How is Silsbee's off-season progressing?

Things are looking good here in the Smoke. Coach Smith has a very solid off-season program. He is instilling a competitive value within the kids in the program. Almost all of their non-weight training activities involve competing with kids within their groups. He also keeps the weight room open starting at 6:45 am and after school till almost 6 pm so track kids can hit the weights. (which is about an hour and a half longer than it used to be) He takes attendance of those who show up and marks points for the kids showing up to workouts and other sports games (baseball, soccer, etc...) . He also gives points for kids who he sees working hard, which he determines.. He then adds up the points and ranks kids in their groups on who is working the hardest. I've personally never seen so many kids in the weight room after school, or supporting other team's games.

Looking at the workouts, they do what most people are doing in the Spring... High intensity weight training with a couple days outside. I believe they start 7 on 7's here this week or next.

53 minutes ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

Things are looking good here in the Smoke. Coach Smith has a very solid off-season program. He is instilling a competitive value within the kids in the program. Almost all of their non-weight training activities involve competing with kids within their groups. He also keeps the weight room open starting at 6:45 am and after school till almost 6 pm so track kids can hit the weights. (which is about an hour and a half longer than it used to be) He takes attendance of those who show up and marks points for the kids showing up to workouts and other sports games (baseball, soccer, etc...) . He also gives points for kids who he sees working hard, which he determines.. He then adds up the points and ranks kids in their groups on who is working the hardest. I've personally never seen so many kids in the weight room after school, or supporting other team's games.

Looking at the workouts, they do what most people are doing in the Spring... High intensity weight training with a couple days outside. I believe they start 7 on 7's here this week or next.

Sounds good.

Thanks for the update

Lots of attendance at the home games for Baseball and Softball across all school sport athletes, not just the football players.  Ive been hearing good things out of the weight room.  

Players who maybe didnt work out on the weights as they should be, depending on talent alone.

Good sign.  You have to continue to improve.  Get bigger, faster, smarter and then you can not falter in the end.  

Coach Smith has made some appearances as well.  He and Coach Thompson looked to be having a cordial conversation at the WOS vs Silsbee game last week.

New Era, New Ideas, New Approach.  Guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Off season just got better.  

"...@daveth89: Legacy junior Willie Jones III has transferred to Silsbee HS. Jones will be likely front-runner to take over for departed QB Dontre Thomas."

Let's go Tigers.

Saw him state he would be in school Monday. I also know of at least one more transfer myself.

6 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I don't know. This kid is the real deal. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play at the next level. 

Not as a quarterback... His film shows his exceptional running ability, but his throwing is subject. He can throw a ball far, but with little accuracy. He can't make the short, hit em in stride passes coach Smith likes to throw. Or at least that is what his film would suggest. We all remember Jeremy Johnson? He has twice the throwing ability that jones has, and he couldn't cut it as a quarterback... But that's jmo

30 minutes ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

Not as a quarterback... His film shows his exceptional running ability, but his throwing is subject. He can throw a ball far, but with little accuracy. He can't make the short, hit em in stride passes coach Smith likes to throw. Or at least that is what his film would suggest. We all remember Jeremy Johnson? He has twice the throwing ability that jones has, and he couldn't cut it as a quarterback... But that's jmo

Don't know about twice the ability.

BTW, Jeremy just finished playing QB in West Virginia at Charleston, setting school records. He will be entering the draft. Just had is pro day at West Virginia.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

It looks like the kids do not have as big a problem with the "new" offensive philosophy as some thought would happen.

Its definitely a different atmosphere watching the Freshman practice after school.  Dust hasn't settled of course, still no idea about complete coaching staff at start of season. 

Lots of talent.  Trust in the system and I believe these young men will grow together.

41 minutes ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

I have not seen Tre play yet but I can remember watching Jeremy play in high school and not being impressed by his throwing ability at the time.  Still did a great job as a high school qb.  Now I watched Jeremy's stats and a game or two this year and was impressed by how much he has improved. Great work and congratulations to him.  He also made a great impression in a draft/pro day in Houston a month or two ago.

As for Tre it will be great to have him back home.  I would say a starter, even at Legacy, has a good jump as far as a qb competition.

31 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

so I expect a deep playoff run since y'all are pulling all the missing pieces right ?

so is this a question for Silsbee or you?  It reads a little sarcastic....

Speak your mind. 

As a Silsbee Fan, I expect a deep run every year.  Silsbee is pretty consistent in making three rounds.