Silsbee 79 Hardin-Jefferson 76/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Do not rule out Argyle in Region I or Liberty Hill in Region IV

They might come out of Region IV because it is generally the weakest region, but I was extremely unimpressed the one time I saw Liberty Hill this year. Silsbee would run them out of the gym.

Decatur is an interesting team who looks to be the favorite out of Region 1. They have a 6’7 or so post that can play, a guard/forward who is solid and they play really solid team defense. Most importantly they play really well together and are extremely, extremely well coached.  I think they had a better team two years ago. They were district champs that year, Argyle finished second and we know how tough they were at the state tournament.  

Anyways, Silsbee/Decatur would be an interesting matchup similar to the matchup with Silsbee/Argyle two years ago.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Wasn't there, but saw a pic of scoreboard at end of 3rd Q. Silsbee led 61-56 and led in fouls, 10-4. 10 fouls in one quarter? Must of been a tight crew.

Wonder what the total foul count ended up being?

here are your final facts- I hope they are read by a couple of others on here who implied that the narrowness of the victory was attributable to the refs

HJ shot ZERO free throws in the first half,    Silsbee shot 6

For the entire game, HJ shot 11 free throws,  Silsbee 16

This demonstrates that the "lopsided" second half foul count wasn't very lopsided.  Simply stated, HJ shot 11 of their 11 free throws in the second half and Silsbee shot 10 in the second half.

Total foul count was 18-18 and only HJ had a player foul out

13 minutes ago, stevenash said:

here are your final facts- I hope they are read by a couple of others on here who implied that the narrowness of the victory was attributable to the refs

HJ shot ZERO free throws in the first half,    Silsbee shot 6

For the entire game, HJ shot 11 free throws,  Silsbee 16

This demonstrates that the "lopsided" second half foul count wasn't very lopsided.  Simply stated, HJ shot 11 of their 11 free throws in the second half and Silsbee shot 10 in the second half.

Total foul count was 18-18 and only HJ had a player foul out

Question. Was HJ fouling at the end to put Silsbee at the line? That would significantly make the foul count go up for HJ and the free throw attempts go up for Silsbee.

Again, was not there. Just asking.

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Question. Was HJ fouling at the end to put Silsbee at the line? That would significantly make the foul count go up for HJ and the free throw attempts go up for Silsbee.

Again, was not there. Just asking.

Hj committed ONE foul intentionally in the game  Until the last few seconds of the game, there was no need to foul intentionally because the game was extremely close  Foul shot attempts in second half were virtually identical for both teams.

The low free throw numbers especially in that first half to me show how most of the fouls were called away from the basket.  Not many shooting fouls.  I don’t think it was the foul count that kept the game close. There were a number of factors:  1) Hj played and shot the ball very well 2) game was called tight away from the basket limiting the Tigers success in forcing turnovers 3) McCains absence. And I can add 4) Everytime we looked to start a run HJ hit a big shot to stymie it.

We allowed too many good looks, rotated leaving a man open and HJ hit the shots.

8 minutes ago, ST413 said:

The low free throw numbers especially in that first half to me show how most of the fouls were called away from the basket.  Not many shooting fouls.  I don’t think it was the foul count that kept the game close. There were a number of factors:  1) Hj played and shot the ball very well 2) game was called tight away from the basket limiting the Tigers success in forcing turnovers 3) McCains absence. And I can add 4) Everytime we looked to start a run HJ hit a big shot to stymie it.

We allowed too many good looks, rotated leaving a man open and HJ hit the shots.

Speaking of big shots, I believe your point guard made a number of three pointers from 6 to 8 feet behind the arc.  Very impressive.

Did Yates really get a 6'7 and a 6'9? How does that even work??? And about this game..HJ is well coached and they took advantage of Silsbee having their best PLAYER out. HJ is a solid team and will make noise in the playoffs. Silsbee will not lose another game this year. The 6'7 and 6'9 kinda has me worried, but SIlsbee should still be fine. If Bush is on, I do not think Silsbee can lose. If he is off, it is possible for them to lose to a really good 4a team. IMO Bush might be the best shooter I have ever seen in SETX. I did not see any HS ball before 2006. 

5 minutes ago, bradyb said:

Did Yates really get a 6'7 and a 6'9? How does that even work??? And about this game..HJ is well coached and they took advantage of Silsbee having their best PLAYER out. HJ is a solid team and will make noise in the playoffs. Silsbee will not lose another game this year. The 6'7 and 6'9 kinda has me worried, but SIlsbee should still be fine. If Bush is on, I do not think Silsbee can lose. If he is off, it is possible for them to lose to a really good 4a team. IMO Bush might be the best shooter I have ever seen in SETX. I did not see any HS ball before 2006. 

I have been told in the past it was because of a great communications programs and that tall basketball players tend to gravitate toward it and everything else is just incidental.

3 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Houston Washington is horrible. Yates presses even when up 30. Silsbee could have hung 200 on HF. Dont get impressed by scores. 

They are hardly an elite team but their scores do indicate that Washington is pretty good.  Check out their record on Maxpreps.  They beat Wheatley, Scarborough, North Forest, everybody they've faced in the district except Yates.  Often by comfortable margins.  They've scored over 100 three times and routinely post scores in the 90's.  They beat No 18 Needville by more than we beat No.17 HF.  Looks like they will come in second in District 23.  23 is not as strong as 22, but based on their record I would project Washington would come in third behind Hardin Jefferson in our district, beating everybody except the big 2.

The fact that Yates handled them so easily is significant in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

What region is Kennedale in?

I would assume region 2 given their location, but you never really know. That's another good looking team. Gave College Station their only loss of the season so far. 4A this year is looking really strong overall.

They are in region 2.  So as good as they are it's unlikely they can make it out of that meat grinder region.  

12 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

They are hardly an elite team but their scores do indicate that Washington is pretty good.  Check out their record on Maxpreps.  They beat Wheatley, Scarborough, North Forest, everybody they've faced in the district except Yates.  Often by comfortable margins.  They've scored over 100 three times and routinely post scores in the 90's.  They beat No 18 Needville by more than we beat No.17 HF.  Looks like they will come in second in District 23.  23 is not as strong as 22, but based on their record I would project Washington would come in third behind Hardin Jefferson in our district, beating everybody except the big 2.

The fact that Yates handled them so easily is significant in my opinion.

We shall see. Yates is always Yates 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

I have been told in the past it was because of a great communications programs and that tall basketball players tend to gravitate toward it and everything else is just incidental.

Everybody should have "a great communications program"  Nothing wrong with communications I always say.

Sig just needs to let them play and stop taken them out the game. Silsbee players are hateing on being taken out of games when teams like Yates never get taken out coach Wise let's them play. Let the kids play if they score 150 they score 150 don't hold them back every one knows who we are and how we play and what they are in for. This like to have costed us a game Friday. Let the kids play Basketball. 

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Evidently you have to be real tall to take a communications program. :) 

They send out these remarkable communications on a special audio wavelength length where mysteriously the signals always stay above 6'.  By a remarkable coincidence that's the perfect ear height for basketball centers.

17 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

They send out these remarkable communications on a special audio wavelength length where mysteriously the signals always stay above 6'.  By a remarkable coincidence that's the perfect ear height for basketball centers.

Lol - obviously designed by a genius at Yates.   :)