West Brook ends season with victory

Flanagan was successfull in doing something no other WB head coach has ever done, in the schools history. He started his first season with a losing record. Durley went 11-4-1, and won a state title, in his first year. Leo Nolan won 8 games in his first season, as well as Jerry Henschel. Al Rabb was 11-3, and lost in the quarterfinals, in his first year. Stump won 8 games, in a hurricane shortened 2005 season, but advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs, before bowing out. Going 4-6, in your first year, is definitely not what we have come to expect. Our expectation are, and have always been higher. We wont accept too many seasons like this one. You better get things together, and put a much improved team on the field next year, Coach Flanagan, or you will be shortest tenured coach in WB's history!

Craig Stumps first year was in 2004, in which he went 2-8. Stump took a year to get it rolling and when he did they rolled. So i'm sure if we check the rest we will see you are wrong about those 82. It totally discredits your validity when you just make stuff up to prove a point. Now nothing you say can be taken serious because you are just lying and trying to make your self look good while talking about some one elses lively hood. Stay classy 82' HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329049" timestamp="1352819819"]
Craig Stumps first year was in 2004, in which he went 2-8. Stump took a year to get it rolling and when he did they rolled. So i'm sure if we check the rest we will see you are wrong about those 82. It totally discredits your validity when you just make stuff up to prove a point. Now nothing you say can be taken serious because you are just lying and trying to make your self look good while talking about some one elses lively hood. Stay classy 82' HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
[/quote] On the contrary, you're wrong.  Stump started on the 2005 football season.  Remember, all three schools got new coaches.  The 2005 team made the playoffs under Stump.  Maybe YOU need to do a little more research...

[/quote]

I am sorry to say that this is incorrect.  Stumps first year was the Hurricane Rita year where they did win 8 games.  My son was on that team.  In fact that was the furthest he took WB during his tenure.  It was against all odds as Da Brook had to not only get there players back to a messy situation but he also had to fight UIL to make sure that the  district did not eliminate them from a chance to continue to play. 
Additionally, Stump built a better disciplined program as he began the season weeding out a few players that challenged his authority.  One of these was a returning area star all district line-backer that did not seem to want to adhere to his policies.  It took nads to do what he did.  He had an awesome staff and IMO this group over-achieved to get that far.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1329094" timestamp="1352823336"]
[quote author=HIGHpoint96 link=topic=106076.msg1329049#msg1329049 date=1352819819]
[/quote]
Might I add that it is unfair to judge coach Flannigan this early.  Stump inherited a loosing program that had some hungry seniors searching for some wins.  They did have some good leaders that rose to the occasion under the new staffs guidance.  Flannigan inherited the opposite, as he returned a much younger team lacking the leadership and perhaps expecting the winning to come easily as earlier seasons indicated.  We should expect more from this staff next year however.

I am sorry to say that this is incorrect.  Stumps first year was the Hurricane Rita year where they did win 8 games.  My son was on that team.  In fact that was the furthest he took WB during his tenure.  It was against all odds as Da Brook had to not only get there players back to a messy situation but he also had to fight UIL to make sure that the  district did not eliminate them from a chance to continue to play. 
Additionally, Stump built a better disciplined program as he began the season weeding out a few players that challenged his authority.  One of these was a returning area star all district line-backer that did not seem to want to adhere to his policies.  It took nads to do what he did.  He had an awesome staff and IMO this group over-achieved to get that far.
[/quote]

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329097" timestamp="1352823652"]
You are going off memory i just looked it up on max preps. Go look it up for your self buddy, its the truth I did do my research.
[/quote]
TRUST me --you and your resource is wrong.  I was there for the agony of defeat to the thrill of victory. Perhaps a wager is needed here. 
8)

so you are saying that max preps put his name as the head coach a whole year before he started working there? It says it clear as day go look for your self. It was over 8 years ago buddy, you could just have your years mixed up, people do it all the time. Why would a credited recruiting website report that wrong? you are going off your personal memory, they are a professional football record keeping database. I'll take their word for it over your personal memory.

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329103" timestamp="1352824290"]
so you are saying that max preps put his name as the head coach a whole year before he started working there? It says it clear as day go look for your self. It was over 8 years ago buddy, you could just have your years mixed up, people do it all the time. Why would a credited recruiting website report that wrong? you are going off your personal memory, they are a professional football record keeping database. I'll take their word for it over your personal memory.
[/quote]

Geeze, I am simply saying that you are wrong, dead wrong, totally wrong, absolutely 100% wrong. 
I know coach Stump, I know West Brook, and I know that I am right.  This is a fact.
I am also saying that we need to give Flannigan and his staff another season before judging which is an opinion.

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329103" timestamp="1352824290"]
[/quote]

Maxpreps is wrong.  They don't even have the season results correct for most teams.

Well i tried to look it up and it said stump was the coach in 2004, if thats wrong then my bad. I just hate when people try to sit backand act like they know football because they have ESPN and make comments as if coaches will start trying harder because you called them out on this board. Stump was a phenominal coach, and the Bruins were 5-5 last year and lost a kid that went to UT and some other small D2/D3 and JUCO college players. This year they went 4-6, you say that is not what you are used to in a 1st year, but you just went 5-5 in Coach stumps 7th year and he did an amazing job. He probably left for a reason. It's an extremely tough district and in a years time the bruins will most likely be better than they are now.

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329130" timestamp="1352826387"]
Well i tried to look it up and it said stump was the coach in 2004, if thats wrong then my bad. I just hate when people try to sit backand act like they know football because they have ESPN and make comments as if coaches will start trying harder because you called them out on this board. Stump was a phenominal coach, and the Bruins were 5-5 last year and lost a kid that went to UT and some other small D2/D3 and JUCO college players. This year they went 4-6, you say that is not what you are used to in a 1st year, but you just went 5-5 in Coach stumps 7th year and he did an amazing job. He probably left for a reason. It's an extremely tough district and in a years time the bruins will most likely be better than they are now.
[/quote]
I agree with this post.  Now we can be Buddies  ;D 8)

[quote name="HIGHpoint96" post="1329130" timestamp="1352826387"]
Well i tried to look it up and it said stump was the coach in 2004, if thats wrong then my bad. I just hate when people try to sit backand act like they know football because they have ESPN and make comments as if coaches will start trying harder because you called them out on this board. Stump was a phenominal coach, and the Bruins were 5-5 last year and lost a kid that went to UT and some other small D2/D3 and JUCO college players. This year they went 4-6, you say that is not what you are used to in a 1st year, [b]but you just went 5-5 in Coach stumps[/b] 7th year and he did an amazing job. He probably left for a reason. It's an extremely tough district and in a years time the bruins will most likely be better than they are now.
[/quote]Just another bit of information that is wrong, from you. WB did not go 5-5, last year, they were 6-4, in the regular season, and lost to Deer Park 31-30, in the Bi-District round. DO NOT try to squabble with me about stats, and the history of WB football. While there are folks on this board that I don't always see eye to eye with, most will tell you I know what I'm talking about. And yes, Stump's first year was 2005. You, and MAX Preps, are both wrong. 2004 was Al Rabb's last year, where yes, they finished 2-8. For the record, this is not Stump's team. This is Flanagan's team. There were only 3 returning starters from last year's squad. And we are not happy with 4-6. We DO expect better of our team. You, should do a better job of checking stats before you get on here and call people out that have been here a LOOOOng time....through thick and thin!

[b]Craig Stumps first year was in 2004, in which he went 2-8. Stump took a year to get it rolling and when he did they rolled. So i'm sure if we check the rest we will see you are wrong about those 82. It totally discredits your validity when you just make stuff up to prove a point[/b]. Now nothing you say can be taken serious because you are just lying and trying to make your self look good while talking about some one elses lively hood. Stay classy 82' HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
[/quote]Maybe you should delete MAXPreps from your browser, because you just made yourself sound stupid. I know my stuff!

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1329477" timestamp="1352841047"]
[quote author=HIGHpoint96 link=topic=106076.msg1329130#msg1329130 date=1352826387]
Well i tried to look it up and it said stump was the coach in 2004, if thats wrong then my bad. I just hate when people try to sit backand act like they know football because they have ESPN and make comments as if coaches will start trying harder because you called them out on this board. Stump was a phenominal coach, and the Bruins were 5-5 last year and lost a kid that went to UT and some other small D2/D3 and JUCO college players. This year they went 4-6, you say that is not what you are used to in a 1st year, [b]but you just went 5-5 in Coach stumps[/b] 7th year and he did an amazing job. He probably left for a reason. It's an extremely tough district and in a years time the bruins will most likely be better than they are now.
[/quote]Just another bit of information that is wrong, from you. WB did not go 5-5, last year, [b]they were 6-4,[/b] in the regular season, and lost to Deer Park 31-30, in the Bi-District round. DO NOT try to squabble with me about stats, and the history of WB football. While there are folks on this board that I don't always see eye to eye with, most will tell you I know what I'm talking about. And yes, Stump's first year was 2005. You, and MAX Preps, are both wrong. 2004 was Al Rabb's last year, where yes, they finished 2-8. For the record, this is not Stump's team. This is Flanagan's team. [b]There were only 3 returning starters from last year's squad[/b]. And we are not happy with 4-6. We DO expect better of our team. You, should do a better job of checking stats before you get on here and call people out that have been here a LOOOOng time....through thick and thin!
[/quote]You sir should be ashamed of yourself.  You call yourself a supporter of WB yet all you do is verbally elaborate nothing but negativity. Think of the impression you are leaving your community about your towns athletic program. How can any coach feel welcome. I would think a "Donating Moderator Senior" would not come on a site and bash a coach of good integrity...  Especially knowing the facts which you yourself stated. "only 3 returning starters" "6-4 record of last year".  I don't know the JV's record last year but I am willing to bet they were not dominate.  So look at the facts, Flanigan took over a program that was 1 loss from being .500 and then you graduated 18 starters that were 6-5 and tried to win teaching 18 starters a new system.  That is tough for any coach.  I can name many coaches in the area that are considered great coaches but had trouble their first year at a new school.  Look at Jack Alverez. 4-6 first year at Ennis,  9-2 this year.  Flanigan did the same at Orangefield and Crosby.  Flanigan is a outstanding coach which has turned teams around.  Give the man time and TRY to be supportive of your teams coach.  You WILL be surprised of the attitudes and success your school will have.

Sorry if I offended you, but how did I bash this coaching staff? By saying that we, as fans, were unhappy with the outcome of the first season under this regime? At any point in time did I say he was a terrible coach? NO! The whole point of this board is to talk about sports. First of all, I am hard on my team because we have tradition, and that tradition is a winning one. Second, I will be the first one to give our boys, and our coaches, props when they do well. Did you see a WB game this year? My guess is not. So, is it fair of you to call me out for calling it like it is? No. I'm not here to sugar coat anything for anybody. I understand that we had a young team, this year, and I am willing to give this coaching staff another year, or two. But, with the talent roaming the halls at WB, if they can't put a competitive team on the field in 2 or 3 years, wouldn't you agree that something isn't working? Now, maybe I haven't seen everything this coaching staff has to offer, but judging the product that was put on the field, this year, you can understand my/our frustration. I certainly hope next year is an improvement over this year. Believe me, I will be the first to jump on his bandwagon. I realize what he did at Orangefield, and Crosby, but he isn't coaching 3A and 4A football, anymore. This is 5A. There is a difference.

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1329031" timestamp="1352818497"]
Flanagan was successfull in doing something no other WB head coach has ever done, in the schools history. He started his first season with a losing record. Durley went 11-4-1, and won a state title, in his first year. Leo Nolan won 8 games in his first season, as well as Jerry Henschel. Al Rabb was 11-3, and lost in the quarterfinals, in his first year. Stump won 8 games, in a hurricane shortened 2005 season, but advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs, before bowing out. Going 4-6, in your first year, is definitely not what we have come to expect. Our expectation are, and have always been higher. We wont accept too many seasons like this one. You better get things together, and put a much improved team on the field next year, Coach Flanagan, or you will be shortest tenured coach in WB's history!
[/quote]Again, at any point did I bash this coach? I don't think so. I was simply comparing the first year under a new HC, to previous HC's. Don't mistake my passion for my school as being hateful towards a person, or coach. Not my intent. Just simply saying that if something doesn't turn around, in a year or two, he may be coaching somewhere else. Maybe I'm wrong for expecting too much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder