Bridge City AD

Guest Football

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Vidor fan I have mixed feelings about Matthews possibly landing in BC. 

On the one hand I have lots of respect for Jeff and think he is a great coach.  Yes, he has his faults like most all coaches, but overall I think his heart is there for the kids.  I think he is a great asset.

On the other hand, he has been here for several years now and has never really built any consistancy in the program.  We've had years like '06 where he really was limited in talent but seemed to compete in every game except Dayton.  And then he's had years like '03 where he was loaded with talent and could not push into the playoffs.

So maybe a fresh start in BC for Jeff and some new leadership in V-Town would be best for all.

I'm really mixed on this.  I'd hate to see him go, the town loves him(but they've been whispering about a needed change for a couple of years now). :-\

I agree, there is a time and place for everything. I think it is time for Jeff to leave Vidor and return home. I attended HS and played football with Jeff. He was a graduate assistant when my brother was on the McNeese football team. I've know Jeff almost thirty years and you won't find a better person. He is a great motivator and could do a great job in BC. The key for him would be delegation. He would need good assistant coaches that are hungry for success. From what I've heard sometimes Jeff tries to do to much himself.

Honestly Jeff may not have led the Pirates to the playoffs but there hasn't always been a wealth of talent in V-Town.

Guest licketysplit

Well from the looks of BC, there is not a load of talent there either, considering the district we are now in,  we do not need someone who can do nothing with little talent, we need someone who can do a lot with little.  From my view he has done nothing with Vidor, we sure do not need that over here in BC, even if he is a BC boy..........I have heard that until I am blue in the face.  Who cares where your from, Tinbuktoo, Mars, I dont care, just be a great leader, teacher, person, and winner....................For all sports including football.  Enough with the hometown crap.  Going off of that will land you at home come every December.  This district will not be easier to win in, if that is what people supporting his move to BC are thinking.  Just because its 4a to 3a does not hold much water.  Again my humble opinion.............

Guest Football

Well from the looks of BC, there is not a load of talent there either, considering the district we are now in,  we do not need someone who can do nothing with little talent, we need someone who can do a lot with little.  From my view he has done nothing with Vidor, we sure do not need that over here in BC, even if he is a BC boy..........I have heard that until I am blue in the face.  Who cares where your from, Tinbuktoo, Mars, I dont care, just be a great leader, teacher, person, and winner....................For all sports including football.  Enough with the hometown crap.  Going off of that will land you at home come every December.  This district will not be easier to win in, if that is what people supporting his move to BC are thinking.  Just because its 4a to 3a does not hold much water.  Again my humble opinion.............

WOS could have beaten any team in that 4A district, Silsbee was bigger than any team in that district, and Jasper has a ton of talent coming back. Kirbyville is going to be more than stacked this season. That little ol' 3A district is no cakewalk. I hear BC is going to be down next year.

Guest Sports Cards

Guys.......how can you say who has applied for this job?  The job was just "Officially" posted today.  Check out the Bridge City ISD web page and you'll see Job Opportunities.........Athletic Director......1/8/07.

I don't think Bolton, Pratt, Briggs, Stump, Matthews and etc.. are hiding the fact that they are interested in the job.

i am with lickeyitsplit..i dont care where you are from..they should hire the best applicant...if they are going to stay in house then bolten is the man ..but if they are going to hire the best applicant then if bolton is the man so be it...but of the names that have been mentioned there is three people on the list i would hire before matthews...we want someone that can win with the talent he has and matthews cannot do that.....and in my opinion neither could tarver....he is a good coach but with little talent he couldnt win....example 2003, 2004 and 2006..granted he went to the playoffs in 2004 but they called destroyed by bh and that year wos was the only decent team in the district..we need a proven winner period.....

...we want someone that can win with the talent he has and matthews cannot do that.....

Just wondering what scale you use to judge coaches?  Before Mathews became Head Coach in Vidor, they were the 5th most losing program in Texas.  If I recall correctly, they then had the best school record twice in 15 or 20 years.  They also had their first play-off appearance in some 20 years with Mathews coaching there.  Apparently, the coaches for 15-20 years before Mathews could not do what he did.  I am not putting them down.  I am not a coach and surely cannot sit here and judge them.  I just know what I see.  Mathews was able to do something in Vidor when others couldn't.  I also remember him receiving honors of Coach of the Year in the county or district.  Not sure who nominates or decides on that.  But, someone felt he deserved those honors.  I know that doesn't make him a super-star coach, but let's give him credit where credit is due. 

can't win with little talent????  tell me some places that do win with little talent? i do not know too many coaches that can win with little talent. i agree that there was some games that should have been won (buna), but that stuff happens sometimes. dodge is a heck of a coach, but he didn't win state till he got to southlake and hit the jackpot.

can't win with little talent, what a statement.

i dont believe nederland is loaded with talent every year but they seem to make the playoffs year after year....and they are always in a tough 4a district....so tell me what is matthews record in vidor....all i am saying is you should hire the best applicant ....and i have mentioned before matthews had is chance to come to b.c....i dont care what the reason was for him not coming.....there was a man that was hired as a middle school principal a few years back but he changed his mind and didnt come...well when he applied for the supt. job he was one of the finalist and in my opinion the best person for the job but they didnt hire him..and i personally feel if he hadnt pulled out of the principals job he would have been the new supt...oh and he's a b.c. boy to.....

Guest Orangeboy

What about the guy from Deweyville? I heard he had his name in the hat. He has done a great job there, although it has only been a short period of time.

I am not sure who or how the school board will choose the next head coach at BC nor does anyone else at this point. However, I hope they will be open minded and not hire anyone just to fill an opening. I do not know the coaches at the high school or other schools in the school district so I will not make a comment about them. I do know Briggs but not personally. He taught my two kids when they were in school and is a super guy. I hope the school board will recieve many applicants and will give all an equal chance. If the best applicant is one of the present coaches then so be it. If we get a good applicant outside the district then I do not think the school board should be hesitant about hireing him. We all want what is best for our kids. The athletic programs at BC are good charicter builders and builds pride and spirit in the school. Bridge City needs a guy that can compete with WOS and Dan Hooks. Let's face it, every year they are the team to beat. So why can't BC have a team of that caliber? It's not the pool of talent to choose from that makes WOS a winner. They are a small school and compete with much larger schools. Dan Hooks has a program in that can win with just about any athelets he has to work with. So does Barclay in Newton. Coach Newman in Nederland gets his team in the playoff's every year yet just across the tracks is PNG and though they are competive they are not in the playoffs nearly as much and I am sure their talent pool is about equal with Nederlands. Ozan probably has as much talent, or more so in some opinions, yet they had the worst season in their school history. I could go on abouth Doug Ethridge of the PNG era of the 70's and Todd Dodge at SouthLake Carrol of the present but the point is that some coaches can win no mater what talent they have. No, not a championship maybe with kids with no athletic ability but at least could be competive. Actually I think these coaches take kids and develop the athletic ability that they have and turn them into winners. It would be nice to see Bridge City compete with WOS year in and year out and win some of the games. There are good coaches out there and I hope the school board will hire a person that wants to give the effort to bring BC to the elete level.

BC should get many top notch candidates for the AD/HF job.....and I'm sure they'll do whats best for the kids, school, community, etc.....

Their have been a few posts about winning with "little talent".......C'mon guys...show me someone that does that!  Hooks -- WOS always has and always will have talent.  In some years (like this year - 06) they are LOADED!  Neauman --He has a great program in place....but, don't let him fool you......they have talent.  Barbay -- again...great program....but, above average talent!  Lets look at BC.... Conways 1st year they went 0-10 (1st time in school history).  Did he have much talent?  Don't know....but, hey lets win a lot with a little talent.  The next few years he did pretty good.  Did they have talent (Peebles, Knight, Woolford, Melich, etc....) or did he do a lot with little?  What about Tarver?  To me, he did a great job.!  But, some people will say that he only did good when he had talent, but ....that he didn't do as well with little talent.  Well....hmmm....I see a trend there!  C'mon .....Nobody wins alot without talent! 

I have to agree with BigBlue.  I just don't see how a coach can take kids with little talent and turn them into something they are not.  I know there can be some improvement with coaching.  Coaches are able to motivate, too.  I give them credit for that.  But, they are not magicians.  The kids have to be equipped somehow with talent.  And, the kids need to have the DESIRE to win.  It is not ALL up the coaches.  Furthermore, I want coaches for my kids who are not only there to win.  I hope my kids can look up to their coaches as role models at school and in the community.  Let's hope BC hires someone with integrity and strong moral values. 

Tallent is important, don't get me wrong. Some talented kids don't know how good their talent is. That's where it takes a good coach to bring out that tallent by motivating them to work hard and get the winning attitude. I don't want a coach that wants to win at all cost. That would be more for his own ego and not for the good of the kids. The kids on this last team had a winning attitude but did not have enough playing experience to compete with the top three teams. I do think a closer look at what WOS, Nederland, and some of the other successful teams programs are doing would be worth the effort. I too liked coach Tarver. His record speaks for itself. He just did not have enough experience on this years team. If he stayed here for ten to fifteen years then who knows what his record would be. Maybe good? :-\

Guest licketysplit

Some of you guys are missing the point and taking the one comment "winning with little talent" and running with it.  The statement that the one vidor poster made about Mathews and how he did ok with a non talented team but still no playoffs, and did not do much with a talented one and still no playoffs.  At BC we want a coach that can compete with both ends of the spectrum.  If you have loads of talent then you better win, if you have years where you are down on talent, then you should still be able to compete, IF you have a good program in place, and one that maximizes what the team you have strengths are.  If you do not have quickness then you better not run an offense that goes outside all the time.  IF you do not have a strong QB then do not have a offense that throws 70% of the time.  Its taking what you have and making the most of it.  There will be down years in every program, but not making the playoffs when you have and have not is not somthing BC needs.  I do agree with the one  poster about " Let's hope BC hires someone with integrity and strong moral values."  That is as true a statement as any.   

i agree totally with licketysplit and cardinal supporter...b.c. should compete for a playof spot every year with its size.....and a good coach can get the most out of his players..of course he has to surround himself with a good staff from the middle school on up..and personally i dont think that has been done here in the past...the ad needs to be someone that takes interest in all levels and also all other sports no matter what it is....and he needs to make sure that all levels and all sports have the right people coahing them .....i am sure they have some great applicants and hopefully they will hire the right guy for the right reasons....i also think that schools like wos, newton , nederland and any other schools that are always competative is because they incouragge the kids from middle school up and try to keep them wanting to come back year after year..instead lossing kids after the first couple of years becasue they dont encourage them or find a way to run them off..and i know that has happened in the past....and that is the responisibilty of the ad...

I'm with vhs on this one. It will be sad if Mathews leaves because he has meant so much to all the players over the years, but I do feel it may be time to go in another direction. I just don't think that he hires the best Asst. Coaches out there. Coach Hatch was the best D Cooridinator in the district and he left for more money. Why not pay him what he deserves to keep him around? I know the school district is the one who offers contracts, but he could have at least fought for the guy. Vidor had talented teams in '99 and went 5-5, '00 went 4-6 and made the playoffs, '03 went 6-4, '04 went 2-8 with a team that many thought would make the playoffs. You can't have talented teams and post those kind of records. I just think it is time for Vidor to go a different way with the program if Mathews goes to BC, or even if he doesn't.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder