation for three weeks to ensure there are no unknown cases that are going to pop up and cause a panic, and that should be the end of Ebola in the United States until the next outbreak happens.

you do know that Africa is a continent? There are countries that have not been affected.

there is a good amount of shipping from west Africa, but rest assured, those ships are being tracked.

Stopping flights doesn't work very well, its easy to get a flight through other countries, which can be tracked but can be difficult with current restrictions on monitoring american people.

The case should be thrown out as frivolous and any attorney willing to take it should be disbarred.

There would be a lot of disbarred attorneys then....

Maybe not a bad thing. 

Actually it is a good question. If someone claims that you are exposed to a disease (any disease), what authority does the government have to force you to be locked up inside of your home for almost a month? It does not matter what you "should" do but what the law can "force" you to do. 

There would be a lot of disbarred attorneys then....

Maybe not a bad thing.

Actually it is a good question. If someone claims that you are exposed to a disease (any disease), what authority does the government have to force you to be locked up inside of your home for almost a month? It does not matter what you "should" do but what the law can "force" you to do.

Its a very slippery slope, but this individual case the quarantine has merit and the lady knows exactly how long she will be there.

sure, let her run free.  but make a law that allows you to prosecute her if she refuses to be responsible and then ends up positive for the disease and exposes others to it.

I have no problem with such a law as it pretty much fits the definitions under most criminal laws of reckless or with criminal negligence. To my knowledge no such laws exist however. 

There are some laws on the books in some states I believe that say if you have a disease but I have no clue if any exist that say if you have possibly been exposed and may have it sometime in the future. 

i've seen folks with HIV go to jail for knowingly transmitting it to an unsuspecting partner.  this is kind of like that.  you know you've been exposed to ebola, but the person you cough on in the grocery store line doesn't.

This is where the frivolity of the lawsuit comes in for me.

I just don't understand the fact that she was selfless enough to risk her life to go help people dying of the virus in Africa, but would then be selfish enough to risk the lives of Americans now that she's back. That said, if the conditions are as terrible as she's making them out to be, that should be remedied.

Sadly, someday troops may be needed in Houston. Homeless people dying is a bad comparison. I guess the next time someone's child gets sick they shouldn't take him to the doctor because someone may say they are freakin out. I see no one freakin out. It is always good to err on the side of caution. Why take chances with this disease?

Please don't anyone say that more people die from the flu. The mortality rate for Influenza is about 1% or less and inoculations do wonders for prevention.The mortality rate for Ebola is 50%. Why is this not a concern?

I think people are freaking out over nothing.  There has been 1 person die from this in the United States?   There was probably 3 killed in shooting in the Wards last night in  Houston, and 5 homeless people die in the streets.  That is 8 in one night. Why do we not send troops to Houston?

I don't think most people are freaking out. They are asking for the correct procedures be put in place before there is a reason to freak out.

It is great to say that no one has died here that has caught it here. We have four hospitals in the entire country with limited space for such quarantines. What happens if it gets into the public for real? What happens if 5,000 people get it? We simply do not have beds nor the resources for $1 Million in treatment for 5,000 people and then quarantine the maybe 200,000 people they came into contact with.

I think what you claim is freak out is people asking for the government to get their act in order, ban the flights, quarantine or restrict movement of people returning, actually training the medical field and putting known protocols in place, etc. Look at almost every health professional commenting on these limited incidents and you will see almost every one of them say that the CDC guidelines are all over the map and keep changing. It sure doesn't look like they have their act together and that is what people are concerned over, not the three people that have caught it here and due to the extreme limited number, can have private care and be flown across the country on secure jets.