Oct. 31, 2014 vs WOS.... Who you got???

bedelmon

Stangx I respect your football opinion clearly you know the game and are up to date on current topics. Clearly you love the game, that is obvious.

With that said can you honestly believe that one loss can send all of the pre-season work, preparation, and training out the window? Because if that is truly your beliefs then I seriously need to reconsider my first impression of your knowledge. We lost 4 games last year yet went 3 deep in the playoffs. 

If that were true you would only have undefeated teams winning state titles every year. The truth is that their are trophies riddled throughout the state from teams who won with 1, 2, 3 and even 4 losses. Good teams learn more from a loss than they lose. Quite often, losses serve as motivation.

If that were true you would only have undefeated teams winning state titles every year. The truth is that their are trophies riddled throughout the state from teams who won with 1, 2, 3 and even 4 losses. Good teams learn more from a loss than they lose. Quite often, losses serve as motivation.

That's true but it can go either way..either it makes you better or it destroys you. It is much easier to come back from a loss that doesn't mean a lot, but when it's the game of the year and everyone has been pointing to that game, it is very hard to emotionally get back off the deck to play the next one if you lose.

That's true but it can go either way..either it makes you better or it destroys you. It is much easier to come back from a loss that doesn't mean a lot, but when it's the game of the year and everyone has been pointing to that game, it is very hard to emotionally get back off the deck to play the next one if you lose.

Meh, I don't agree with that at all. I think it tends to put a fire in your belly. Now, if you up and lose to a team that you have no business losing to, then that may point to the fact the you are just not that good. I can point to many games and seasons that prove that point.

I'll pose a question: what advantage does HJ gain by finally getting what on paper looks to be an easily winnable matchup this week, followed by two weeks to prepare, rest, and heal before the WOS game?

I think a win going into a bye week is a must. HJ has to have enough momentum to carry them through to West Orange. With some injuries that seem to be lingering, I think it could be very beneficial to get totally healthy. HJ is going to need everyone if they're going to have a chance against West Orange. Hopefully everyone will be fresh, they will have seen lots of tape on West Orange, and they will be able to come in and play the best game they can. HJ seems to have been coming into these past 2 or 3 games very flat. Hopefully the game against HF and the bye week will really get them going. Another thing is that they will be trying to break a school record for the best start in school history and the longest winning streak. They will be coming ready to play!

Bringing this thread back up.
Since HJ is on bye this week I'm pretty tempted to go watch WOS v HF. Seeing HJ play HF last week I must say that the Longhorns surprised me.
We'll see if they can surprise WOS this week.

Whoever wins this HJ/WOS matchup, I know each team will play their guts out. Both teams will be looking for the rematch in the quarter finals!

Bringing this thread back up.
Since HJ is on bye this week I'm pretty tempted to go watch WOS v HF. Seeing HJ play HF last week I must say that the Longhorns surprised me.
We'll see if they can surprise WOS this week.

Whoever wins this HJ/WOS matchup, I know each team will play their guts out. Both teams will be looking for the rematch in the quarter finals!

They have a LONG way to go to get there!

I'm just praying that the officials are NOT a factor in this game. I really want the team who plays the best to win. I don't want to see a game winning touchdown called back due to a call that was wrong, or not enforced properly. There have been a few calls enforced incorrectly that I've seen this year. Just hope the officials know what they're doing.

I'm just praying that the officials are NOT a factor in this game. I really want the team who plays the best to win. I don't want to see a game winning touchdown called back due to a call that was wrong, or not enforced properly. There have been a few calls enforced incorrectly that I've seen this year. Just hope the officials know what they're doing.

Excuse #1 - Injuries

Excuse #2 - Officials

Very nice job of setting the table for the loss  ;)

However, HJ is coming off a bye-week, so unless they have a bunch go down (God forbid) during the game, I don't think the injury excuse can be made. We are missing a star out of the backfield to a broken arm, but he wasn't even there for the Tatum game. You know what they say about excuses, they're like butt holes! Everybody's got them, and they all stink!

I don't anticipate crow for dinner, although I have had it before, gotta say it is not half bad. As far as having it after the WOS game, isn't HJ expected to lose? I mean are we not going up against the power house that is WOS? Are we not the David to the Goliath?

All kidding aside, we are the underdog to a team that, as much as many of us hate to admit, has established MULTIPLE years of winning. There is no doubt WOS is a quality program and has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt year in and year out. This can only be attributed to a program that demands excellence. Now with all of that said I think HJ has a chance, probably the best chance in a long time, of stealing one away from WOS this year because while WOS is years into a quality program HJ is in the early stages of developing one of their own. Although we may only be in our second year of a serious quality program the athletes and fans have experienced what winning feels like and I think it will be difficult to settle for anything else.

I can tell you this win or lose the HJ boys will leave it all on the field and irregardless of the outcome I think they will be able to leave the field with their heads held high.

I don't anticipate crow for dinner, although I have had it before, gotta say it is not half bad. As far as having it after the WOS game, isn't HJ expected to lose? I mean are we not going up against the power house that is WOS? Are we not the David to the Goliath?

All kidding aside, we are the underdog to a team that, as much as many of us hate to admit, has established MULTIPLE years of winning. There is no doubt WOS is a quality program and has proven this beyond a shadow of a doubt year in and year out. This can only be attributed to a program that demands excellence. Now with all of that said I think HJ has a chance, probably the best chance in a long time, of stealing one away from WOS this year because while WOS is years into a quality program HJ is in the early stages of developing one of their own. Although we may only be in our second year of a serious quality program the athletes and fans have experienced what winning feels like and I think it will be difficult to settle for anything else.

I can tell you this win or lose the HJ boys will leave it all on the field and irregardless of the outcome I think they will be able to leave the field with their heads held high.

Excuse #1 - Injuries

Excuse #2 - Officials

Excuse #3 - We're supposed to lose anyway

HJ fans just keep setting the table for the loss   ;)

Note: Having a few athletes come through every 10-15 years can hardly be defined as "building a program", we can open this discussion in a minimum of 5 years "IF" HJ is still on the same path, and continues to win.

FYI, and not to be the grammar nazi, but "IRREGARDLESS" is not a word....it's just simply REGARDLESS.

Not making excuses at all Craig just saying according to YOU and EVERY other WOS fan out there, WOS should man handle HJ and win this game easily, so explain to me, like I am a third grader, how we should eat crow when we are EXPECTED to lose in the first place.

Now on the other hand if HJ should win this game "JU GOT SOME SPLANING TO DO"

Also since No excuses are allowed, if HJ should some how MIRACULOUSLY win,  I fully expect to see, in print from you, HJ is a better team than WOS. 

PS Irregardless of what you think, Merriam Webster would tend to disagree with you:

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that“there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

PS Irregardless of what you think, Merriam Webster would tend to disagree with you:

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that“there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795.[1] Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect" usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead

Just because it's used, or shows up in a dictionary, doesn't make it a "word" or at least not a "correct" word....you can also find "Ain't" in the dictionary also...doesn't mean it is "proper" speech....In fact the use of it "may be used as a marker of socio-economic or regional status or education level."