Silsbee falls to #1 Yates

Really, "a super great year?" I don't know whether to regurgitate or laugh at this comment, once again the inability of these young men to hit a jump shot consistently has proved to be their down fall again (along with free throws) and sugar coating it has to stop. They hear all season long how "quick and agrresive they are" but when they make it out of this weak district schedule to face height and a team not intimidated by their press their weakness of not being able to shoot the ball is magnified ten fold. I can't for the life of me figure out how you can consistently suit up 12 to 14 guys and only 2 of them can even come close to shooting a less than impressive 40% from the floor. Until the emphasis of the fundamentals; boxing out on EVERY rebound, closing out on penetrating guards properly, investing in the art of shooting free throws and learning how to SHOOT the ball in the mid-range area of the court Sam Houston will remain the last stop of the season for this program. I love an effective press but when it's the only thing working for you and the opposition is beating you in every other aspect of the game it always comes back to which team won the other catorgories and not just the turnover battle, WORK ON THAT JUMP SHOT TIGERS!

P.S.

This from a former Tiger who played in the press system and knows first hand how not developing a proficient jumpshot in your high school era can keep you on the end of the floor working with your college's training staff versus being on the other end where they are learning/running the offensive and defensive scheme's, still love those Tigers for life though!!!

[quote name="Tiger24of84" post="1380391" timestamp="1361970170"]
Really, "a super great year?" I don't know whether to regurgitate or laugh at this comment, once again the inability of these young men to hit a jump shot consistently has proved to be their down fall again (along with free throws) and sugar coating it has to stop. They hear all season long how "quick and agrresive they are" but when they make it out of this weak district schedule to face height and a team not intimidated by their press their weakness of not being able to shoot the ball is magnified ten fold. I can't for the life of me figure out how you can consistently suit up 12 to 14 guys and only 2 of them can even come close to shooting a less than impressive 40% from the floor. Until the emphasis of the fundamentals; boxing out on EVERY rebound, closing out on penetrating guards properly, investing in the art of shooting free throws and learning how to SHOOT the ball in the mid-range area of the court Sam Houston will remain the last stop of the season for this program. I love an effective press but when it's the only thing working for you and the opposition is beating you in every other aspect of the game it always comes back to which team won the other catorgories and not just the turnover battle, WORK ON THAT JUMP SHOT TIGERS!

P.S.

This from a former Tiger who played in the press system and knows first hand how not developing a proficient jumpshot in your high school era can keep you on the end of the floor working with your college's training staff versus being on the other end where they are learning/running the offensive and defensive scheme's, still love those Tigers for life though!!!
[/quote] Ouch!!    Very realistic post about the state of high school basketball.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1380467" timestamp="1361981252"]
Casual observation....  The Silsbee Coach made mention TWICE that Yates have/will have  'move ins'.  Interesting.... 8)
[/quote]

Not being rude, seriously just asking...where did you see that?  The story that the link took me to he doesn't even mention Yates at all, just how missing shots and free throws got them beat.

[quote name="tigerheart" post="1380476" timestamp="1361981950"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=109850.msg1380467#msg1380467 date=1361981252]
Casual observation....  The Silsbee Coach made mention TWICE that Yates have/will have  'move ins'.  Interesting.... 8)
[/quote]

Not being rude, seriously just asking...where did you see that?  The story that the link took me to he doesn't even mention Yates at all, just how missing shots and free throws got them beat.
[/quote] That article is in the sports page of the Beaumont 'Suprise' sports section. 

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380517" timestamp="1361985844"]
My question is why is everyone acting as if they didn't see this coming we they announced the re-alignment last February?  ::) ::)...I mean is anyone REALLY that surprised about last nights and Friday nights outcomes?
[/quote]

I do not see anyone acting surprise.

Only people that should be "surprised" is the the few "knowledgeable" ones who were calling for a 30-40 point win by Yates. ;) ::)

I saw three Silsbee Tiger games this season: the 1st Kashmere game @ Kashmere.  I saw the 2nd Kashmere game in Baytown, and I saw the game against Yates last night.  I saw Yates play twice, against HJ and then against Silsbee.  I mentioned all that because I seldom go to games.  Before this the last Silsbee game I went to was at Mt Belvieu against Cleveland I believe.  I mostly keep up with the Tigers via this forum.

The Tigers were very quick, a pressing, running,  scrapping team.  I hope they can replace those guards who are leaving.  I wish I could of watched Holmes and Elam play football. 

Yates?  Maybe I'll put more effort into watching them play next season.  After all I live in Houston. 

Johnson gymnasium is very nice.  They always play the region III finals there, but I never go because the games are on Saturdays, and that's a no no for practicing seventh day adventists.  That's a whole different topic there, but it factors in for me. 

I think I said it before, but if not great basketball season Silsbee Tigers.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380522" timestamp="1361986398"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109850.msg1380517#msg1380517 date=1361985844]
My question is why is everyone acting as if they didn't see this coming we they announced the re-alignment last February?  ::) ::)...I mean is anyone REALLY that surprised about last nights and Friday nights outcomes?
[/quote]

Only people that should be "surprised" is the the few "knowledgeable" ones who were calling for a 30-40 point win by Yates. ;) ::)
[/quote]
15, 20, 30....Its all being handled by double digits...easily... 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380535" timestamp="1361986803"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109850.msg1380522#msg1380522 date=1361986398]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109850.msg1380517#msg1380517 date=1361985844]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You yourself stated that if Silsbee tried to run with Yates they would lose by 40. ::)

Well, Silsbee ran with Yates all night. In fact, it was Yates who finally slowed the game down late 3rd and in the 4th to protect the lead. I think this was a great decision by Coach Wise. It had Silsbee spread out and took time off the clock to limit a comeback and also took advantage of isolating their big men inside.

You can speak with any JY fan, they will tell you there was nothing handled "easily" in that game last night. Tight game throughout.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380548" timestamp="1361987374"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109850.msg1380535#msg1380535 date=1361986803]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109850.msg1380522#msg1380522 date=1361986398]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You yourself stated that if Silsbee tried to run with Yates they would lose by 40. ::)

Well, Silsbee ran with Yates all night. In fact, it was Yates who finally slowed the game down late 3rd and in the 4th to protect the lead. I think this was a great decision by Coach Wise. It had Silsbee spread out and took time off the clock to limit a comeback and also took advantage of isolating their big men inside.

You can speak with any JY fan, they will tell you there was nothing handled "easily" in that game last night. Tight game throughout.
[/quote]
I am guilty as charged.  I was one of those that did not think Silsbee could run with Yates and it would be a mistake to do so.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the updates and how close the game was late in the game. 
I agree with 24of84, fundamentals lack in a lot of HS programs.  Free Throws, passing, and shooting.  Who doesnt like a good dunk, but when most kids playing HS basketball can't dunk, they need to work on the basics.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380535" timestamp="1361986803"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]You are delusional if you think the game was easy for Yates last night!!!
Silsbee was in only down by 3 with 3 minutes left, that is when the game changed. You keep telling yourself the game was easy enough times and you might actually start to believe it...Just keep stirring the pot, because that is what you do best..smh

Many of us Tigers thought it would take a perfect .  Others said we would get beat by 30 or more.  Even others said we had 'NO CHANCE'. These Tigers proved all to be wrong.  We definitely had a chance,  kept the margin respectable and our shooting kept us far from a perfect night.  It was a great job by a very good Tiger team against a very good Yates team.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1380599" timestamp="1361992665"]
How come these local teams trying to justify their local teams hung in there with with the once mighty JY? Yall lost- Ozen lost by three-still a lost.
[/quote]

I really do not see anyone disputing the loss.

Me personally, Yates is the better team, no doubt. But they are not the 800lb gorilla that "some in the know" are trying to make them out to be.

According to the "some" Silsbee and the likes shouldn't be able to stay on the same court as Yates. Even though it was a loss, JY fans admit this was in doubt till the very end.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1380599" timestamp="1361992665"]
How come these local teams trying to justify their local teams hung in there with with the once mighty JY? Yall lost- Ozen lost by three-still a lost.
[/quote]

You are correct a loss is a loss, but [b]some people[/b] said that Silsbee had absolutely no chance, and those [b]some people[/b] who think they are smarter than everyone else was wrong.

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1380602" timestamp="1361993212"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109850.msg1380599#msg1380599 date=1361992665]
[/quote]

You are correct a loss is a loss, but [b]some people[/b] said that Silsbee had absolutely no chance, and those [b]some people[/b] who think they are smarter than everyone else was wrong.
[/quote]Sure Silsbee had a chance. Any team can be beaten.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1380642" timestamp="1361999132"]
Last time I checked a 15 point loss, in which Silsbee never got closer than 4 in the 2nd half is NO CHANCE.  I admit Silsbee hung around longer than most with Yates, but in the end they had no chance of winning.  Yates is too deep.
[/quote]

I think the "no chance" comment is a bit extreme.

Game was tight throughout the entire game, even the 2nd half. Silsbee actually cut the lead to 3, 84-81, with 3 minutes left. But, Silsbee sort of panicked and starting putting up some three's that resulted into some long rebounds and snowbird layups for Yates in the closing 2 minutes. That is where the 15  point margin came from. Largest lead for Yates up to that point was a 10 point lead late in 3rd, 72-62.

I believe Silsbee had an opportunity to win, even late in game. I have had some JY fans tell me that themselves last night. Things just didn't fall for the Tigers. Yes, Yates had something to do about that as well.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1380642" timestamp="1361999132"]
Last time I checked a 15 point loss, in which Silsbee never got closer than 4 in the 2nd half is NO CHANCE.  I admit Silsbee hung around longer than most with Yates, but in the end they had no chance of winning.  Yates is too deep.
[/quote]
That is like saying HJ had no chance at beating Silsbee this year

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder