Nederland vs Dayton Game 1 / Dayton wins 2-0!!

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1400478" timestamp="1367589834"]
From the beaumont enterprise  ;D

Young boys raced out into the grass and gravel-filled parking lot for the chance at foul balls that clanked off unsuspecting car hoods.

The twine hung behind home plate did not reach high enough to keep many foul tips within the park.

Fans overflowed from the limited, rust-stained bleachers to standing along the first and third baselines beyond the dugouts.

One of two rows of lights in the outfield was out.

The conditions at Dayton were not ideal for Nederland in a 2-0 loss Thursday night and neither was the Bulldogs' play.

"Embarrassing, just embarrassing," one Nederland player repeated to himself as he gathered his things after the opening round Game 1 defeat.

The Bulldogs recorded six hits through the first four innings, but did not manage a hit off Dayton junior pitcher Kevin Roe in the final three frames. Hope-filled chances were ultimately tarnished.

"We had opportunities, we just didn't get the big hit," Nederland coach Cody Robbins said. "I thought Mitchell Sanderson pitched well and gave us an opportunity to win."

The Bulldogs' next opportunity is Game 2, 7 p.m. today at Nederland. Game 3, if necessary, is 1 p.m. Saturday at Nederland.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Nederland-baseball-loses-to-Dayton-in-Game-1-4484701.php#ixzz2SEpeyRQ1
[/quote]Improvements are on the way---soon.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="1400523" timestamp="1367593702"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=111638.msg1400478#msg1400478 date=1367589834]
From the beaumont enterprise  ;D

Young boys raced out into the grass and gravel-filled parking lot for the chance at foul balls that clanked off unsuspecting car hoods.

The twine hung behind home plate did not reach high enough to keep many foul tips within the park.

Fans overflowed from the limited, rust-stained bleachers to standing along the first and third baselines beyond the dugouts.

One of two rows of lights in the outfield was out.

The conditions at Dayton were not ideal for Nederland in a 2-0 loss Thursday night and neither was the Bulldogs' play.

"Embarrassing, just embarrassing," one Nederland player repeated to himself as he gathered his things after the opening round Game 1 defeat.

The Bulldogs recorded six hits through the first four innings, but did not manage a hit off Dayton junior pitcher Kevin Roe in the final three frames. Hope-filled chances were ultimately tarnished.

"We had opportunities, we just didn't get the big hit," Nederland coach Cody Robbins said. "I thought Mitchell Sanderson pitched well and gave us an opportunity to win."

The Bulldogs' next opportunity is Game 2, 7 p.m. today at Nederland. Game 3, if necessary, is 1 p.m. Saturday at Nederland.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Nederland-baseball-loses-to-Dayton-in-Game-1-4484701.php#ixzz2SEpeyRQ1
[/quote]Improvements are on the way---soon.
[/quote]

Yall stay away from our field ;)

Nederland's hitting is taking a lot of heat for the loss.The hitting conditions ,with cold high winds blowing in, were terrible.Nederland set up Dayton's runs with two high throws from fielders and they took advantage of the mistakes.Nederland had just as many hits as Dayton but did not make Dayton pay for their mistakes.With out the two bad throws I feel like it would have been a 0-0 game going into the seventh.Great job by Dayton's pitcher only giving up one free pass with a hit batter and keeping the ball out of the happy zone most of the game.Hope Nederland's hitters get out of their comfort zones at the plate and make adjustments to pitchers or they will have plenty of time being comfortable at home watching the rest of the play-offs.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1400590" timestamp="1367600046"]
[b]Nederland's hitting is taking a lot of heat for the loss.The hitting conditions ,with cold high winds blowing in, were terrible[/b].Nederland set up Dayton's runs with two high throws from fielders and they took advantage of the mistakes.Nederland had just as many hits as Dayton but did not make Dayton pay for their mistakes.With out the two bad throws I feel like it would have been a 0-0 game going into the seventh.Great job by Dayton's pitcher only giving up one free pass with a hit batter and keeping the ball out of the happy zone most of the game.Hope Nederland's hitters get out of their comfort zones at the plate and make adjustments to pitchers or they will have plenty of time being comfortable at home watching the rest of the play-offs.
[/quote] The same conditions when Dayton was at bat. IMO the score should have been more than 2-0 Dayton had the bases loaded and missed that opportunity to make some runs there....  But a win is a win.... I'm happy happy happy...(In my best Phil Robertson voice)

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1400590" timestamp="1367600046"]
Nederland's hitting is taking a lot of heat for the loss.The hitting conditions ,with cold high winds blowing in, were terrible.Nederland set up Dayton's runs with two high throws from fielders and they took advantage of the mistakes.Nederland had just as many hits as Dayton but did not make Dayton pay for their mistakes.With out the two bad throws I feel like it would have been a 0-0 game going into the seventh.Great job by Dayton's pitcher only giving up one free pass with a hit batter and keeping the ball out of the happy zone most of the game.Hope Nederland's hitters get out of their comfort zones at the plate and make adjustments to pitchers or they will have plenty of time being comfortable at home watching the rest of the play-offs.
[/quote]If Nederland wins tonight I will have a statement similar to this to post! ;D

[quote name="BellBiz30" post="1400608" timestamp="1367603923"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=111638.msg1400590#msg1400590 date=1367600046]
[/quote]If Nederland wins tonight I will have a statement similar to this to post! ;D
[/quote]

This is like a reverse break-up- It's not me it's you.

[quote name="BellBiz30" post="1400608" timestamp="1367603923"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=111638.msg1400590#msg1400590 date=1367600046]
[/quote]

Now that there's funny.  ;D

Dayton only opened the door twice that I can remember.A missed pick-off throw and a wild pitch moved runners to second base.Dogs could not come up with the clutch hits to drive them in.Dayton was the better team last night.Just glad the Dogs have a chance to show what they are made of at home. 

Hopefully Nederland will hit better tonight.  But , this is 2 years in a row the Dogs were a pitching dominated team with little hitting .
The only power from last years team graduated .  This team has no power at all !  But there were  better sticks in the junior and soph class JV team this year which will move up in 2014.  it remains to be seen if they will have equal pitching .

[quote name="NCState" post="1400746" timestamp="1367621423"]
Hopefully Nederland will hit better tonight.  But , this is 2 years in a row the Dogs were a pitching dominated team with little hitting .
The only power from last years team graduated .  This team has no power at all !  But there were  better sticks in the junior and soph class JV team this year which will move up in 2014.  it remains to be seen if they will have equal pitching .
[/quote]
Pitching will drop off, but the JV team was filled with bats. 2-6 all had the ability to take one deep on any given pitch.

[quote name="NCState" post="1400746" timestamp="1367621423"]
[/quote]

I believe Nederland has hit 1 homerun this year and that was Sanderson in a tournament game. 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1400762" timestamp="1367623940"]
[quote author=NCState link=topic=111638.msg1400746#msg1400746 date=1367621423]
[/quote]

I believe Nederland has hit 1 homerun this year and that was Sanderson in a tournament game.
[/quote]
It was the first district game.

[quote name="TEXASLH07" post="1400805" timestamp="1367628205"]
Nederland's JV has 5 kids that can hit the ball but there is one that can flat out hit. He is not the biggest kid by far... batted clean up with 4 HR's.
[/quote]
Colby Price is his name, but Robbins didn't call him up for some reason..

[quote name="ram0524" post="1401067" timestamp="1367641973"]
[quote author=TEXASLH07 link=topic=111638.msg1400805#msg1400805 date=1367628205]
Nederland's JV has 5 kids that can hit the ball but there is one that can flat out hit. He is not the biggest kid by far... batted clean up with 4 HR's.
[/quote]
Colby Price is his name, but Robbins didn't call him up for some reason..
[/quote]That has to have some people scratching their heads...not sure about that decision?? He is a good kid that works hard on and off the field.

I have watched every Nederland game but one.I believe that 75% of the games they played in especially early in the season the wind was blowing in pretty hard.The dogs hit some shots that would have carried out if not for the wind.As for as the kid that was not brought up.I do know when he ran triangles with the varsity he was the only player that did not meet the time required for all of the team to finish conditioning.I know the seniors were pretty upset with his effort.Might of had something to do with him not being moved up.I know he is very talented but the coach has to worry about chemistry.If the younger players faced the same pitching as varsity players in unfriendly hitting conditions the homerun totals would be close IMO and you probably would see higher strike-out totals. 

This is a subject that I feel we should not dwell on to much...but to say not putting forth effort during conditioning would be very uncharacteristic of this paticular player. I'm not sure if there is some confusion with maybe another player. Yes, he is talanted, he is a sophmore, and he is a good kid...but as for knowing how he would adjust to Varsity pitching...that remains to be seen until next year. He lead the JV team in probally every aspect of the hitting category...only 4 k's all season. Robbins is the only person who knows why he did or did not call upon certain underclassmen.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1401664" timestamp="1367858905"]
First hand info. from a senior but I do agree the kid is very talented and may have not been feeling well that day.One thing is for sure is the Dogs will reload instead of rebuild next year!
[/quote]

how many returning varisty players does nederland have?

[quote name="crittergitter" post="1401712" timestamp="1367866950"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=111638.msg1401664#msg1401664 date=1367858905]
First hand info. from a senior but I do agree the kid is very talented and may have not been feeling well that day.One thing is for sure is the Dogs will reload instead of rebuild next year!
[/quote]

how many returning varisty players does nederland have?
[/quote]

Next year, srs - White, Feltman, Stewart, Clark
(Contrast to this senior heavy team, however, good leadership again next season)

Players moved up
jrs - Broussard, Bordelon, Smith, Nevala
soph - Krautz

Broussard, Smith have live bats along with Srs Stewart and of course, Feltman...Krautz,Broussard, Babino offer speed like Dogs have now.
Lots of good things to look forward to next season....
Let's enjoy this run, Bulldogs.