Bridge City AD

Guest Football

Guest pirates

Here are the Board Members up for election in Vidor this year. Kilmer, Quinn and Mr. Croak's open seat.  Formerpirate, I suggest you run and get elected this year to try to change some minds.  All of the current board has no interest or desire to see Mathews leave, in fact the board is working on a counter offer if he was to choose to atempt to leave.

It's time for all this mess to quit.  Mathews will stay as long as he likes, you must look at other things then winning and loosing, matter of fact you cannot run a teacher/coach off for his win/lost record.  It will set the school district up for all kinds of law suits, that the teacher/coach will win.

I will say this again, Mathews is welcome by the school board at Vidor for as long as he likes.  Even the Superintendant strongly supports Mathews.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can get ran off for losing,.ask Ozen's coach..And one year ago the coach from Central that had one year and they ran him off.

I dont believe this is about Mathews getting ran off..HE put in for the BC job..

so apparently he has his reasons why.

I do believe the School board likes Mathews and ALOT of people do in Vidor.

But once again he put in his application for the job.

Guest pirates

Yes you can get ran off for losing,.ask Ozen's coach..And one year ago the coach from Central that had one year and they ran him off.

I dont believe this is about Mathews getting ran off..HE put in for the BC job..

so apparently he has his reasons why.

I do believe the School board likes Mathews and ALOT of people do in Vidor.

But once again he put in his application for the job.

No, Piratefan, you dont understand....The Ozen coach resigned because he was told that he was going to be reassigned.  Most coaches will leave before that happens.

As far as the Central coach from 2 years ago, he had a problem with the adminstration and he knew that his contract would not be renewed.  It had nothing to do with his record.

Don't tell me that a coach in high school can be fired because of win/lost records, he cannot.  High School is not college or pro, a coach cannot be fired for his record.

It's all in the way a school district goes about it, they may want a new coach so they will reassign the coach too, say an Elementary or Jr High School PE teacher or something like that, but they still must honor his contract and they must have some other reason not to renew that contract.  This is a fact for all teachers and since the former AD/coach is now a teacher they are under the same laws that all teachers are.

Teachers in the State of Texas is the most secure job in the state, you better have a long documentated list of mis-conduct or something like inappropriate contact with a student before you can out right fire them.

No, Piratefan, you dont understand....The Ozen coach resigned because he was told that he was going to be reassigned.  Most coaches will leave before that happens.

As far as the Central coach from 2 years ago, he had a problem with the adminstration and he knew that his contract would not be renewed.  It had nothing to do with his record.

Don't tell me that a coach in high school can be fired because of win/lost records, he cannot.   High School is not college or pro, a coach cannot be fired for his record.

It's all in the way a school district goes about it, they may want a new coach so they will reassign the coach too, say an Elementary or Jr High School PE teacher or something like that, but they still must honor his contract and they must have some other reason not to renew that contract.  This is a fact for all teachers and since the former AD/coach is now a teacher they are under the same laws that all teachers are.

Teachers in the State of Texas is the most secure job in the state, you better have a long documentated list of mis-conduct or something like inappropriate contact with a student before you can out right fire them.

Well I meant he WONT be coaching..I understand you cant be fired but they can re assign you.Which means you will no longer be the head coach if you are not producing.I wouldnt care if the coach teaches tiddly winks if he is not winning they will reassign him, and he will not be the AD.so regardless you can call it what you want ,but  they will replace him.

I like mathews he has done alot for Vidor.I am not saying either way if he should stay or go.but If he put in for the job then he must have his reasons why.the school board likes him and the kids like him.

But if he put in for the BC job then it raises some eyebrows

Don't tell me that a coach in high school can be fired because of win/lost records, he cannot.  High School is not college or pro, a coach cannot be fired for his record.

I'm not sure of this quote. I guess as long as an individual is following all the rules set down by the school district then his job is safe as long as he/she is under contract. However, there is no rule by any school district's board that says it has to renew a contract. Most districts will reassign a coach if he is not producing in the capacity that they think he should or would like to see. I went to a Bridge City school board meeting several years ago and there were two teachers that did not get their contracts renewed. I don't know why one of them was not renewed but the other one was becaue the teacher would not turn in paper work on time or did not turn it in at all. This fact was not known by the board members and one of them wanted to know why they should not renew the contracts. Another school board memeber said that if the principal did not want the contract renewed then it should not be renewed because the principal had a problem working with this teacher and his request should be honored. The whole discussion probably should have been in a closed session but it was not. The board voted unamioulsy not to renew the contracts. If a contract is not renewed for any reason, and apparently that reason can be kept quiet if the principal chooses to, and the job is awarder to another person isn't that like fireing someone? My wife is a teacher and she used to teach in Orangefield years ago. She is now in a different district but when she was in OF we went to a banquet and was seated across from one of the school board memebers. He told us that at the last board meeting contract renewals came up. The principal and superintendent recommended to renew all the contracts. They were on a one year contract at that time. He said that all the contracts were renewed but there was one no vote on each contract. He said he voted no on every teacher's contract because he just wanted the teachers to know that it was not a shoe in to get their contracts renewed every year. I thought he was an idiot and should not be on a school board. He must have been a "good ole boy" that everyone knew and liked so he was elected. It certainily could not have been for his brains. In some cases if a coach has a year left on his contract he can be bought off and then his contract would not be renewed. He would have a years free salary and that amount of time to search for a new coaching position elsewhere if he chooses to do so. Now I am not saying everything I typed here is gospel but this is the way I think it is. I guess if any school board memeber is a member of this web site then they could shed some light on this subject. I do not know coach Matthews, only when I see him on TV, but he seems like a true first class guy. I am sure he is a good coach. He probably should have won 3 or more games this year than he did. The PNG game in particular. Vidor outplayed PNG badly but still lost. I hope he stays in Vidor and does well next year. I personally hope BC gets good applicants from outside of the golden triangle and hires one of them. I think BC coaches need to be more agressive than they have been. They have been real good for a few years but when they go through a period of less talent or lack many experienced players they need a coaching staff that can help them develop better and quicker. 

I don't have a clue about teacher's contracts but if it is mandatory for the contract to be renewed, why even have a contract?

What is it going to say, we only guarantee you a job for one more year however you are guaranteed a job for life after that unless you break the law?

If a coach gets reassigned before he is ready to get out of coaching altogether, he will leave.  Most schools can find a reason to non-renew if they choose.  First year teachers do not have to be given a reason for non-renewel. Go to THSCA.com and look how many jobs are open in the coaching ranks.  Very few of these coaches were fired for "winning" records.

Here are the Board Members up for election in Vidor this year. Kilmer, Quinn and Mr. Croak's open seat.  Formerpirate, I suggest you run and get elected this year to try to change some minds.  All of the current board has no interest or desire to see Mathews leave, in fact the board is working on a counter offer if he was to choose to atempt to leave.

It's time for all this mess to quit.  Mathews will stay as long as he likes, you must look at other things then winning and loosing, matter of fact you cannot run a teacher/coach off for his win/lost record.  It will set the school district up for all kinds of law suits, that the teacher/coach will win.

I will say this again, Mathews is welcome by the school board at Vidor for as long as he likes.  Even the Superintendant strongly supports Mathews.

First off, I never said that the board had a desire to get rid of Mathews, so get your facts straight before you run your mouth. I know a lot of people like Mathews and a lot of the school officials like him too. I just do not think that Mathews wants to stay in Vidor. When the BC job opened up before in '03 I think, he was interested in it then but decided to stay. I don't think he will pass it up again. And when there are people screaming for a winning team and blaming the coach when they lose, why would you want to stay at a place like that, so winning does have an effect on staying or going. And yes, winning does have an effect on a coach being let go or not, even in high school. It is just that the school district can cover it up very well.

Plus, I think Vidor needs to go in a different direction with its football program. There is talent here that is not getting exposed. But, we shall see in the near future I guess.

Guest BobcatBeliever

WHY does Mathews need to stay---great record???-------------------------annual playoff appearances???? or just blind loyalty???

I'm starting to wonder if this thread is about BC finding a new AD or debating Jeff Matthews.

Guest sportsfanatic

It's simple....B.C. will find the best man for the job.....it doesn't matter what any of us think.  We can applaud who we think is good, and talk about those who we think aren't , but it's all just a matter if opinion---which is wrong because who are we too judge.  Good luck to the Cardinals....you will get a great coach!!!

I heard three names that are getting interviews.  Bickham at Deweyville, Bolton and Pratt at BC. I know those are not the only ones, but I have no other names. Anyone  else know anything???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder