Greatest School Rivalry

When only one side considers it a rivalry, it ain't a rivalry...and it ain't a rivalry when one side wins 90% of the time over the course of history either...sorry twocents, vidor is not Nederland's rival...png is and always will be

Please don't get him going again, we go through this every year when we play each other.  Thats why I wouldn't respond to him earlier in the thread.  Otherwise this thread will be 50 pages long.  LOL   :rolleyes:

Bulldogs / Indians, Dave Campbells magazine ranked us No. 3 in the State, I think they ranked Odessa Permian / Midland No. 1.  But those two schools are a long way off from each other, here in Ned and Port Neches/Groves we face each other every day of our lives, you lose this game and you gotta face the music from the other fans all year long.  When you're on the winning end nothing is finer, lose and it is close to someone dying in your family (NO JOKE)  The atomosphere at a Ned/PN/G game is like no other and those who would argue otherwise all I can say " it's a Bulldog/Indian thing you just would'nt understand."

This comment was brought to you by the No. 1 rivalry in Texas, and since no other state measures up to Texas I guess we're No. 1 in the Nation.

Midland and Odessa are only 20 miles from each other.  And they HATE each other.  Odessa has long been considered the blue collar town; Midland the white-collared town.  From 1980 to 2000, the two schools combined to win 10 (yes, 10) of the Class 5A state Championships during that period.  So Permian and Lee is a rivalry like no other.  Case in point, I attended the state quarterfinal game between Permian and Lee in Jones Stadium in Lubbock in 1989.  Permian won and went on to win state.  Attendance for that game?  I can't remember the exact number but it was somewhere between 40 & 50k...for a high school game.  PNG/Nederland is great.  One of the best.  But it's not Odessa Permian/Midland Lee great.

Please don't get him going again, we go through this every year when we play each other.  Thats why I wouldn't respond to him earlier in the thread.  Otherwise this thread will be 50 pages long.  LOL   :rolleyes:

I am just throwing the bait out there for him, bigdog to see how much fun we can have with this...lol...poor disrespected vidor wants to be Nederland's rivals so bad

Guest ECBucFan

Midland and Odessa are only 20 miles from each other.  And they HATE each other.  Odessa has long been considered the blue collar town; Midland the white-collared town.  From 1980 to 2000, the two schools combined to win 10 (yes, 10) of the Class 5A state Championships during that period. 

That legendary district used to be called "The Little SouthWest Conference". 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-Southwest-Conference-Greatest/dp/1928846270

Of course the level of a rivalry is only measured by our opinions, but let me throw one more added opinion in the fire.  Odessa, and Midland each have two (2) 5-A high schools each. So seeing how they split their loyalty between two high schools it waters things down as far as the total community is concerned.  On the other hand Nederland, has but one High School, and PN-G but one High School, their can only be Bulldogs and their can only be Indians therefore the ENTIRE communities of each school live and breathe this game, and to top it off, the late and great Bum Phillips presides over this game from his pressbox in the sky. I'm 64 ( a Bulldog) and this year will be the 55th year  for me to watch the greatest High School Rivalry in Texas or the Nation.