Deweyville Open

Already checked...talked to lots of folks who played against you and 55 back in the day. They all said y'all were garbage.

lol, ok. I guess the TSWA and AP guys who picked me as all-state on offense as a junior and defense as a senior thought I was garbage too. And all the coaches who offered me full-ride scholarships probably thought that as well lol.

55 was a three year starter and all-district performer as well, so he must be total garbage.

Did you even play football? (not countin' Madden or NCAA Football on Playstation)

P.S. I know you're just pushin' our buttons, but I can promise you 100% that anyone you talked to that played against me wouldn't have that opinion.

which of those coaches did you take up on that full ride offer bobcat9? or let me guess, something came up and you couldn't take your dominance to the next level. this is an absolute joke.

on a semi-serious note, i know someone who played with, and someone who played against broom (bobcat9) and they both say he was a good 2a player. they both say that downs (hd55) was a good team guy, but wasn't really any good as a player. however, the rumor that he couldn't touch the ground when he was in a 3-point stance is only partially correct. he couldn't touch the ground per se, but he could touch the grass ... if it was pretty high.

can you guys at hd please try to not turn every thread into a discussion about your irrelevant program?

does anyone have a list of the candidates for this job? interviews start tomorrow.

oh, one more thing. please don't talk about being tswa or ap all-state. all of us that are coaches know exactly what that means, or doesn't mean. there is only one real all-state, and it isn't the ones voted on by newspaper guys

I didn't claim to be the best high school player that ever lived. I wasn't in this conversation at all until I got called out by someone who doesn't know me I'm sure and said I was garbage. Someone who probably never even played football. I went to SFA, but had offers from (Southwest) Texas State, New Mexico State, UTEP and several other DII/DIII/NAIA schools. I don't know which "All-State" team really counts, just know that was a couple of the teams I was names to. I was on a 2-8 team my senior year and was 2nd team all-state. I'd trade that in a heartbeat if I could have been part of a playoff run and winning team. It is what it is. I'm getting out of this because I don't think this is the place for all this and it really doesn't mean anything and is ancient history.

I didn't claim to be the best high school player that ever lived. I wasn't in this conversation at all until I got called out by someone who doesn't know me I'm sure and said I was garbage. Someone who probably never even played football. I went to SFA, but had offers from (Southwest) Texas State, New Mexico State, UTEP and several other DII/DIII/NAIA schools. I don't know which "All-State" team really counts, just know that was a couple of the teams I was names to. I was on a 2-8 team my senior year and was 2nd team all-state. I'd trade that in a heartbeat if I could have been part of a playoff run and winning team. It is what it is. I'm getting out of this because I don't think this is the place for all this and it really doesn't mean anything and is ancient history.

Were y'all the first class to lose to West Hardin?

Southwest Texas State....UTEP....
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're full of crap. Especially since you probably can't name me one person from HD that played D1 anything in your lifetime.

Getting a letter from a college is not the same thing as getting an "offer".

I can vouch for HD9.  He was a very good football player.  I'm sure he doesn't care what you guys think, but I think it's probably time for the personal stuff to stop.  I'm sure there is something in the rules about personal attacks against other posters.  We are all adults here and can agree that the glory days have passed us all by!

I can vouch for HD9. He was a very good football player. I'm sure he doesn't care what you guys think, but I think it's probably time for the personal stuff to stop. I'm sure there is something in the rules about personal attacks against other posters. We are all adults here and can agree that the glory days have passed us all by!

There's nothing personal going on here... I don't even know the guy. Maybe he was good.

I'm just stating something obvious here. Nobody CAN play D1 and just choose not to. And there is no way he is better than all the great players in the last 30 or so years who also weren't good enough to play D1 ball.

2-8 small school teams do not have any college players on their roster. Otherwise they would've won more games.

I don't know what it is....but a lot of this HD stuff is self inflicted.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're full of crap. Especially since you probably can't name me one person from HD that played D1 anything in your lifetime.

I know a few cats that played D1 football from HD...

Man, you're just so smart. You must have been heavily recruited yourself. I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a "letter" from a collge, and an "offer". I had three clothes baskets full of letters and questionaires from every college in the nation. Did every one of them truly pursue me to the point of offering a scholarship....absolutley not. The only DI schools who offered me scholarships were UTEP, New Mexico State and the Air Force Academy.

If you want to hear my personal recruiting information.......here ya go!

Going to the Air Force Academy isn't like any other school. (except Navy/Army) in the fact that it's not truely an athletic scholarship because all cadets receive a scholarship from the Air Force to attend if you are selected. This is whether you are a student athlete or not. I was offered preliminary entrance into the Academy my junior year, based on ASVAB scores, GPA, SAT etc. There's several items that have to be completed to finalize acceptance including more testing, congressional letters of recommendation, essays etc. After thinking the AFA was the best option for me throughout my junior year, (which at the time was my only true option) I was leaning against it because of the six year enlistment requirement after graduation. At this point I was still getting "letters" from tons of DI schools, so I figured that better options would exist come my senior year, so I dropped out of the 18 month long acceptance process after a hitch in the process.

By the time my senior season came around, i'd hit several camps during the summer and was still getting some attention, but the Texas, LSU, and Florida letters weren't coming any longer. Several DII/DIII schools (including (SW) Texas State, SFA, and Northwestern State) offered. I was offered by UTEP in October (Coach Reffett) who was part of Charlie Bailey's staff. I really had no interest in going to school in El Paso (despite that a former HD teammate was there and getting playing time at defensive tackle) and was still getting interest from a couple other WAC and Big West schools. Colorado State called and told me that they'd give me preferred walk-on status, but they were not extending me an offer. On Halloween, I was offered a full ride to New Mexico State University. Two weeks later, I verbally committed to NMSU. I informed other schools that were still calling that I was committed to the Aggies. SFA and NSU rescended thier offers eventually as they informed me that it was late in the process and they would like to offer other kids if I was strongly committed. (as well as UTEP) I did not hear from (SW) Texas State. Things were good. Las Cruces was a cool city, nice campus, and good engineering school.

I got a call a few days before Christmas from Tony Samuel. He informed me that he was the new head coach at NMSU, he'd been hired to replace Coach Hess, and that unfortunately he was not going to be able to honor my scholarship offer. He told me that he was going in a different direction with the program and that he hated to do it, but he had some other players in mind that he need scholarships to be open for. WTF, for real? So now the big signing day thing at the library, and all the hoopla....gone. Don't even have an offer anymore. I hadn't signed, only verbally committed. I was screwed.

I jumped on the phone and call Coach Reffett at UTEP. All scholarships were already accounted for. Come walk-on....no thanks. What now? I call Kris Hacher who was one my contacts at (SW) Texas State. I let him know what was going on. He was like, man I'm not sure what we can do. Coach Heldsuer and 3/4 of the staff had been fired like three weeks earlier. (actually before the end of the season). That's why I didn't hear anything from Coach Everett Todd who was my recruiter. I was told that my name was still on the offer list and that as far as he knew, the offer was still on the table. He faxed me the paperwork, and I signed a letter of intent with Southwest Texas State University. Needless to say, it was very sketchy at best. A new staff hadn't been named, and the old staff was completly fired. So scholarships were in limbo for the most part.

I'm tired of typing. Needless to say, the new coach (DeBesse) didn't honor my scholarship when he took over. I reached out to John Pierce at SFA and ended up going to Nacogdoches.

I dont' know why I even typed all this crap. Just know that I didn't just "choose" to not play DI. I had a crazy set of circumstances that not alot of ppl have probably had to deal with. Part of it was my fault. If I'd had been better, then I wouldn't have been caught between a rock and a hard spot right before signing day. Recruiting was much different 15-20 yrs ago than it is now. Camps weren't as big of a deal, no YouTube or social media, and a much smaller window with coaches not being able to contact players directly until after there junior year. There have been dozens of kids come through HD that had DI talent. Guys that were way better than me. A high SAT score and 4.0 gpa helped me alot I do know that.

And there are tons of small school teams that have very talented individual players, that don't equal winning teams. Especially if that player is not a skill position player. That may have been the dumbest thing you said.

Look at Whitewright in 2012....led by All-Everything QB (and future University of Texas starter) Tyrone Swoopes. They finished 1-9 in 2A. I'm pretty sure he's DI talent and he didn't equal wins and he was the most important player on the field, the quarterback!

which of those coaches did you take up on that full ride offer bobcat9? or let me guess, something came up and you couldn't take your dominance to the next level. this is an absolute joke.

on a semi-serious note, i know someone who played with, and someone who played against broom (bobcat9) and they both say he was a good 2a player. they both say that downs (hd55) was a good team guy, but wasn't really any good as a player. however, the rumor that he couldn't touch the ground when he was in a 3-point stance is only partially correct. he couldn't touch the ground per se, but he could touch the grass ... if it was pretty high.

can you guys at hd please try to not turn every thread into a discussion about your irrelevant program?

does anyone have a list of the candidates for this job? interviews start tomorrow.

Semperfi96 last time I checked playing on Varsity 4 years, being a 3 year starter,3 time All-District First Team selection, All-Region Selection and Honorable Mention All-State makes for a good player. Are we could just ask All-State RB Sedric Broussard who he ran behind almost every play. At the end of the day, while you played the tuba and sang in the choir, I was busy opening holes on the line. Word is you never played a snap of football, but was a pretty good tennis player. If HD's program is so irrelevant, why do all you goons keep reading and following everything about HD? LMAO! SMH! HD NATION!

Man, you're just so smart. You must have been heavily recruited yourself. I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a "letter" from a collge, and an "offer". I had three clothes baskets full of letters and questionaires from every college in the nation. Did every one of them truly pursue me to the point of offering a scholarship....absolutley not. The only DI schools who offered me scholarships were UTEP, New Mexico State and the Air Force Academy.

If you want to hear my personal recruiting information.......here ya go!

Going to the Air Force Academy isn't like any other school. (except Navy/Army) in the fact that it's not truely an athletic scholarship because all cadets receive a scholarship from the Air Force to attend if you are selected. This is whether you are a student athlete or not. I was offered preliminary entrance into the Academy my junior year, based on ASVAB scores, GPA, SAT etc. There's several items that have to be completed to finalize acceptance including more testing, congressional letters of recommendation, essays etc. After thinking the AFA was the best option for me throughout my junior year, (which at the time was my only true option) I was leaning against it because of the six year enlistment requirement after graduation. At this point I was still getting "letters" from tons of DI schools, so I figured that better options would exist come my senior year, so I dropped out of the 18 month long acceptance process after a hitch in the process.

By the time my senior season came around, i'd hit several camps during the summer and was still getting some attention, but the Texas, LSU, and Florida letters weren't coming any longer. Several DII/DIII schools (including (SW) Texas State, SFA, and Northwestern State) offered. I was offered by UTEP in October (Coach Reffett) who was part of Charlie Bailey's staff. I really had no interest in going to school in El Paso (despite that a former HD teammate was there and getting playing time at defensive tackle) and was still getting interest from a couple other WAC and Big West schools. Colorado State called and told me that they'd give me preferred walk-on status, but they were not extending me an offer. On Halloween, I was offered a full ride to New Mexico State University. Two weeks later, I verbally committed to NMSU. I informed other schools that were still calling that I was committed to the Aggies. SFA and NSU rescended thier offers eventually as they informed me that it was late in the process and they would like to offer other kids if I was strongly committed. (as well as UTEP) I did not hear from (SW) Texas State. Things were good. Las Cruces was a cool city, nice campus, and good engineering school.

I got a call a few days before Christmas from Tony Samuel. He informed me that he was the new head coach at NMSU, he'd been hired to replace Coach Hess, and that unfortunately he was not going to be able to honor my scholarship offer. He told me that he was going in a different direction with the program and that he hated to do it, but he had some other players in mind that he need scholarships to be open for. WTF, for real? So now the big signing day thing at the library, and all the hoopla....gone. Don't even have an offer anymore. I hadn't signed, only verbally committed. I was screwed.

I jumped on the phone and call Coach Reffett at UTEP. All scholarships were already accounted for. Come walk-on....no thanks. What now? I call Kris Hacher who was one my contacts at (SW) Texas State. I let him know what was going on. He was like, man I'm not sure what we can do. Coach Heldsuer and 3/4 of the staff had been fired like three weeks earlier. (actually before the end of the season). That's why I didn't hear anything from Coach Everett Todd who was my recruiter. I was told that my name was still on the offer list and that as far as he knew, the offer was still on the table. He faxed me the paperwork, and I signed a letter of intent with Southwest Texas State University. Needless to say, it was very sketchy at best. A new staff hadn't been named, and the old staff was completly fired. So scholarships were in limbo for the most part.

I'm tired of typing. Needless to say, the new coach (DeBesse) didn't honor my scholarship when he took over. I reached out to John Pierce at SFA and ended up going to Nacogdoches.

I dont' know why I even typed all this crap. Just know that I didn't just "choose" to not play DI. I had a crazy set of circumstances that not alot of ppl have probably had to deal with. Part of it was my fault. If I'd had been better, then I wouldn't have been caught between a rock and a hard spot right before signing day. Recruiting was much different 15-20 yrs ago than it is now. Camps weren't as big of a deal, no YouTube or social media, and a much smaller window with coaches not being able to contact players directly until after there junior year. There have been dozens of kids come through HD that had DI talent. Guys that were way better than me. A high SAT score and 4.0 gpa helped me alot I do know that.

And there are tons of small school teams that have very talented individual players, that don't equal winning teams. Especially if that player is not a skill position player. That may have been the dumbest thing you said.

Look at Whitewright in 2012....led by All-Everything QB (and future University of Texas starter) Tyrone Swoopes. They finished 1-9 in 2A. I'm pretty sure he's DI talent and he didn't equal wins and he was the most important player on the field, the quarterback!

Really??

Semperfi96 last time I checked playing on Varsity 4 years, being a 3 year starter,3 time All-District First Team selection, All-Region Selection and Honorable Mention All-State makes for a good player. Are we could just ask All-State RB Sedric Broussard who he ran behind almost every play. At the end of the day, while you played the tuba and sang in the choir, I was busy opening holes on the line. Word is you never played a snap of football, but was a pretty good tennis player. If HD's program is so irrelevant, why do all you goons keep reading and following everything about HD? LMAO! SMH! HD NATION!

Broussard was a good RB where did he play college football