Strong Coaching Pedigree

UTfanatic

Yes or no

I think 3 years http

This is the hidden content, please

I think he gets one more year.  Has nothing to do with money.  Took them about 8 seconds to round up the buyout from private donors for Patterson's contract.   I think most of the heavy hitters agree with you and think 3 years is a fair period to turn something around.  If he doesn't, Tom Jurich or Oliver Luck will be hiring the next coach.  

I think he gets one more year.  Has nothing to do with money.  Took them about 8 seconds to round up the buyout from private donors for Patterson's contract.   I think most of the heavy hitters agree with you and think 3 years is a fair period to turn something around.  If he doesn't, Tom Jurich or Oliver Luck will be hiring the next coach.  

Al, Jesse, and Quannell will be all over the 40 acres if they fire Charlie after this year.  He at least gets 1 more year imo.  After that they can go get Saban, one of the Grudens, Cowher, one of the Harbaughs, or Belichick to be the new coach. 

Al, Jesse, and Quannell will be all over the 40 acres if they fire Charlie after this year.  He at least gets 1 more year imo.  After that they can go get Saban, one of the Grudens, Cowher, one of the Harbaughs, or Belichick to be the new coach. 

He will.  He gets another year.  Whether he gets a fourth depends on the improvement shown.  But it doesn't have anything to do with the reason mentioned.  The powers that be believe he deserves it.   Of course, this is assuming his team continues to show improvement.   If the season begins to downward spiral, he may be gone after this one.  After all, they put in "their guy" as interim (a lawyer from Houston) and have full ability and the cash to do what they want at this point.   And these are the same guys who are far and away the Governor's biggest war chest   

And make all the fun you want.  It is sometimes difficult for aggy to comprehend.  But one of those guys you mention as a replacement was with Red McCombs the night of the football banquet 2 years ago when Mack refused to resign/retire.  He signed a deal with his current school the next day...the same deal that had been sitting on his desk for weeks.  These are facts unless Red lied to the gentleman I was with who called him from a Christmas party we were both attending.  Prior to Mack's infamous last stand... 

I think he has at least 2 more years with little grey hairs to worry about.  Seems that he is well liked in the Texas power structure - so 2016 is a given no matter what happens imo.

In 2016 and after if he does not compete for the Big 12 title then problems will start and pressure to replace will mount.  All Texas alumni want to be a national power again at the best and at the minimum to be able to have a better program than Texas A&M and if Charlie can't provide that then he will be asked to move on.

Had to laugh heard from a fairly high placed Texas Alumni that donates fairly good sized money that the powers that be at Texas have at least in principal started to address the possibility of a stadium expansion - IF that is true think that is very funny.

I think he has at least 2 more years with little grey hairs to worry about.  Seems that he is well liked in the Texas power structure - so 2016 is a given no matter what happens imo.

In 2016 and after if he does not compete for the Big 12 title then problems will start and pressure to replace will mount.  All Texas alumni want to be a national power again at the best and at the minimum to be able to have a better program than Texas A&M and if Charlie can't provide that then he will be asked to move on.

Had to laugh heard from a fairly high placed Texas Alumni that donates fairly good sized money that the powers that be at Texas have at least in principal started to address the possibility of a stadium expansion - IF that is true think that is very funny.

It's all about how a team is going.  In any sport, at any level.  Wins put butts in the stands. Remember lots of empty seats at some games of a school who believes they have the best of fans just a few short years ago.  It happens.  If the Horns return to the dominance of the last decade, they could sell out 120k easily.  After all, they still have the most fans. 

As for Charlie, I can't say you're wrong.  But if it goes south, there are a lot of impatient folks with a lot of money who won't sit idly.  But you are right, he seems to be well liked by the right people.  And Patterson, right or wrong, was where they focused their ire.  I still think he has one more year barring a complete collapse.  After that, he will be safe for as long as his teams show steady improvement.  

It's all about how a team is going.  In any sport, at any level.  Wins put butts in the stands. Remember lots of empty seats at some games of a school who believes they have the best of fans just a few short years ago.  It happens.  If the Horns return to the dominance of the last decade, they could sell out 120k easily.  After all, they still have the most fans. 

As for Charlie, I can't say you're wrong.  But if it goes south, there are a lot of impatient folks with a lot of money who won't sit idly.  But you are right, he seems to be well liked by the right people.  And Patterson, right or wrong, was where they focused their ire.  I still think he has one more year barring a complete collapse.  After that, he will be safe for as long as his teams show steady improvement.  

I think you are right. 

Out of likes. 

That Strong backing for Strong - that just sounded funny :) - will last only if he can make big strides the rest of the year.

If he has other blow outs to the likes of Oklahoma, WVU and Texas Tech - then who knows.  If he can pull a win or two he just bought some forgiveness.

If he does not win all three against K State, Iowa State and Kansas - his head may be on the chopping block sooner than anyone is expecting!

If he does stay and the season continues on this slippery slope - the biggest question is how will it affect recruiting - if that dries up as well then he is all but toast.

Edited by OldTimer

I take back what I said above.  After Saturday, I don't think there's much chance Charlie gets another year.  The expectations of what he would need to do the rest of the way are unrealistic, if not impossible.  He is not gone yet, but he better turn it around in miracle fashion.  

I could see Charlie resigning after the season.  He looks defeated in his pressers and doesn't seem happy to be there in general.  Jobs like Texas take a special kind of person that is not only a great coach, but also a media personality, fundraiser, a** kisser etc.  

It's all the pressure of having the top college coaching job in the country. But then again, it's like everywhere else......win or bye-bye.

Why isn't Saban still in Miami?

Why isn't Petino still in Boston?

How about Phil Jackson and the Lakers?

Jimmy Johnson and the Dolphins?

Point is, lots of successful coaches have coached other places and failed miserably. Doesn't make them bad coaches, just not the right fit or any number of other intangibles.