Willie Ray Smith Awards Banquet Tonight/Quirante wins it all!!! WOW!!!

Guest EagleFan01
I saw him play three times last season and again I say he is an average at best high school football player. Just because he wins some award doesn't mean Lamar should waste a an offer for him. I'm sticking to my opinions and I think there is a lot of better players in southeast texas its all politics.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="1377046" timestamp="1361422496"]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=109602.msg1377041#msg1377041 date=1361421521]
Just because he played well in high school doesn't mean lamar should sign him. He is average. Just because golden triangle sports reporters voted doesn't mean he is the best player. Kevin Shorter for one example is a better offensive player. Just my opinion. But congrats to him
[/quote]

EagleFan01...I support your Eagles and Shorter but to call him average you are wrong....He played against a lot of talent in his district and was deserving of this award....And if you didn't get to see him play you missed out, because the kid played with heart....

As for Lamar....I would want better him, because they are.....well you all know....
[/quote]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="mytwocents" post="1377172" timestamp="1361459805"]
Like I said before. Haters gonna hate. Don't listen to em Montana. Keep doing what your doing and prove em wrong.
[/quote]

Im not hating on the kid just saying there is no reason he should win both the offensive and defensive award. There are better players than him on both sides of the ball. But like I said in an earlier post Congrats to him. I just don't think him winning some award should mean that Lamar should offer him.

Congratulations Montana, you really deserve it. Carried the team to the playoffs two years straight. Playing QB and middle linebacker, who does this? I really wish Lamar could get this kid, I know I for one would love to watch him play out his college career locally, and I'm sure there are many others here in SETX who would pay to see that. Come on Lamar Cardinals you would instantly gain more fans and sell more tickets, but you wouldn't want to do that huh.

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1377167" timestamp="1361459084"]
I saw him play three times last season and again I say he is an average at best high school football player. Just because he wins some award doesn't mean Lamar should waste a an offer for him. I'm sticking to my opinions and I think there is a lot of better players in southeast texas its all politics.

[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=109602.msg1377046#msg1377046 date=1361422496]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=109602.msg1377041#msg1377041 date=1361421521]
Just because he played well in high school doesn't mean lamar should sign him. He is average. Just because golden triangle sports reporters voted doesn't mean he is the best player. Kevin Shorter for one example is a better offensive player. Just my opinion. But congrats to him
[/quote]

EagleFan01...I support your Eagles and Shorter but to call him average you are wrong....He played against a lot of talent in his district and was deserving of this award....And if you didn't get to see him play you missed out, because the kid played with heart....

As for Lamar....I would want better him, because they are.....well you all know....
[/quote]
[/quote]

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. Forget the Willie Ray Smith awards, let's talk about being all State both ways!!! In 4A!!! I guess the Associated Press is wrong too.

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="piratefan" post="1377187" timestamp="1361461203"]
Eagle fan.. what if your kid got some award n the band or the debate team.and I came on here and talked about how he shouldn't have won first prize in the tap dance show?. Bow would u feel?
[/quote]

I wouldn't care either way. My take is people are entitled to there opinion and they can say what they want. Someone thinking my child shouldn't of won an award would not hurt my feelings at all. I didn't say he didn't deserve the award I said there were better players in SETX better than him and he should not of won it on both sides of the ball.

No one will take this award serious again. Maybe that is the plan. Why isn't LSU or UT knocking on this kids door? Reminds me of that lone college kid being on the first dream team.

The media voting....I guess it made for a great inspirational story for a guy from Vidor winning it all in the face of all this great talent in SETX. The media is corrupt.

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="piratefan" post="1377217" timestamp="1361464106"]
This place is a joke. Bashing 17 year old kid for receiving an award.
[/quote]

I am not really bashing the kid per say I am more upset with the media for this.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1377202" timestamp="1361462800"]
This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. Forget the Willie Ray Smith awards, [b]let's talk about being all State both ways!!! In 4A!!! I guess the Associated Press is wrong too.[/b][/quote]
For the record I have said from day one he had the best HS football season overall in this area this year and I figured he'd win one of the awards out of respect for this fact, but I was shocked he won both awards. Not so much that HE won the awards, but that they voted him to win both awards. Just didn't think they would do it. And your argumment lost merit when you asked if the AP got it wrong....They get it wrong more than any one group of voters in the state. Not that they got it wrong with Montana, just I wouldn't use the AP as the benchmark.  ;D

It will be very interesting to see where this team goes next year without Montana. Very Interesting.

[quote name="badndn" post="1377330" timestamp="1361477213"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=109602.msg1377202#msg1377202 date=1361462800]
This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen. Forget the Willie Ray Smith awards, [b]let's talk about being all State both ways!!! In 4A!!! I guess the Associated Press is wrong too.[/b][/quote]
For the record I have said from day one he had the best HS football season overall in this area this year and I figured he'd win one of the awards out of respect for this fact, but I was shocked he won both awards. Not so much that HE won the awards, but that they voted him to win both awards. Just didn't think they would do it. And your argumment lost merit when you asked if the AP got it wrong....They get it wrong more than any one group of voters in the state. Not that they got it wrong with Montana, just I wouldn't use the AP as the benchmark.  ;D

It will be very interesting to see where this team goes next year without Montana. Very Interesting.
[/quote]

No offense badndn but the AP / Coaches vote on all state, wrong or not. Montana was second team all state defense, honorable mention on offense. I didn't see another player across Texas that acheived that recognition. Over 1800 yards of offense, 36 touchdowns and too many bone crunching tackles to mention.  Just sayin'.

You have to be very careful when considering the AP as a viable source in regards to all state.

It wasn't that long ago that Nederland's Dravanti Johnson was named 4A Defensive Player of Year for the entire state yet he was only 2nd team all district voted on by the coaches who actually saw him play every week.

Not saying Montana didn't deserve those honors, but the AP can be very skewed.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1377403" timestamp="1361483881"]
You have to be very careful when considering the AP as a viable source in regards to all state.

It wasn't that long ago that Nederland's Dravanti Johnson was named 4A Defensive Player of Year for the entire state yet he was only 2nd team all district voted on by the coaches who actually saw him play every week.

Not saying Montana didn't deserve those honors, but the AP can be very skewed.
[/quote] I dont trust anything the AP does anymore, their polls sealed it for me after this year.

Montana is hands down the best overall football player in the area. But a lot of Vidor fans are going off his stats. Have y'all ever thought about how he had no really good players along him so he did all the work. If he were to play at Ned he would not have won either award. I thought Stampley was the best lb in the district. He stood out with a outstanding supporting class. Stamp's stats were still up their with Couron (LU) Washington (offers from UT OU and A&M) Malveaux and Pryor (Offers) Wood (colleges have shown interest) Taylor Kimler and Seay taking away many opportunities to make plays. I'm not trying to bring down Q but stats should not be what matters. No doubt he was the best Offensive player in the district, but pure defender? Idk.. just my opinion.

Congrats to Montanna, he deserves every award given to him. He truly led his team to victories on both sides of the ball with heart and numbers. He did not choose to play at these other schools Ned, New, etc. He chose Vidor and won both awards- well deserved, No one can truly say what he could have done at these other schools, because the fact is he did not play there.  I truly hope the future winners of this award do not have anyone with better numbers than them, because according to post on here they will not would have deserved to win. 

[quote name="jkbtjc53" post="1377106" timestamp="1361450660"]
The Crosby fan is right even though I feel like he is being a hater. Montana doesn't have and offer. Of course with how good a player he is people will say he does to defend the kid. But the BYU deal was a walk on situation his parents can more then afford it from what im told. And he's not and elite enough player to request a school holds his scholarship for two years while he goes on a mission. Some people need to stop being blinded fans and think logically. And do some research, the elite players who do decide they are going on these missions and have a understanding with the coach and University still sign scholarship papers their senior year.

With that being said Ray Woodard is and idiot I would have signed this kid!
[/quote]Thanks Coach. I'm not being a hater either. I would say the same thing even if we didn't lose to them two years ago. Ask the BH fans what I said about Denny and he's a better athlete. My son will be playing 7th grade ball for Crosby next year and when he's a senior I wouldn't call evaluating him criticism. He'll read it for motivation. That's the issue with some of these kids now, people that don't know the game tell them how great they are when that's not always the case so when it comes down to the nut-cutting your left wondering what happened when the people that do it for a living say otherwise. I'm sorry if you think I was bashing him but I was very direct on Raelon Singleton too when he was having his troubles early in the year. Some people IM me and say "thanks for being honest" while other say "you're an idiot" with no substance to support it. I'm truly sorry if you think I was bashing but to everybody on this board I ask now to please state your opinions when the next Cougar14 is is under the lights in a few years. I guarantee y'all will be a lot nicer than me.

Vidor kids never won a WRS award. The media pissed on the credibility of the WRS award to create a feel good story. A slap in the face to that super WOS defense and powerhouse Nederland offense. The WRS award is for kids with the potential to be the next Jamal Charles or Earl Thomas. What's next? A High Island kid wins because daddy caught a fish at the beach. This is not this kids fault, the media should find the nearest dumpster and jump in. They ruined a tradition.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1377845" timestamp="1361549332"]
Vidor kids never won a WRS award. The media pissed on the credibility of the WRS award to create a feel good story. A slap in the face to that super WOS defense and powerhouse Nederland offense. The WRS award is for kids with the potential to be the next Jamal Charles or Earl Thomas. What's next? A High Island kid wins because daddy caught a fish at the beach. This is not this kids fault, the media should find the nearest dumpster and jump in. They ruined a tradition.
[/quote]
Nederland Powerhouse Offense???
I think you meant Deffense.

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="purpleeagle" post="1377392" timestamp="1361482899"]
I hope Eaglefan01 is a Woodville Eagle and Not from Newton, I would hate to think we had someone from Newton making idiotic comments like he is making.
[/quote]

What kind of idiotic comments did I make? I was just stating my opinion am I not entitled to my opinion is this not what this forum is for? I thought forum where a place to make an opinion.

[quote name="badndn" post="1377866" timestamp="1361550888"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=109602.msg1377845#msg1377845 date=1361549332]
[/quote]
Nederland Powerhouse Offense???
I think you meant Deffense.
[/quote]

I was scratching my head on that one to.