Congrats to Micheal Sam

mat

Good point...there were so many (even on this board) that said that Tebow was only getting the attention he was getting because he was a Christian and they didn't like it, but a 7th round draft pick getting so much attention because he's gay...no problem.

I'm not shocked at all that this is how you remember that whole issue going. It's completely inaccurate, but it fits the fairy tale better than the truth. Tebow was bashed on here by a few of us because of his play. Then others would claim we were doing so because he was a Christian. Then he'd have another 72-yard passing day, and we'd bash him again. Then more accusations would come out about us bashing him for being a Christian. what a crock.

I'm not shocked at all that this is how you remember that whole issue going. It's completely inaccurate, but it fits the fairy tale better than the truth. Tebow was bashed on here by a few of us because of his play. Then others would claim we were doing so because he was a Christian. Then he'd have another 72-yard passing day, and we'd bash him again. Then more accusations would come out about us bashing him for being a Christian. what a crock.

Nope, you have it wrong...there were many folks and some on this board that bashed Tebow because of his play (and rightfully so) but also said it was ridiculous how he was getting so much attention for being a mediocre player simply because he was a Christian.  

If you are going to say it, own it.

Nope, you have it wrong...there were many folks and some on this board that bashed Tebow because of his play (and rightfully so) but also said it was ridiculous how he was getting so much attention for being a mediocre player simply because he was a Christian.  

If you are going to say it, own it.

I'll be happy to own that. I'll also point out that Tebow was a major news story for like 8 months. Sam was major for about a week when he came out of the closet, and has pretty much been an afterthought since, and now has been back in the spotlight for a couple of days... if he's still the lead on EVERY episode of Sportscenter in 6 months, I'll agree that his amount of unwarranted attention will have matched Tebow's. It's also worth noting that Sam was the SEC (you know the defense capital of the world) Defensive MVP this past season. So I'm curious about something... Tebow clearly got drafted earlier than he should've because of his squeakly clean image. Did Michael Sam fall because of his issues?

In your reply that I quoted here, you mention that some said Tebow got too much attention for being a Christian (which I agree that this happened, and i also agree it was true). But Aledo said that Tebow was "constantly bashed for being a Christian", which is a total laugher, considering had he not had the image he had he never would've been a story (or a starter) to begin with, and while being the least talented QB in the league, was the most popular and most reported-upon. You replied "Good point" to Aledo's post, which is why i quoted your reply when disputing the accusation that Tebow was "constantly bashed for being a Christian".

There were some apologists for Tebow, who, when the Bronco's defense was going nuts against an amazingly fortuitous schedule of backup after backup QB and RB, would give him all the credit for completing 7-17 passes for 89 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT, and rushing 25 times for 60 yards, in what would somehow end up a 10-7 win for the Broncos. Name any other player in the league that has gotten that sort of leeway. To compare Sam to Tebow is not fair at all, at least until he attains the status of being a player who can underperform incredibly and still get all the credit for his team's success and be the lead on sportcenter every evening.

I agree. The kiss was disgusting.. I hsve a cousin who is gay, she said that the thought of being with a man makes her sick to her stomach and she thinks it is "yucky". I didnt get offended because that is her opinion. I dont care if I am polically correct. I love tim Tebow.

All swag has left the building....hahahhahha

I'll be happy to own that. I'll also point out that Tebow was a major news story for like 8 months. Sam was major for about a week when he came out of the closet, and has pretty much been an afterthought since, and now has been back in the spotlight for a couple of days... if he's still the lead on EVERY episode of Sportscenter in 6 months, I'll agree that his amount of unwarranted attention will have matched Tebow's. It's also worth noting that Sam was the SEC (you know the defense capital of the world) Defensive MVP this past season. So I'm curious about something... Tebow clearly got drafted earlier than he should've because of his squeakly clean image. Did Michael Sam fall because of his issues?

In your reply that I quoted here, you mention that some said Tebow got too much attention for being a Christian (which I agree that this happened, and i also agree it was true). But Aledo said that Tebow was "constantly bashed for being a Christian", which is a total laugher, considering had he not had the image he had he never would've been a story (or a starter) to begin with, and while being the least talented QB in the league, was the most popular and most reported-upon. You replied "Good point" to Aledo's post, which is why i quoted your reply when disputing the accusation that Tebow was "constantly bashed for being a Christian".

There were some apologists for Tebow, who, when the Bronco's defense was going nuts against an amazingly fortuitous schedule of backup after backup QB and RB, would give him all the credit for completing 7-17 passes for 89 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT, and rushing 25 times for 60 yards, in what would somehow end up a 10-7 win for the Broncos. Name any other player in the league that has gotten that sort of leeway. To compare Sam to Tebow is not fair at all, at least until he attains the status of being a player who can underperform incredibly and still get all the credit for his team's success and be the lead on sportcenter every evening.

Tebow did get a lot of attention for who he was and when he put up poor stats but continued to win for a while, he got even more attention from both sides...some were simply rooting for a strong Christian and others they felt like he was getting playing time simply for who he was...and there were a lot of folks that were very pleased when he failed.

Sam may prove to be a great player but the majority of the attention he is getting right now is because he is gay, not because of his football abilities...just like Tebow.

What is sad is that Sam seems to be held in higher esteem BY THE MEDIA for his lifestyle than Tebow was.

Tebow did get a lot of attention for who he was and when he put up poor stats but continued to win for a while, he got even more attention from both sides...some were simply rooting for a strong Christian and others they felt like he was getting playing time simply for who he was...and there were a lot of folks that were very pleased when he failed.

Sam may prove to be a great player but the majority of the attention he is getting right now is because he is gay, not because of his football abilities...just like Tebow.

What is sad is that Sam seems to be held in higher esteem BY THE MEDIA for his lifestyle than Tebow was.

I agreed with you until the last line. I feel that Tebow was much more the media darling. Regardless of how you feel about Sam, what's happening with him IS big news, whether you support him or disagree with him. Tebow got lots of coverage when he wasn't doing anything, when he was, when he lost, when he won. Sam was brief news when he said he was gay, and will be brief news now. There will be coverage about him, but nothing to the magnitude that tebow got. I also believe that if Sam sucks, but if he still gets playing time, he'll have the same detractors that Tebow did. Part of what made tebow so polarizing was that he sucked, but still had a large core group of supporters who insisted he could do no wrong. While Sam will also get a similar support, albeit from a very different group, if he doesn't perform the pundits will criticise him, just like they did tebow.

Did Obama ever call Tebow to congratulate him?

Why would he lets get this fact straight tim tebow was no the first or only player at the time who openly expressed his love towards Jesus. Michael Sam came out gay in a day in time where half the nation is split in two about the situation. Every player I've ever seen interview after a game give thanks to god. Not everyone says im gay. Its a big step forward for their movement. The media can make people change views on issues but I strongly agree there forcing this on everyone might get a few dads and moms upset.

Did Obama ever call Tebow to congratulate him?

While I don't agree with Obama singling out a player to congratulate him, I do not take this as Obama not calling tebow because of religious reasons. I'd guess that probably 75% of NFL players profess to be Christians, and while few if any are as outspoken about it as Tebow (there are likely as some as serious about it as him who just don't get the exposure tebow does), to call him for that reason would not make sense. Whether you agree with it or not, Sam is a pioneer in the sport. I clearly believe this is a publicity gimmick by Obama, but I don't see it as anything more malicious than that.

While I don't agree with Obama singling out a player to congratulate him, I do not take this as Obama not calling tebow because of religious reasons. I'd guess that probably 75% of NFL players profess to be Christians, and while few if any are as outspoken about it as Tebow (there are likely as some as serious about it as him who just don't get the exposure tebow does), to call him for that reason would not make sense. Whether you agree with it or not, Sam is a pioneer in the sport. I clearly believe this is a publicity gimmick by Obama, but I don't see it as anything more malicious than that.

So is Tiger Woods a Pioneer for his numerous mistresses...I don't remember him being praised in the media for his sinful behavior.

You yourself said it was hypocritical for Christians treating homosexuality any worse than adultery and I agree...shouldn't the media be held to the same standard?

So is Tiger Woods a Pioneer for his numerous mistresses...I don't remember him being praised in the media for his sinful behavior.

You yourself said it was hypocritical for Christians treating homosexuality any worse than adultery and I agree...shouldn't the media be held to the same standard?

Should the media be held to the same standards as Christians? I would hardly think so, unless we're going to require members of the media to all be Christians, or have a religion-run media.

The media doesn't really have those kind of standards. They report the unusual or sensational things. Thats a gold mine for them.Thats what people read or watch.

Should the media be held to the same standards as Christians? I would hardly think so, unless we're going to require members of the media to all be Christians, or have a religion-run media.

You missed my point...I was talking about you pointing out that it is hypocritical of Christians to single out homosexuality as a far worse sin than others but you seem to have no problem with the media holding up Sam as some sort of hero simply because he's gay...at the same time admitting that you yourself see it as sinful behavior.

In other words, lets bring back " the old established order."  That "order" some of us may agree on brought (image) this country down in the eyes of the world court.

The same people whining about gays kissing in public had (?)   have the same mentality when they saw mixed couples in public or on tv. Some of yall just hide behind different causes now, because it Ain't Cool (AC) or Politically Correct (PC) denounce those things now.

The preceding comments  were not directed directly at Steve Nash

So do mixed race couples (or people) have to agree with this line of thought or are they allowed to make their own decisions that go against "group think"?