Opening at Hardin-Jefferson

Chasmack

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Coach Martel. A little surprised to see him get a better head coaching job after struggling to produce wins the past few seasons at H-J but sounds like a situation where they are already familiar with him from him having coached in the district before and know he is a quality coach and person.

Remember wins and losses are not always a good indication of a coaches ability. Did Lovie Smith all of a sudden get dumb.  No his talent level wasn't up to some of his competition.  Not saying that this was the case with Coach Martel, but remember hj has six or seven playoff appearances in history with three in a row at one point and one with Martel as the boss.  He certainly turned it around this year and he leaves it heading in the right direction.

I really hope that "some" hawk fans truly realize what they are losing. I hope those same fans realize how hard they have made his life and his families lives the last few years.  David Martel is a member of a dying breed of coaches.  That man can coach just about anything and cares about everything.  Now coaches are too specialized and only care about one, sometimes two sports.  He didn't treat his days at HJ like he was gathering a paycheck.  His heart was truly here and in it at all times.  I can only imagine the struggle he has been dealing with is his decision making these past few weeks.  Best of Luck David and also the your family and congrats. YOU WILL BE MISSED BY ALL!

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="birdmascot" post="1367123" timestamp="1359210126"]
I really hope that "some" hawk fans truly realize what they are losing. I hope those same fans realize how hard they have made his life and his families lives the last few years.  David Martel is a member of a dying breed of coaches.  That man can coach just about anything and cares about everything.  Now coaches are too specialized and only care about one, sometimes two sports.  He didn't treat his days at HJ like he was gathering a paycheck.  His heart was truly here and in it at all times.  I can only imagine the struggle he has been dealing with is his decision making these past few weeks.  Best of Luck David and also the your family and congrats. YOU WILL BE MISSED BY ALL!
[/quote]

He did a very good job, with what he had to work with.
Tough place to win consistantly in football.

Congrats to Coach Martel on his job change.

This is stupid.... What he had to work with???? Thats crap!!!!! David Martel is a great AD. He was at every event he could fit into a day. Great family man, great kids, great role model, awesome track coach,  poor judge of football talent. Our youth program has been thriving for 12 or 13 years now. Playoffs every year in every division. I know there are lots of variables that come into play, but the athletes are here. Just started an off season workout program this past year, where has it been????? You will never have a successful football program without a serious off-season program. This is the problem. Too many people in this community are more concerned with who gets to play and how much they get to play just like little league. The program did better this year because of the athletes that are coming up. Nothing changed accept the kids. With Martel still at the helm, we would probably win two or three more district games this next year. Mark my words, if we get a defensive minded guy in here with no ties to this community, and changes our offense to some type of power, there's no telling how far these boys will go. It isnt the kids, it never has been... Great coaches + serious program = a successful program.. HJ's rogram has not been successful for 12 or 13 years now... Its time for a change and I welcome it...

[quote name="bedelmon" post="1367604" timestamp="1359408753"]
This is stupid.... What he had to work with???? Thats crap!!!!! David Martel is a great AD. He was at every event he could fit into a day. Great family man, great kids, great role model, awesome track coach,  poor judge of football talent. Our youth program has been thriving for 12 or 13 years now. Playoffs every year in every division. I know there are lots of variables that come into play, but the athletes are here. Just started an off season workout program this past year, where has it been????? You will never have a successful football program without a serious off-season program. This is the problem. Too many people in this community are more concerned with who gets to play and how much they get to play just like little league. The program did better this year because of the athletes that are coming up. Nothing changed accept the kids. With Martel still at the helm, we would probably win two or three more district games this next year. Mark my words, if we get a defensive minded guy in here with no ties to this community, and changes our offense to some type of power, there's no telling how far these boys will go. It isnt the kids, it never has been... Great coaches + serious program = a successful program.. HJ's rogram has not been successful for 12 or 13 years now... Its time for a change and I welcome it...
[/quote]
Before you ascend let me try to instill some "calm down" therapy.  You are saying that "there's no telling how far these boys
will go."  I'll tell you now, that as long as H-J is in the district with WO-S you will not beat them.  And the same might be true about Silsbee, but I'm not as convinced about that.  So, there is SOME telling how far those boys will go.  Maybe as high as second place in football, or third place in football, or fourth place in football which would mean playoffs.  Now, that's a pretty good accomplishment considering recent football history.  Just chill a little bit, bedelmon and enjoy it when it happens. 8)

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1367604" timestamp="1359408753"]
[b]This is stupid.... What he had to work with???? Thats crap[/b]!!!!! David Martel is a great AD. He was at every event he could fit into a day. Great family man, great kids, great role model, awesome track coach,  poor judge of football talent. [b]Our youth program has been thriving for 12 or 13 years now. Playoffs every year in every division[/b]. I know there are lots of variables that come into play, but the athletes are here. Just started an off season workout program this past year, where has it been????? You will never have a successful football program without a serious off-season program. This is the problem. Too many people in this community are more concerned with who gets to play and how much they get to play just like little league. The program did better this year because of the athletes that are coming up. Nothing changed accept the kids. With Martel still at the helm, we would probably win two or three more district games this next year. Mark my words, if we get a defensive minded guy in here with no ties to this community, and changes our offense to some type of power, there's no telling how far these boys will go. It isnt the kids, it never has been... Great coaches + serious program = a successful program.. HJ's rogram has not been successful for 12 or 13 years now... Its time for a change and I welcome it...
[/quote]

The only thing wrong with your theory about youth football. You can not compare it to high school football.
Kids develop at different stages. Who cares about what happened in 11 and 12 yr old pee wee football.

HJ has a long way to go before they can consistantly compete for a playoff spot.
Sounds to me y'all have a parent problem.
Yes, he did the best he could with what he had to work with!!

If Liberty doesn't hire Toby Foreman, this would be a great spot for him.  Actually this program is probably in better shape than Liberty's.  They'd be happy to get a coach of Toby's caliber and Toby will be glad to finally get a shot.  Seems like a match made in heaven.  The first school that gives Foreman a chance will be very very happy they did!

[quote name="Scatright" post="1367670" timestamp="1359426856"]
If Liberty doesn't hire Toby Foreman, this would be a great spot for him.  Actually this program is probably in better shape than Liberty's.  They'd be happy to get a coach of Toby's caliber and Toby will be glad to finally get a shot.  Seems like a match made in heaven.  The first school that gives Foreman a chance will be very very happy they did!
[/quote] ahhhhhh, i didnt think about that. Good choice!  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33