Opening at Hardin-Jefferson

Chasmack

Hey Fran, I'm not belly aching at all, you guys get on here and blame the kids just like our Ex-AD, I disagree. I hope our future AD doesnt read this and say "I sure dont want this HJ job, I got nothing to work with"...Mical is right, if our basketball program was in the same shape as our football program, Lazeek would be singing a different tune. This is the thanks you get for being an HJ Football fan? Looks like to me Lazeek is part of the problem. A community that only cares about basketball? I dont buy it...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LOKI" post="1368410" timestamp="1359636616"]
Any word on the coaches who have put there name in the hat yet?
[/quote]
The Administration is still trying to decide on an Interim AD since David's last day is next Friday (1/8/2013).  I know of 2 on his staff who will be throwing their hats in the ring to replace him.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368415" timestamp="1359639070"]
Hey Fran, I'm not belly aching at all, you guys get on here and blame the kids just like our Ex-AD, I disagree. I hope our future AD doesnt read this and say "I sure dont want this HJ job, I got nothing to work with"...Mical is right, if our basketball program was in the same shape as our football program, Lazeek would be singing a different tune. This is the thanks you get for being an HJ Football fan? Looks like to me Lazeek is part of the problem. A community that only cares about basketball? I dont buy it...
[/quote]

Even the coach's on the old coach website are saying stay away from HJ,, because it is a basketball school first and too many [b]parents sticking their nose in where it does not belong[/b].  ;D ;D

I am not blaming the kids, I wish them nothing but success except when they play Silsbee.
You are the one who thinks he knows whats best for HJ.

When your 2 boys graduate, will you still go to all the practices and tell the new AD who ever it may be they are [b]Wrong[/b] and will you stick up for all the kids who you believe should be starting, just like you did for your 2 sons? ;D

For your information both of my sons do start. My boys are football players to the BONE! My oldest was the starting defensive end as a Freshman and this year as a sophmore. My youngest started both ways on the JV this year as a freshman. After my sons graduate, Ill be too busy going to watch them play at a higher level so no I will not go to every practice like i have in the past. And I would also like to know your background on football and how you got to be sooooooo kowledgable?

I think everyone really knows what the issues are at HJ.  It is written all over this thread!!!!!

And Mical and Barry you are right, if the HJ basketball struggled I would not like it.  But it is not.  It has easily one of the best coaching staffs in the state of Texas, and is one of the best programs in 3A year in and year out!!!!

The reason I only go to a few HJ football games a year is because of people that holler from the stands, do this, do that.  If you know so much get your teaching certificate, get a coaching job and prove how good you are.  My guess is that you will fail miserably!!!

Coach Martel is a great coach, great AD and an even better person.  And from a HJ alum, HJ fan and the brother in law of a HJ coach and the spouse of an HJ coach it is people like you that run off great coaches.  How long until you start dogging the new coach???

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368428" timestamp="1359641864"]
For your information both of my sons do start. My boys are football players to the BONE! My oldest was the starting defensive end as a Freshman and this year as a sophmore. My youngest started both ways on the JV this year as a freshman. After my sons graduate, Ill be too busy going to watch them play at a higher level so no I will not go to every practice like i have in the past. And I would also like to know your background on football  and how you got to be sooooooo kowledgable?
[/quote]

I played the game, probably not to the level you seemed to have. Have 2 sons also playing 1 at the college level and 1 at HS Level. One of my best friends is a AD/HC.

Oh I almost forgot, I coached Pee Wee football, that makes me highly qualified ;D ;D

Just because I have some knowledge does that give me the right to tell a HC they are "Wrong?" Let me answer NO!!! it does not.

If the HJ staff would just listen to you, they would have a couple of state championship banners by now.

Face it Edelmon!! Coach's do not listen to you or me for that matter. The difference between you and I are, you call out coach's on a public forum and I do not. I let coach's coach and you do not.

If I told my AD/HC friend that he was wrong and questioned his methods, he would tell me to go to he!!, that is what Coach Martel should have told you a looonnnggg time ago.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1368436" timestamp="1359643524"]
I think everyone really knows what the issues are at HJ.  It is written all over this thread!!!!!

And Mical and Barry you are right, if the HJ basketball struggled I would not like it.  But it is not.  It has easily one of the best coaching staffs in the state of Texas, and is one of the best programs in 3A year in and year out!!!!

The reason I only go to a few HJ football games a year is because of people that holler from the stands, do this, do that.  If you know so much get your teaching certificate, get a coaching job and prove how good you are.  My guess is that you will fail miserably!!!

Coach Martel is a great coach, great AD and an even better person.  And from a HJ alum, HJ fan and the brother in law of a HJ coach and the spouse of an HJ coach it is people like you that run off great coaches.  How long until you start dogging the new coach???
[/quote]

Great post!!!

[quote name="Chasmack" post="1368416" timestamp="1359639289"]
[quote author=LOKI link=topic=108568.msg1368410#msg1368410 date=1359636616]
Any word on the coaches who have put there name in the hat yet?
[/quote]
The Administration is still trying to decide on an Interim AD since David's last day is next Friday (1/8/2013).  I know of 2 on his staff who will be throwing their hats in the ring to replace him.
[/quote]Ok. Thanks.

Ok, I see the issue here.... Lazeek your one of those HJ folks that doesnt want any outsiders coming in. No I did not got to HJ high school nor did my wife. I did not know Coach Martel before he became the AD. For the record, I think Martel is a great AD and track coach. He has been nothing but fair to my boys. There has been some serious issues take place within this football program over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Issues that in my opinion, he could have nipped in the bud and been done with but he didnt. Negativity in the stands, in the locker room, in the hallways and on the practice field and it slithered through like a snake.  How do you kill a snake? You cut the head off. Football is a tough sport and having people not happy with a loosing program goes with the territory of being an AD/FB coach. Go back and read my post, what have I really said? Our football program has been the laughing stock in South East Texas for long enough. Excuse me for not agreeing with the basketball mentality. Im not the dad that stands behind the locker room yelling at the coaches, I set an appointment with him and sat down for over an hour voicing my concerns and listening to his answers and philosophy. I know what I asked him and I know what his answers were. The problems with our football program do not stem from the kids. I havent bashed anyone, just questioned their ability to judge football talent. If Silsbee or WOS's football program was in the sme position as ours, your post would be different. Lazeek, I dont know who you are because i dont go to the basketball games and sounds like you dont go to the football games.  I would love to sit down face to face and have a conversation with you though. We have a thriving basketball program, we took measures and turned our baseball program around, great golf and soccer program, even track and your gonna tell me we dont have the athletes to at least compete on a football field?  For three straight years? I will never agree with that. If I have to come on here an eat crow next season, i will but I dont think our program could get any worse than it was the last three years.... We do have some good assistants that i hope get to keep their jobs. Fogo is top notch in my book. He gets in my boys ass's and they respect him for it. I thought that was the goal of being a football coach. Being able to get a kid to go to battle for you at all cost. Martel will probably do great at Hastings because he didnt graduate with half of the student's parents like Lazeek...

Has nothing to do with whether you went to HJ or not.  And IMO HJ will not hire from within.  They will find a proven coach who wants to take a team over and rebuild it.  I have friends and family that coach at HJ in more than one sport. 

You say that HJ has tons of talent.  Correct?  So in district 21-3A, which teams does HJ have more talent then?

I dont know that we have more talent than any of them but I do know we run a Spread offense that you have to be able run as well as pass and is more designed for kids with speed. We are not going to out run WOS or Silsbee. When we played WOS this year, we practiced what is called a "jumbo" package all the week before the game. Most all of each practice that week was working on this offense. We didnt use it until the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. We moved the ball 60 yards in about 4 plays. Our fullbacks were blowing WOS's smaller defensive line 5 to 6 yards off the ball. We wasted a whole week working on something that we didnt even use untill it was too late. On that same drive where we moved the ball easily down the field we decided to pull the jumbo package off the field and go back to our same old same ol and the next play threw an int in te endzone that went back for 100+. And the fullback that was opening the holes on that drive never saw the backfield again. We have the personell to run a power offense and should have 8 in the box on defense. Not one team beat us passing, they ran it down our throats. Inside the tackles. How does HJ combat that? We add another linebacker to guarantee that the opposing team can still hit a gap and get 5 or 6 each play. I pray we get a coach in here that has something to prove and has some football savy. Look at Orangefield, they have the same type of athletes we do and they are competitive every year because they know what the have and they utilize it. Thats all we need to do, evaluate our talent level and utilize what we do have. We dont have the speed to run a spread offense, we do have the kids to run a power and mis-direction offense. Defensively we need to change out some positions and get some kids off the bench. All you have to do is watch a little film. The problems stick out like a sore thumb...

[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368478" timestamp="1359648432"]
I dont know that we have more talent than any of them but I do know we run a Spread offense that you have to be able run as well as pass and is more designed for kids with speed. We are not going to out run WOS or Silsbee. When we played WOS this year, we practiced what is called a "jumbo" package all the week before the game. Most all of each practice that week was working on this offense. We didnt use it until the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter. We moved the ball 60 yards in about 4 plays. Our fullbacks were blowing WOS's smaller defensive line 5 to 6 yards off the ball. We wasted a whole week working on something that we didnt even use untill it was too late. On that same drive where we moved the ball easily down the field we decided to pull the jumbo package off the field and go back to our same old same ol and the next play threw an int in te endzone that went back for 100+. And the fullback that was opening the holes on that drive never saw the backfield again. We have the personell to run a power offense and should have 8 in the box on defense. Not one team beat us passing, they ran it down our throats. Inside the tackles. How does HJ combat that? We add another linebacker to guarantee that the opposing team can still hit a gap and get 5 or 6 each play. I pray we get a coach in here that has something to prove and has some football savy. Look at Orangefield, they have the same type of athletes we do and they are competitive every year because they know what the have and they utilize it. Thats all we need to do, evaluate our talent level and utilize what we do have. We dont have the speed to run a spread offense, we do have the kids to run a power and mis-direction offense. Defensively we need to change out some positions and get some kids off the bench. All you have to do is watch a little film. The problems stick out like a sore thumb...
[/quote]

WOS' JV defense was probably in by that time and the game was too far out of hand. This seems like alot of coaching from the bleachers and a very "simplistic" way of thinking from the outside looking in. You have no idea about coaching at a varsity level and what it takes to be successful you should be a supportive parent and not have meetings with head coaches behind closed doors because they most of the time will not take what you say to heart and just see you as a disgruntled parent. Also is give your boys a negative attitude towards the head coach which then spreads throughout the team. Just support your team and the decisions made by the coaching staff and be a part of the solution not the problem.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368456" timestamp="1359646070"]
Ok, I see the issue here.... Lazeek your one of those HJ folks that doesnt want any outsiders coming in. No I did not got to HJ high school nor did my wife. I did not know Coach Martel before he became the AD. For the record, I think Martel is a great AD and track coach. He has been nothing but fair to my boys. There has been some serious issues take place within this football program over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Issues that in my opinion, he could have nipped in the bud and been done with but he didnt. Negativity in the stands, in the locker room, in the hallways and on the practice field and it slithered through like a snake.  How do you kill a snake? You cut the head off. Football is a tough sport and having people not happy with a loosing program goes with the territory of being an AD/FB coach. Go back and read my post, what have I really said? Our football program has been the laughing stock in South East Texas for long enough. [b]Excuse me for not agreeing with the basketball mentality[/b]. Im not the dad that stands behind the locker room yelling at the coaches, I set an appointment with him and sat down for over an hour voicing my concerns and listening to his answers and philosophy. I know what I asked him and I know what his answers were. The problems with our football program do not stem from the kids. I havent bashed anyone, just questioned their ability to judge football talent. If Silsbee or WOS's football program was in the sme position as ours, your post would be different. Lazeek, I dont know who you are because i dont go to the basketball games and sounds like you dont go to the football games.  I would love to sit down face to face and have a conversation with you though. We have a thriving basketball program, we took measures and turned our baseball program around, great golf and soccer program, even track and your gonna tell me we dont have the athletes to at least compete on a football field?  For three straight years? I will never agree with that. If I have to come on here an eat crow next season, i will but I dont think our program could get any worse than it was the last three years.... We do have some good assistants that i hope get to keep their jobs. Fogo is top notch in my book. He gets in my boys ass's and they respect him for it. I thought that was the goal of being a football coach. Being able to get a kid to go to battle for you at all cost. Martel will probably do great at Hastings because he didnt graduate with half of the student's parents like Lazeek...
[/quote]

Seems to me the HJ basketball mentality is putting state championship hardware in the trophy case.

Like Lazeek said, Get your teaching certification and apply for the HC/AD job and see what it is like.

Please don't tell me you know what it is like, since you coached Pee Wee football.

Silsbee passed for 200 yards and 2 of the 4 TD's came through the air against HJ. I would say HJ got beat in the passing game that night.

Total yards of offense in that game:

Silsbee        442
HJ                143

Silsbee had 10 penalties for 120 yards in that game as well.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1368499" timestamp="1359650786"]
Silsbee passed for 200 yards and 2 of the 4 TD's came through the air against HJ. I would say HJ got beat in the passing game that night.

Total yards of offense in that game:

Silsbee        442
HJ                143

Silsbee had 10 penalties for 120 yards in that game as well.
[/quote]

There is no convincing him AAW. Edelmon knows what is best for HJ and the coach's need to except that fact.

You guys are soooooooo smart. Get a degree and coach? Last time I checked there were no such classes as "Football 101" on any college campus. When I say Basketball mentality I'm referring to the fact that if our basketball program was in the same shape as our football program, we would be making changes, but since its football, and we all know most HJ Alum only care about basketball, its all ok, Martel is a good role model, we just dont have enough kids interrested in football, blah, blah, blah...

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368525" timestamp="1359654748"]
You guys are soooooooo smart. Get a degree and coach? Last time I checked there were no such classes as "Football 101" on any co. When I say Basketball mentality I'm referring to the fact that if our basketball program was in the same shape as our football program, we would be making changes, but since its football, and we all know most HJ Alum only care about basketball, its all ok, Martel is a good role model, we just dont have enough kids interrested in football, blah, blah, blah...
[/quote]

Huh!! Wrong again!! My son is taking a class in coaching philosophies and they learn situational coaching in football.
Believe me coach's read these message boards and they do talk and network, what coach in his right mind would want to put up with the crap that you are shoveling out at HJ.

Jumbo package is the term HJ uses when running a power eye because they put a kid in at the powerback to block. Silsbee did throw on us more than anyone but one of the two td's was a screen and not a long pass. With the personel we had in place, we could not handle the run so every team ran right up the gut. I would not have used 4 linebackers and 2 safetys. I would have put my toughest 2 agressive kids at linebacker and added a nose and Martel would have been a rover in the box. Then, I would have my team ready to spread out in case someone lined up in a shotgun or spread. Rover, 2 corners and a safety. Dude, its football, not rocket science...

Really, one class? Your standing behind one class? I'm sorry, I should have known there would be one class that separates a person played into college and did not take that one class from someone with the same experience but not the class "coaching philosophies of football"... Yea....... Thats funny right there.

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="bedelmon" post="1368533" timestamp="1359655763"]
Really, one class? Your standing behind one class? I'm sorry, I should have known there would be one class that separates a person played into college and did not take that one class from someone with the same experience but not the class "coaching philosophies of football"... Yea....... Thats funny right there.
[/quote]

It is not only the one class! He has other classes as well, Dont sit there and try to tell me what goes into becoming a coach. I see it every day and hear it every day from my son. He eat, lives, and breathes the sport, and I would bet he as a freshman in college knows more about the game than you.

What classes have you took, besides an idiots guide to coaching pee wee football.

Guest Air Bisquit
Geez,
I am through arguing with you edelmon...You are tiresome and frankly beginning to bore the He11 out of me.

Good luck with the coaching search, hopefully HJ gets someone that you approve of and will listen to your vast knowledge and coaching philosophy ::)

I am sure y'all will hang a state championship banner up in a year or 2, after all HJ is loaded with "football talent" ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline