Congrats to Micheal Sam

mat

So is Tiger Woods a Pioneer for his numerous mistresses...I don't remember him being praised in the media for his sinful behavior. Dont judge others because they sin differently than you do. We all subfamily and fall short of the glory ofb the Lord.

You yourself said it was hypocritical for Christians treating homosexuality any worse than adultery and I agree...shouldn't the media be held to the same standard?

You missed my point...I was talking about you pointing out that it is hypocritical of Christians to single out homosexuality as a far worse sin than others but you seem to have no problem with the media holding up Sam as some sort of hero simply because he's gay...at the same time admitting that you yourself see it as sinful behavior.

I didn't miss your point. I'm just telling you that Christians may hold themselves up to whatever standards they want, but they can't hold other groups to those standards, and if they decide to, it's foolish to be upset or surprised when those other groups fall short of what Christians would have them do. you asked me "Should the media be held to the same standard", and i'm telling you NO, they should not.

And he's the wrong color.

I'd suggest you go click the link that westend provided a little ways back in this thread. It debunks the ENTIRE "Obama didn't acknowledge Tebow" argument as far as i'm concerned, and it certainly takes the wind out of the sails of the argument that Obama somehow has more respect for being gay than he did for Tebow being Christian.

I didn't miss your point. I'm just telling you that Christians may hold themselves up to whatever standards they want, but they can't hold other groups to those standards, and if they decide to, it's foolish to be upset or surprised when those other groups fall short of what Christians would have them do. you asked me "Should the media be held to the same standard", and i'm telling you NO, they should not.

Yes, you did miss it but I'll elaborate later.   :)

The fact that Obama and Tebow (and Palin) attended the same prayer event doesn't exactly counter the personal phone call to Sam or the NBA player a while back. To downplay the "agenda" is either naïve or denial.

The fact that Obama and Tebow (and Palin) attended the same prayer event doesn't exactly counter the personal phone call to Sam or the NBA player a while back. To downplay the "agenda" is either naïve or denial.

Come on mat. You are better than that. Tebow was invited to a prayer breakfast with the president. Sam got a call. Who got preferential treatment?

Just reread your post for the third time. If I missed it, you didn't make it. ;)

As you have pointed out, it is hypocritical for Christians to condemn homosexuality but sort of wink at something like adultery...not all but some do.

I also think it's hypocritical that the media can rip Tiger for his infidelity but hold Sam up to such high esteem for his behavior.

Both are picking and choosing and both are hypocritical viewpoints.

So you are cool with the media having a low standard ,in a free country, on telling the news?  Is it right for a Christian to biased? Is it right for the news to be biased?  Is it right for a Muslim to lie? Is it right for the news media to lie? Is it right for a secular non-for profit to cook the books? Is it right for the media to cook the books? 
So we should expect all peoples to have a high standard

As you have pointed out, it is hypocritical for Christians to condemn homosexuality but sort of wink at something like adultery...not all but some do.

I also think it's hypocritical that the media can rip Tiger for his infidelity but hold Sam up to such high esteem for his behavior.

Both are picking and choosing and both are hypocritical viewpoints.

The problem is you're attributing Christian beliefs to the media. In Christianity, it's taught both acts are wrong, but as you've stated, many wink at adultery and sex out of wedlock. In mainstream media, homosexuality and adultery are not lumped together. So it's not hypocritical when an act that is seen as wrong (adultery), is not treated the same as an act that many no longer have a problem with (homosexuality). You can't hold the media to YOUR religious standards. Well I guess you can, but don't act surprised when they don't live up to them.

If I am understanding you correctly, then you only tolerate those that agree with you?  If someone has grown up under religious beliefs that include not endorsing homosexuality, you consider that bigotry?   I am just wondering if the left is not quite as objective and broad minded as it so proudly claims?

If I am understanding you correctly, then you only tolerate those that agree with you? If someone has grown up under religious beliefs that include not endorsing homosexuality, you consider that bigotry? I am just wondering if the left is not quite as objective and broad minded as it so proudly claims?

I don't have a problem with those who don't "endorse" homosexuality. I have a problem with those who discriminate against homosexuals or believe that they deserve less rights than heterosexuals. And as westend said, I don't tolerate bigots. I don't have a problem with people who's beliefs differ from mine, but I'll certainly argue with them as much as the next guy.