BC's Shugart deciding to not play football this season

Colton Weisbrod and Laquarious Paige had fairly decent high school careers being "specialty" athletes at dominant football programs.

Very true and it's to each his own. But I like seeing great athletes, which Weisbrod and Paige are, play multiple sports if possible.

Most college coaches like having multi-sport athletes on their teams, regardless of the sport.

I like multi sport athletes as well. And a lot of baseball guys are using footballs in developing strength in pitches now. However, his future is baseball and I think it is a good idea regardless limiting his senior year to baseball. Football is the most violent sport with the most injuries. When you are a D1 athlete with a possible professional future, the risk of injury in football is tricky. Sure, Q Paige could have been a very, very good wideout for WOS. And he could have blown an ACL and lost a $250k scholarship had he torn up a knee and lost speed and elevation playing a sport that wasn't his forte. Pros and cons on both sides I suppose.

Kids should play as many sports as they want and make as many life-long friendships as possible. They only have 4 years in high school(except for certain high school in Hardin county :) )to make these memories. Some are able to continue on, but I believe they will regret it later in life. One of my kids was told by an A.D. to concentrate on the one sport he is pretty good at in his junior year and not play football for fear of injury. His senior year we get a new A.D. and he asks anybody to come and tryout if they want to play. He had the time of his life, set a school record and will have great memories for a lifetime. I know he and all my kids have many great friendships now with teammates from different sports, we were very glad he made the decision to play the additional sports. Let a kid have fun!

I agree. But it's the injury that is keeping him from playing football, not just the fact that baseball is his "future".

the injury is not keeping him from playing. Yes he doesn't want to hurt it, but the injury isn't severe enough for that. Chase wants to concentrate on his future and not risk hurting it worse.