Willie Ray Smith Awards Banquet Tonight/Quirante wins it all!!! WOW!!!

no one is angry at the young man for winning the smith award...he deserves it...but both sides? come on?....and we all know its not pee wee football...and as AAW said...glenn roberts had more rushing tds and more rushing yards for an example...sorry...but im just scratching my head on this one....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EagleFan01
Just because he played well in high school doesn't mean lamar should sign him. He is average. Just because golden triangle sports reporters voted doesn't mean he is the best player. Kevin Shorter for one example is a better offensive player. Just my opinion. But congrats to him

[quote name="tupac7" post="1377011" timestamp="1361416967"]
I will admit I am biased...I like Montana as well as several other local talented athletes that I see in the area. I understand not all can get signed, but the BEST one in the area has me baffled.
[/quote]Despite what Vidor fans think Montana isn't and wasn't the best player in the area. Recruiters have told y'all what I've been saying all along. Should he have won the offensive award? I think 1881 yards on 192 carries and 33 tds says yes, and he was well deserving. He had good defensive numbers for his position but there was a player from Nederland, Ozen (not Tony Brown), and WOS who had better numbers for their positions even though they didn't stand out like Montana's tackle numbers or his 3 picks. I'm not going to name them because I'm sure that will take us on another tangent. Just take the emotion out of it and ask what position does he actually play? He wasn't a better pure qb than Mitchell and Lamar signed him as an athlete. He wasn't a better pure rb than Glenn Roberts and he went D2. He not a better pure lb than Garrett Dolan (BH) and all he could get was an upstart HBU offer. With his measurables he needs to stand out in something besides heart which the recruiters have clearly told you he doesn't. Great high school football player but don't let the numbers he ran up in a gimmick offense sway y'all into thinking he's the best player in the Triangle because the guys that base their mortgage payments on evaluating high school players have definitively told you otherwise. 

* I agree with whoever said he's going on a mission because he didn't get any worthwhile offers. BYU has the oldest team in the NCAA because of this but Quirante didn't even have a rivals page whereas the twins had one since they were sophomores and Raelon Singleton has one after one year of varsity football. Forget 20-4a, that's what the rest of the state thinks. 

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1377041" timestamp="1361421521"]
Just because he played well in high school doesn't mean lamar should sign him. He is average. Just because golden triangle sports reporters voted doesn't mean he is the best player. Kevin Shorter for one example is a better offensive player. Just my opinion. But congrats to him
[/quote]

EagleFan01...I support your Eagles and Shorter but to call him average you are wrong....He played against a lot of talent in his district and was deserving of this award....And if you didn't get to see him play you missed out, because the kid played with heart....

As for Lamar....I would want better him, because they are.....well you all know....

[quote name="cougar14" post="1377043" timestamp="1361421792"]
[quote author=tupac7 link=topic=109602.msg1377011#msg1377011 date=1361416967]
I will admit I am biased...I like Montana as well as several other local talented athletes that I see in the area. I understand not all can get signed, but the BEST one in the area has me baffled.
[/quote]Despite what Vidor fans think Montana isn't and wasn't the best player in the area. Recruiters have told y'all what I've been saying all along. Should he have won the offensive award? I think 1881 yards on 192 carries and 33 tds says yes, and he was well deserving. He had good defensive numbers for his position but there was a player from Nederland, Ozen (not Tony Brown), and WOS who had better numbers for their positions even though they didn't stand out like Montana's tackle numbers or his 3 picks. I'm not going to name them because I'm sure that will take us on another tangent. Just take the emotion out of it and ask what position does he actually play? He wasn't a better pure qb than Mitchell and Lamar signed him as an athlete. He wasn't a better pure rb than Glenn Roberts and he went D2. He not a better pure lb than Garrett Dolan (BH) and all he could get was an upstart HBU offer. With his measurables he needs to stand out in something besides heart which the recruiters have clearly told you he doesn't. Great high school football player but don't let the numbers he ran up in a gimmick offense sway y'all into thinking he's the best player in the Triangle because the guys that base their mortgage payments on evaluating high school players have definitively told you otherwise. 

* I agree with whoever said he's going on a mission because he didn't get any worthwhile offers. BYU has the oldest team in the NCAA because of this but Quirante didn't even have a rivals page whereas the twins had one since they were sophomores and Raelon Singleton has one after one year of varsity football. Forget 20-4a, that's what the rest of the state thinks.
[/quote]

I respect and believe you are entitled to your opinion....but don't forget that he beat your twins head up with a lot of help from a team that was not supposed to win. You can give all the rival recruiting crap you want...but they get it wrong most of the time...Go back and look at the transfer rate of all the big name 3,4,5 star athletes...The measurments on montana are not over whelming, but the bottom line is the guy is a football player along with kids from ned, central, ozen,lcm,png, and other 20-4a schools.  I think the twins are great and hope they do well, but I also think Montana as well as other 20-4a kids deserve a shot.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1377043" timestamp="1361421792"]

[/quote]

by the way the guys that base their mortgage payments as you say didn't win at barbers hill and was 0-20 at warren as head coaches... be careful what you say

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1377041" timestamp="1361421521"]
[/quote]

Dude  the district Montana played in id take him over Shorter. Kevin is nice matter of fact he is very nice and I respect Newton's program, but your hyping this kid up a lot when he didn't play anybody worth a dang this year imo. If he plays in Nederland's district his stats would be cut in half and Newton probably doesn't make the playoffs

[quote name="tupac7" post="1377049" timestamp="1361423098"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=109602.msg1377043#msg1377043 date=1361421792]

[/quote]

by the way the guys that base their mortgage payments as you say didn't win at barbers hill and was 0-20 at warren as head coaches... be careful what you say
[/quote]I'm not talking about high school coaches first of all, and I'm not talking about coaches from just Lamar. The whole NCAA missed on Montana? I think not, look at the signings I posted on  one of the other threads and you'll see the whole country from Alabama to Tarleton has been in the triangle recruiting. I guess they all missed on him. Never forget the 3,4,and 5 star transfer guys you're talking about transfer because there's other 3,4,and 5 star guys there. Those guys don't go to SFA or Lamar initially, and some that do transfer to those places is because you don't lose a year of eligibility when you transfer down a division. As far as beating the twins head up, watch out on that one. They averaged 10 ypc and gained 100 more yards that Vidor's offense. Don't mistake 3 yards and a cloud of dust ball control for anything other than it is. Aston dropped back and threw for well over 300 yards on Summer Creek,  Montana overthrew a wide open receiver by 20 yards and could barely make the ball spiral. Aston also has better wheels than Montana by the way and he'll play his senior season at 16 years old. If Vidor ran a conventional offense with MQ under the center the would get manhandled by most teams in the area and college recruiters know that, that's why he hasn't inked anywhere yet.

Cougar 14 you are still mad about that embarassment and blow out loss in the playoffs to us, get over it! Also you need to get your facts straight and know what your talking about before you run your mouth. I know his family very well and Quirante has many offers from many different good colleges, they are just making sure that they will hold his scholarship for when he gets back from his mission. Also he was very deserving of both awards because he put up some of the best stats and he played full time both sides of the ball and blew out your cougars! And stop talking about your twins that put up such "great numbers" against us. too bad the numbers couldnt have added up on the score board.

[quote name="Bleedblackandgokd" post="1377060" timestamp="1361427302"]
Cougar 14 you are still mad about that embarassment and blow out loss in the playoffs to us, get over it! Also you need to get your facts straight and know what your talking about before you run your mouth. I know his family very well and Quirante has many offers from many different good colleges, they are just making sure that they will hold his scholarship for when he gets back from his mission. Also he was very deserving of both awards because he put up some of the best stats and he played full time both sides of the ball and blew out your cougars! And stop talking about your twins that put up such "great numbers" against us. too bad the numbers couldnt have added up on the score board.
[/quote]Hey, that first round loss two years ago wasn't anywhere near as embarrassing as that 50+ I watched SC hang on y'all in Deer Park this year, but like I said you go ahead and keep talking about it because I doubt you have anymore playoffs wins in the near future. Playoff losses are part of going to the playoffs but I know y'all aren't far removed from the 2-8 and 3-7 years so you wouldn't know much about that. As far as stats, man you really shouldn't have said that. As a 15 year old junior this year Aston Walter (qb) put up 2893 total yards along with his brother Austin's (rb) 2262 total yards. That's over 5,000 yards they put up as babies. Quirante's 2218 would be third in that category. I do extensive research to make my posts and read recruiting boards very in depth. While he may have an offer from somewhere don't get on here saying they're "good" schools because I know differently as does that WOS coach. If they really wanted him he could sign his letter of intent and still go on a mission. There's just not may scholarships available for undersized lbs with mediocre measurables. So you keep talking about that 2011 playoff game while we go back to the playoffs for the 8th straight year in search of a regional crown.

Wow again you have no idea what you are talking about. You really should just not talk about anything in our area or about someone you have no idea who they are except for what you see in the football field. He isnt even searching to play linebacker, but i forgot you research everything and know what your talking about. And of course cant leave this thread alone and let a great football player and great KID celebrate a great moment in his life without posting something negative Like I said he is a family friend and has many offers from different good schools, but you know being the christian he and his family are they pray about their decisions and need to make sure its the right thing. He most likely will go to BYU because its a mormon school. The last time I looked BYU is a "good" school and has put out some good talent like Qb Steve Young, Fb Todd Christensen, DE Brett Keisel, Qb Jim McMahon, TE Dennis Pitta, WR Austin Collie just to name a few plus some good coaches, but im sure you knew that already because you research everything so thoroughly.

[quote name="Bleedblackandgold" post="1377091" timestamp="1361431025"]
Wow again you have no idea what you are talking about. You really should just not talk about anything in our area or about someone you have no idea who they are except for what you see in the football field. He isnt even searching to play linebacker, but i forgot you research everything and know what your talking about. And of course cant leave this thread alone and let a great football player and great KID celebrate a great moment in his life without posting something negative Like I said he is a family friend and has many offers from different good schools, but you know being the christian he and his family are they pray about their decisions and need to make sure its the right thing. He most likely will go to BYU because its a mormon school. The last time I looked BYU is a "good" school and has put out some good talent like Qb Steve Young, Fb Todd Christensen, DE Brett Keisel, Qb Jim McMahon, TE Dennis Pitta, WR Austin Collie just to name a few plus some good coaches, but im sure you knew that already because you research everything so thoroughly.
[/quote]Extremely thoroughly, I've looked at BYU's recruiting page and mentions on their boards and have seen nothing. Trying to walk on at BYU after completing his mission is very different than an offer but you might not know that since you probably didn't play in college. When he VISITED BYU they would OFFER him when he visited as a junior like they did these kids which some will go on missions. Great high school player and sounds like a great kid, take the black and gold blinders off and look at the situation objectively. You're the one who looks like he doesn't know what he's talking about. My KID is the same height as MQ and probably faster, too bad my little cougar14 is only in the 6th grade, otherwise I might be hiding a secret offer.   

http://rivals.yahoo.com/byu/football/recruiting/commitments/2013
* Funny though, BYU offered but McNeese wouldn't. Go figure. I'm done though, these Dayton boys are in here giving it to me for even going back and forth with you.

The Crosby fan is right even though I feel like he is being a hater. Montana doesn't have and offer. Of course with how good a player he is people will say he does to defend the kid. But the BYU deal was a walk on situation his parents can more then afford it from what im told. And he's not and elite enough player to request a school holds his scholarship for two years while he goes on a mission. Some people need to stop being blinded fans and think logically. And do some research, the elite players who do decide they are going on these missions and have a understanding with the coach and University still sign scholarship papers their senior year.

With that being said Ray Woodard is and idiot I would have signed this kid!

This is exactly why I don't come on this site hardly anymore. All the kids you should be honored an proud of being nominated and then becoming a finalist. That is a great accomplishment.
  The grown men who belittle a fine young man and talk him down after a  outstanding night should be ashamed.
If you don't agree with the nominees, the finalist, or the winner then that is your opinion and everyone has one. But why can't some people just say Good Job guys, yall all should be proud what a great achievement ?
  How hard is that?  I sure hope Montana doesn't come on here and see a bunch of grown men knocking him when half of them haven't seen him play.
If this was your child how would you feel coming on a website and seeing your kid being talked about by a bunch of men? And yes i said a kid! 17..
To all the kids congrats. To Montana you don't read this garbage. What a awesome night for you and keep proving people wrong. Coach Mathews preaches about being the underdog, and fighting when no one else thinks you have a chance. That's the biggest thrill of all watching you do something that you, your team,coaches and family knew you could do ,when everyone doubted you.
  Come August please pick us last and tell us we don't have a chance.. It just motivates the kids. Keep sipping on that "Hatorade."

Congratulations to this kid!  What an outstanding ball player, leader and all around young man.

Haters gonna hate.  You just have to rise above and keep doing what you are doing. Let your voice be heard on the field. 

The Pirates will miss this kid - but I am hoping there will be other Pirates coming up through the ranks that will keep Vidor competitive in football in 20-4A.  The tougher all the teams are in district, the better each of our teams get from being tested week after week.