Pitchers 2016

2 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

Ryan Hendrix now at Texas A&M played in this district with that velo.  Watch out for little brother Austin, he's close to that now. Big Sandy should have another good year on the diamond.

Simply not possible.  Lil ol 2A athletes could only dream of throwing this fast (insert sarcasm here).

7 hours ago, Sport01 said:

Heard rumors of Hendrix hitting triple digits?

This is true he hit 100 and 101 at A&M scrimmage the other day, good chance he will get paid and could be on the fast track out of someone's bullpen when he gets drafted.  He is a hard worker, got to watch him do some of his off season stuff before he went back after Christmas 

What's funny about our little ol' 2A school's is that a few of these kids play on select teams with kids that go to 4 & 5A schools and compete just as well if not better and could go pitch at a big school,  after all they pitch against kids as well ...that go to bigger school's and they pull them up a chair quite often! Lol

I just get so tired of these people from bigger school's downing our kids that go to smaller school's!! They may want to come watch a little 2A school. They may leave a little impressed!!! 

Rant over!!!!

1 hour ago, PD126 said:

What's funny about our little ol' 2A school's is that a few of these kids play on select teams with kids that go to 4 & 5A schools and compete just as well if not better and could go pitch at a big school,  after all they pitch against kids as well ...that go to bigger school's and they pull them up a chair quite often! Lol

I just get so tired of these people from bigger school's downing our kids that go to smaller school's!! They may want to come watch a little 2A school. They may leave a little impressed!!! 

Rant over!!!!

School size doesn't matter as much for baseball, especially for a pitcher imo.

3 hours ago, spoonbill said:

School size doesn't matter as much for baseball, especially for a pitcher imo.

Rant over!!!!

On February 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM, BH11 said:

Bonnin is living at 88-90 , topped 92 last week, hit it  3 times, problem is he has never really pitched, always played the field and nobody knew he could throw that hard until recently.   Once he learns how to pitch, and only being a JR, could be very effective in the future for BH. 

I've often wondered if that isn't the best thing for these kids.  With as many games as they play now, the late bloomers may be the kids kids to step up in HS, while the 10 yr old studs never make it that far.

I've seen plenty of kids pitch in a league game on Tuesday, throw a few innings of select on Saturday, then pitch the championship game on Sunday.  Kids arms aren't designed to take that kind of abuse.  Not pitching until now was probably the best thing for him.  If he can get with a good pitching coach to fine tune his mechanics, he can be very successful.  

Maybe I'm just old and played before select baseball came around and parents started paying $75 an hour on pitching lessons for 8 year olds.  I do know that we faced major league pitchers every week in district which you don't see now.  

Well we have played select ball forever it feels like. If a kid is pitching and playing that much that's all on the PARENT for thinking little Johnny is going to be the next big thing. We have been lucky enough to have coaches that actually cared for their players and want them to go to the next level. Lessons at 8 isn't a bad thing. If your kid enjoys it why wouldn't you want him to learn the fundamentals early. Sure beats trying to fix him later after 5 years of some coach who has no clue what he's doing telling him to get his "elbow up" JS:)

I am a firm believer in the value of summer/select baseball, however, I do think it can be overdone. For example, when my son Zach was in 5th grade he was playing select and his team qualified for the World Series in Panama City Beach, FL. He ended up playing 63 games from March - July. Thats a lot for any kid let alone a 5th grader. I'm not a believer of year around any sport, kids have to be diverse and college coaches are looking at those kids more and more. Just my opinion.

On 2/13/2016 at 11:11 PM, PhatMack19 said:

I've often wondered if that isn't the best thing for these kids.  With as many games as they play now, the late bloomers may be the kids kids to step up in HS, while the 10 yr old studs never make it that far.

I've seen plenty of kids pitch in a league game on Tuesday, throw a few innings of select on Saturday, then pitch the championship game on Sunday.  Kids arms aren't designed to take that kind of abuse.  Not pitching until now was probably the best thing for him.  If he can get with a good pitching coach to fine tune his mechanics, he can be very successful.  

Maybe I'm just old and played before select baseball came around and parents started paying $75 an hour on pitching lessons for 8 year olds.  I do know that we faced major league pitchers every week in district which you don't see now.  

Select teams/leagues should be shut down during the high school baseball seasons. 

9 hours ago, GCMPats said:

Select teams/leagues should be shut down during the high school baseball seasons. 

They are shut down for HS age kids in the most part.  I was mostly speaking of younger kids and summer leagues.  

A kid last season had a sore arm and shut himself down for the HS season so he would be healthy for his summer select team.  Like I said, different times....

7 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

They are shut down for HS age kids in the most part.  I was mostly speaking of younger kids and summer leagues.  

A kid last season had a sore arm and shut himself down for the HS season so he would be healthy for his summer select team.  Like I said, different times....

Then that's on the parent. Play LL or select, not both.

Plus, every player needs an "off" season. 

One of the pitchers being left out is John McMillion from Jasper.  He has committed to Texas Tech but if he continues like he did against LCM he may skip Tech and go into the MLB.  Against LCM he was 90-96 and at the plate 3 for 3 with a double and home run.  This kid has the size at 6'2 245 lbs.