Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

No one keeps up with UT recruiting as much as you.  So we might not know as much.  You guys are welcome to our culls as always.  You're welcome in advance.  

Culls?   Now that's funny right there 

Would you like to compare Texas commits that had offers from A&M and vice versa?

The fans will need it with the team Chucky is putting on the field next year.

@Horns247: Breaking: The University of Texas has approved the sale of beer at football games for the 2015 season:

This is the hidden content, please

Why don't you chickens**** Aggies sign up to play'em then? Oh, I forgot, your daddy said no.

Why don't you chickens**** Aggies sign up to play'em then? Oh, I forgot, your daddy said no.

​Quick History Lesson - Your (Texas's) daddy said no first but that is easy to forget is it not.

Deloss Dodds stated that they did not want to play A&M again - Just a few quotes "We (Texas) gets to decide when we play again", "Could (the game) but on Texas's terms" and "We don't want to play Texas A&M at this time"

and more recently your current AD stated "We are booked until 2027" and cannot play Texas A&M.

But from Texas fans it is only A&M that won' schedule the game - Sorry fact is Texas ain't exactly coming in with open arms to get the game going again.  But Texas and Texas A&M coaches have stated that they want to play every year.  But both Administrations are throwing up roadblocks.

Will it happen - very likely but I do not see it happening in he next year or two.

​Quick History Lesson - Your (Texas's) daddy said no first but that is easy to forget is it not.

Deloss Dodds stated that they did not want to play A&M again - Just a few quotes "We (Texas) gets to decide when we play again", "Could (the game) but on Texas's terms" and "We don't want to play Texas A&M at this time"

and more recently your current AD stated "We are booked until 2027" and cannot play Texas A&M.

But from Texas fans it is only A&M that won' schedule the game - Sorry fact is Texas ain't exactly coming in with open arms to get the game going again.  But Texas and Texas A&M coaches have stated that they want to play every year.  But both Administrations are throwing up roadblocks.

Will it happen - very likely but I do not see it happening in he next year or two.

​

Quicker history lesson:

2015 Advocare Texas Bowl-

Texas vs SEC opponent-

Texas was there-

aTm was not.

Lesson over.

Quicker history lesson:

Texas vs SEC opponent-

Texas was there-

aTm was not.

Lesson over.

In all fairness, that wasn't A&M's call.  Mike Slive was not going to let that game happen because he did not want to risk A&M losing to Texas.   The SEC gets to slot those bowl games.  

Quicker history lesson:

Texas vs SEC opponent-

Texas was there-

aTm was not.

Lesson over.

​All I stated was that it was your AD that first took the childish attitude of "I will take my ball and go home if you don't play by my rules".

Then I do believe that the SEC did A&M no favors by not letting the teams play this year.

Fact is I believe that neither university really is pushing to play the other at this time - they both have too much to lose if the games went against them.

It will happen but I do not sense a GREAT PUSH from either program to make it happen NOW.

Edited by OldTimer

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report--texas-lost-10-000-season-tickets-after-2014-season-145328010.html

Does that mean you guys can stop narrowing seats to try and make that tackle box keep up with the Joneses?  I will get back to you when we are selling out 120k...

Does that mean you guys can stop narrowing seats to try and make that tackle box keep up with the Joneses?  I will get back to you when we are selling out 120k...

105,123 was A&M's average attendance last year.  That's 11,020 more fans on average that the "Joneses."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Top-college-football-attendance-from-2014-37271863

Serious question.  How long until they run off Patterson?  He's terrible and is driving the athletic department into the ground.  He wanted to charge $25 for 50th year alumni to walk on the field during their reunion?  Charging coaches for visiting the kids at the dining hall after 30 visits?  Really?  The Big Cigars will be calling for his head in no time.  

Serious question.  How long until they run off Patterson?  He's terrible and is driving the athletic department into the ground.  He wanted to charge $25 for 50th year alumni to walk on the field during their reunion?  Charging coaches for visiting the kids at the dining hall after 30 visits?  Really?  The Big Cigars will be calling for head in no time.  

Many already are. 

105,123 was A&M's average attendance last year.  That's 11,020 more fans on average that the "Joneses."

Tickets sold, people don't always show to watch a bad product.  Count me in that number.  I only went to 2 games.  Sorry, but I no longer feel obligated to show up if I don't feel like I am going to enjoy that particular game.  Of course, I still pay for my seats. 

WHICH, I guess explains why we still make the dough (insert Jonses).  BUT, I will admit you Aggies are frugal little fellas.   So, again, congrats!!

Serious question.  How long until they run off Patterson?  He's terrible and is driving the athletic department into the ground.  He wanted to charge $25 for 50th year alumni to walk on the field during their reunion?  Charging coaches for visiting the kids at the dining hall after 30 visits?  Really?  The Big Cigars will be calling for his head in no time.  

​He will be gone before Christmas. 

I think he's done a good job with the Strong and Smart hires. The Athletics department is making money.

Not sure what the good ol boys want. I'm betting they just want things to be like they were-unlimited access.

As for charging alums to be on the field, I'm not sure what that is in reference to. The article indicates that it was not during a game.

Edited by GCMPats2

This isn't going to end well for Chuck and the Stronghorns.

Every high school football player who visits Texas this weekend as part of the Longhorns’ “junior day†recruiting weekend should understand what new coach Charlie Strong is looking for.

“I want smart guys. I want tough guys. And I want dependable guys,†Strong told the American-Statesman this week, detailing his recruiting philosophy. “Smart, tough, dependable. That’s what I’m looking for.

“Is he going to be able to learn what we ask him to do? Is he going to be able to go across campus, and will he be successful academically here?†Strong added. “Is he tough? When we talk about toughness, is he going to go through this program where it’s a mental game, a physical game? Can he withstand that?â€

Then, Strong reiterated his final point, which speaks to a player’s character.

“Just look at the attention you get here,†Strong said. “Is he a guy that once the lights turn off, is he a guy that we can really depend on?â€

Strong touched on a number of key recruiting points as his staff prepares to host 75-100 players. Mack Brown assembled most of Texas’ 2014 recruiting class. The 2015 class is all on Strong.

Strong outlined how his coaching staff evaluates players. First, new director of player personnel Mike Giglio assembles the information and video. Then the player file is turned over to the assistant coach responsible for that player’s hometown.

If the first assistant coach likes what he sees, he goes to that player’s position coach. If the position coach likes what he sees, it’s on to the offensive or defensive coordinator. If the coordinator gets excited, all three coaches go to Strong for an in-depth film session.

If Strong gives the final nod of approval, the head coach himself makes the call to offer a scholarship.

So when a player is offered a scholarship, that means four Texas coaches gave a thumb’s up.

“I want enough eyes on that guy so that if he ends up being a bad player, it doesn’t fall back on (one staff member),†Strong said.

•Brown routinely used junior days to reel in numerous new commitments. Texas fans shouldn’t necessarily expect the same from Strong.

Strong said he will accept an early commitment from a high school junior in certain cases. But he still wants to see some senior film on that player, too. That player must hold up his end of the bargain, Strong said.

In some cases, the player makes an early commitment and essentially shuts down on his high school coach, Strong said. The player gains weight, maybe doesn’t work out as hard and stops developing.

“If I do take one early, I’m going to let him come up with his parents and his high school coach, and we sit down and talk about it,†Strong said. “Everybody is in agreement that he’s going back to that high school and be the best player that he can be. Don’t worry about the University of Texas, because No. 1, you’re not here yet.â€

Early commitments are somewhat of a phenomenon in this part of the country, Strong said. In the SEC and ACC, players usually wait until their senior years to commit.

“Usually, the kids on that side of the Mississippi, that’s what they do,†Strong said. “Now, you take this side, they all want to commit early. But where are all the championships being won right now? Let’s not be in a hurry to say, ‘Let’s go take this kid.’ â€

“Never will we ever go behind the coach’s back to offer a young man. But if he says, ‘No, coach, he’s not ready yet,’ then I’m going to take that to heart and say, ‘OK, coach, you call us when he’s ready.’

Coaches have the right to essentially cut a player they deem unfit for their program, although most don’t because of the PR backlash it causes.

Strong said his players can lose their scholarship if they break one of his five core values — honesty, treating women with respect, no drugs, no stealing and no guns — or by becoming academically ineligible or by breaking university rules that lead to expulsion.

“I don’t want to ever be in the business where we take a kid and it doesn’t work out in the second year and we … that’s our fault,†Strong said. “If that happens, that’s on us. At the end of the day, you’ve got to get him an education. We saw him. We thought he was a good player.â€

“Mainly, I’d like to eyeball them and I want to sit down and talk to them, if we think these guys are one of the guys,†Strong said. “I want to see what his goals are, what he’s looking for in a school and see what his parents are thinking.â€

Amazingly, in his first full recruiting season, still finished with the top class in the state.  Kind of remarkable since he didn't have that mighty SEC card to play.   Whether it will end well or not remains to be seen.  I am confident it will probably end better than tied for 9th in the conference ;)