Bridge City AD

Guest Football

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of Saturday morning, Jeff had not gotten a phone call for an interview. I am sure that Stump wil get one also. The baseball thing is not going to happen.

Guest Bridge City Card

??? Not sure? Coaches may not want people to know. He did apply but doesn't look like he will get it from what i hear just from word of mouth around BC.

Why dont we get off of jeff and start concentrating on who will get the Head Job.  No offense to jeff but he is not what this topic started was started for.  This has turned into a bash jeff thread and those of us that know him do not appreciate it and I am sure he enjoy reading negative things about himself. As long as I have known Jeff he has never lied to me or have I ever witnessed him lying to another. 

i thought vsports said matthews told him face to face he didnt apply for the b.c. job....why would matthews tell someone face to face he didnt apply for a job that in fact he did apply for it....

jacf......I'm not sure if you know Jeff or not....but that's  really not important.  It's also obvious that he's not your top choice for the BC job.  Again, not important.  It seems as if all you want to do is bash him or post negative info. about him.  If you knew him...you would know that he is a first class person with good morals and values.  More importantly, is that he has a heart for kids.  That my friend is more important than any won-loss record.  Now....about football - Most people that know much about football will tell you that Jeff has done a great job at Vidor.  He took over a program that was one of the worst in the state and turned it into a competitive program.  Vidor used to be a push-over and while they don't win as often as some would like.....they are definitely competitive.  In fact, if you ask area coaches they will tell you that he has over-achieved in Vidor.  The fact is this, Vidor doesn't have much talent, but....Jeff seems to get the most out of them each year. 

The fact is this, Vidor doesn't have much talent, but....Jeff seems to get the most out of them each year. 

I disagree. I think Vidor has pretty good talent. A few years back, Vidor had about 4 or 5 guys who could break the 4.4 40yrd mark. It may not show, but Vidor has some talented kids.

But this isn't a Vidor thread, so good luck to BC and whoever they hire.

Jeff Matthews has beaten WOS twice in his stint at Vidor-- Bridge City has NEVER--NO NEVER beaten WOS

I remember that Vidor has had success against WOS a couple of years and played them close a time or two. However, I am not sure that BC played WOS the same years that Vidor beat them. BC has had some success against WOS also. On the 1996-1997 football team BC was in good position to beat WOS that year. There came a monsoon rain storm and all games in the area were delayed because of the rain. Coach Hooks had the game suspended and finished the next day in spite of coach Johnson wanting to finish the game. It was the only game suspended in the whole area. BC played well against WOS about 3 seasons ago and lost in OT. Two years ago BC lost by a touchdown in a high scoring game. But those are past teams and who knows what Mathews could do with next years team.

I think he is a good coach and has done a good job at Vidor and I hope he continues to stay in Vidor. I just would like to see BC get someone new to this area. I know that many did not like Les Johnson, and if I were a teacher there I probably would have a lot of things negative to say about him. I will say however, he did turn BC's program around. BC was a whipping boy like Vidor used to be when coach Johnson took over the job. He turned things around and BC has been competive and been in the playoffs a lot of the years since he was coach. He changed a lot of things that probably needed to be changed. Enough about coach Johnson. I am not saying that I would like someone like him to take over the job. I am saying that I would like to see someone take over the job that can change the things that need to be changed. Programs like WOS, Nederland, and some of the successful programs around the state should be studied and BC should try to implement similar tactics. I think it would take someone new to this area to do so. If they promote from within, not much will change. Just look at PNG. They have a coach that played on their state championship team in the mid seventies. They have become very predictable. Coach Tarver was a good coach and a man with fine character. He had good teams the past few years. However, this last year he fielded a team with very little varsity experience. WOS every year has a team with a lot of varsity experience from the previous year. So does Nederland. Some how these teams have underclassmen that get developed and play on the varsity then become the leaders on the team the following years.

That's developing and using the players you have to the fullest. I don't know all who applied but I am hoping the school board will be open minded and hire the best possible coach that did apply. Not someone just because he went to school there or is now a coach there.

Guest coachhooker

i think they might go with an outside person as in outside of setx.  this is just a hunch but who knows.  who ever gets this job will probably be a coach that has state championship experiences. 

Guest Football

Jeff Mathews is a top level caring man with a heart for all kids and all sports.

If he is not available I hope they go outside the area to find someone who can administer a whole program.

So your saying Matthews is the only coach in SETX qualified to build a strong, well-rounded program? This is SETX, there are some great coaches in THIS area.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder