Deweyville Open

Careful. Chances are HD has an overall winning record against your school from 1920-1998. That means they could beat you today.

Not Likely. Newton plays the caliber of teams like West Orange Stark. And bigger schools year in, and year out. But they don't go around beating there chest about beating anyone. They play football, everyone knows the caliber of program they have. HD step up. Prove your steel. I see the individual that started talking all this nonsense hasn't spoken lately. Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk. They dint talk about HD or any other team. Everyone talks smack in the middle of the season. But most teams has respect for each other. Most people that talk alot overcompensate for their athletic abilities. I think this is the case here.

Well let's see that was 57 and 58 then 76,77,78, and 79 so it's been a long time since they have played and that was well before newton became a true high school football powerhouse Newton won a state title in the early 70s but they were no the power they were from the 80s to present so the HD boys don't want it now I guarantee ya

Well let's see that was 57 and 58 then 76,77,78, and 79 so it's been a long time since they have played and that was well before newton became a true high school football powerhouse Newton won a state title in the early 70s but they were no the power they were from the 80s to present so the HD boys don't want it now I guarantee ya

lol, maybe that is because HD's graduating class has about 30 kids a year and Newton way more than that. LMAO! Of course Newton would win, bigger classification.

But 55, not long ago you stated that the bobcats could probably beat just about anyone in Hardins old district. All those teams have larger enrollments. HD may have beaten the eagles 30 years ago but that's very old news. It's one thing to support your school but it's another thing to continue living in the past. 55, I like you guy, but the past is not always a good indicator of someone's future. Tell your son to play for today and his future.

lol, maybe that is because HD's graduating class has about 30 kids a year and Newton way more than that. LMAO! Of course Newton would win, bigger classification.

Kind of like the difference between.... oh.. Newton's graduating class and WOS. Or Liberty, Jasper, Buna, Silsbee....

I believe the point was to not be scared to play bigger schools. I mean...if you truly have a " powerhouse".

What a joke.

Enrollment should not matter! Being a better team and playing well does!

Ok, then why do we see teams drop a classification each year and all of a sudden contend for a championship? This argument is ridiculous. 185 lb lineman do not work as good as 265 lb lineman. It is better to have 100 kids at practice than 30 kids at practice. It is better to have 30 kids on the sideline than 15 kids on the sideline. Kids that play one way play at a higher pace than kids who play both ways. This is no secret.

If you go look at the state champions the last few years you will see most of them are at the top end population wise. more students = more athletes

Exactly. There is an occasional exception but the numbers play out over time. We just had this discussion a few weeks ago regarding next years San Augustine vs. Splendora game.

Ok, then why do we see teams drop a classification each year and all of a sudden contend for a championship? This argument is ridiculous. 185 lb lineman do not work as good as 265 lb lineman. It is better to have 100 kids at practice than 30 kids at practice. It is better to have 30 kids on the sideline than 15 kids on the sideline. Kids that play one way play at a higher pace than kids who play both ways. This is no secret.

You are right.  Great teams in a classification usually can't compete with good teams in a higher classification. (when it comes to football or baseball) Sometimes they cant even compete with mediocre teams in a higher classification.

But there is an implication here that HD is a "football powerhouse".  A football powerhouse can beat or even compete with some teams in a higher classification.  Not all but some.  I know that HD will probably never again be able to beat Newton in football.  But to be fair, I don't think Mart could beat Newton either.

The point is you can't make contradictory statements an think you wont get ganged up on.  HD vs. ? all time record is blah blah blah, so we're gonna beat yall.  And then after the game say "well they have a bigger graduating class"

Newton plays and wins with 185 lb lineman that's no excuse. You either have it or you don't we compete against teams of all sizes so I don't want to hear that.

Why are there classifications? Newton has a great program. Newton is not winning the state championship every year. Do you think they would do better in a higher classification? Do you think they would not do better in a lower classification? That is your argument, correct?