BH softball coach suspended

BH softball coach suspended for ‘inappropriate texting’ ShareShare

Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

53626dad1d34e.preview-300.jpg

Barbers Hill ISD photo

Superintendent: Softball playoff game tonight will proceed as scheduled

The Barbers Hill Lady Eagles Softball team cheers with Coach Perri Smith during the team’s Strike Out Cancer game vs. Dayton. The team advanced to Area Playoffs  being held Thursday, May 1, at 7 pm vs. Magnolia West at Kingwood High School. Games two and three will be held on Friday, May 2 at 6 pm, and (if necessary) at 8 pm.

Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:49 am | Updated: 11:06 am, Thu May 1, 2014.

By Cody Tucker [email protected] |0 comments

Barbers Hill head softball coach Perri Smith was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday for violating the district communications policy regarding students or “inappropriate texting.”

The team was told one day before the top-ranked Eagles take on West Magnolia in the second round of the playoffs tonight.

On Wednesday counselors questioned team members about Smith, including whether she ever made them feel uncomfortable or did anything inappropriate enough to report.

Smith has led the Barbers Hill softball program since 2008.

“While the timing of this incident is unfortunate, the safety of our students will always take precedence,” Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent Dr. Greg Poole said in a statement.

A statement from the district said, “The nature of the violation necessitated an immediate and ongoing investigation. The softball playoff game scheduled for tonight will proceed as scheduled.”

Assistant coach Jennifer Manning and junior varsity coach Sharlene Barnett will coach the team for the remainder of the playoffs.

Smith has led the Eagles to a perfect 25-0 record and the No. 1 ranking in the state. Barbers Hill is also ranked the No. 8 team in the nation, according toMaxpreps.com.

“Any goal worth achieving will always involve overcoming adversity, and I am confident our senior leadership and experience will help us to continue to move forward in our quest to win a championship,” Barbers Hill Athletic Director Ronnie Gage said in a statement.

Smith came to Mont Belvieu from her alma mater Kingwood Park. Ironically, the site of the Eagles second-round matchup tonight and Friday.

Smith played collegiate softball at Texas State University before coaching stops at West Chambers County High School, and a brief stop at Barbers Hill in 2005, where she was an assistant under her predecessor Kirk Hall.

Smith is an English teacher at Barbers Hill, and also coaches tennis. She was not on campus today.

Barbers Hill knocked off Lumberton in the opening round of the playoffs last Friday in Beaumont.

Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. tonight at Kingwood Park High School. West Magnolia is 23-6 overall and enters the game with a five-game winning streak.

Its on www.chron.com now too.

News crews were not allowed at the game, but spectators tell KHOU that the Eagles won.  Really, So the media was banned from covering the game?  And isn't this the same coach that everybody complained about last year saying that she was the reason why they fell short in the playoffs?

News crews were not allowed at the game, but spectators tell KHOU that the Eagles won. Really, So the media was banned from covering the game? And isn't this the same coach that everybody complained about last year saying that she was the reason why they fell short in the playoffs?

I'm hearing a certain parent there, whose kid graduated last year for craps sake, had a serious issue with the coach and this is the reason that she was put on leave...it's also important to note that she wasn't one of Gage's hires, and word is he wanted to get rid of her too.

I'm hearing a certain parent there, whose kid graduated last year for craps sake, had a serious issue with the coach and this is the reason that she was put on leave...it's also important to note that she wasn't one of Gage's hires, and word is he wanted to get rid of her too.

Yea well that's Barbers Hill for you.

Well I'm sure it will all come out in the end. I think Gage is s fair man and would be shocked if he just suspended her for something insignificant. For now I wouldn't discuss this subject or make accusations and would just let it play out. I hope dayton and bh meet in the regional finals.

This was the best post so far, but even this one is inaccurate (Gage did not suspend the coach, the superintendent put the coach on administrative leave).  Bottom line is people need to quit guessing and fishing (including the news media).  The problem does not involve a jealous parent or anything of that nature.  The complaint was lodged by an individual who is bound to a code of conduct and that person did the right thing.  Time for people from BH to "step up" and stay off facebook, twitter, or in news reports.  Let the team finish their season, you are only trying to hurt kids.  Most outsiders have done a good job of holding their tongue.  The remainder of the season belongs to the girls on this team.

If someone feels the need to be self serving, get on your favorite social media site and tell the world how good the team is, or how great your daughter is!

Thank you Bronco Pride for this comment, "For now I wouldn't discuss this subject or make accusations and would just let it play out".  It is ironic that this comment comes from our biggest rival Dayton.

Thank you Sir/or Mam for your respectfulness.

This was the best post so far, but even this one is inaccurate (Gage did not suspend the coach, the superintendent put the coach on administrative leave).  Bottom line is people need to quit guessing and fishing (including the news media).  The problem does not involve a jealous parent or anything of that nature.  The complaint was lodged by an individual who is bound to a code of conduct and that person did the right thing.  Time for people from BH to "step up" and stay off facebook, twitter, or in news reports.  Let the team finish their season, you are only trying to hurt kids.  Most outsiders have done a good job of holding their tongue.  The remainder of the season belongs to the girls on this team.

If someone feels the need to be self serving, get on your favorite social media site and tell the world how good the team is, or how great your daughter is!

Thank you Bronco Pride for this comment, "For now I wouldn't discuss this subject or make accusations and would just let it play out".  It is ironic that this comment comes from our biggest rival Dayton.

Thank you Sir/or Mam for your respectfulness.

I do believe you have the best post now! 

This whole thing stinks of falsehoods created by parents and backed by a superintendent who panders to the crowd. imho

+1

Nope.  Wrong again.  Don't blame the parents or the superintendent.  Sticky and UGK are kid haters.... quit trying to put a negative on these kid's season.

Nope.  Wrong again.  Don't blame the parents or the superintendent.  Sticky and UGK are kid haters.... quit trying to put a negative on these kid's season.

How are they kid haters, they said nothing about the kids. Looks like they it was an upset parent or a supt with no backbone. Neither of those say anything about the kids or their season.

How are they kid haters, they said nothing about the kids. Looks like they it was an upset parent or a supt with no backbone. Neither of those say anything about the kids or their season.

You're a life hater. Sorry you got dealt some bad cards in life, but don't call me a kid hater. That is one thing I am not.