Whatever happened to good sportsmanship?

Guest TribePride
[quote name="BigDog007" post="1314976" timestamp="1351629949"]
The most important lesson I've learned from sports is how to be not only a gracious winner, but a good loser as well. Not everyone wins all the time, as a matter of fact, no one wins all the time. Winning is the easy part, losing is really tough. But, you learn more from one loss than you do from a million wins. You learn a lot about sportsmanship. I mean, it's really tough to shake the hand of someone who just beat you, and it's even harder to do it with a smile. If you can learn to do this and push through that pain, you will remember what that moment is like the next time you win and have a better sense of how those competitors around you feel. This experience will teach you a lot on and off the field!"
- Amy Van Dyken
[/quote]

Great post and message.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another interesting POV:

Look up Refugio in South Texas, they are a traditional powerhouse in the district with weaker teams.  Their coach has always had to pull his starters at halftime due to beating teams badly.  They had always made it several rounds deep but couldn't get over the hump to win it all.

Last year the coach came out and said why is fair that his kids only got to play a half when all the other teams kids were getting play 4 qtrs.  So last year he played his kids full games and they routinely beat people by 50pts.  It all paid off in the end because they were State Champions in Dec.

I think espn or si actually picked up on too through out the season. 

[quote name="PAMFAM10" post="1314856" timestamp="1351624292"]
Its Football You Cant Show Up N Assume Just because Your Getting blown Out The Coach Should Let Up............Nope Not At All Kids Work Hard During Practice To Exacute On Game Day If I Have A Rb Tryna Get To A Scholarship Am I To Tell Him Dont Try To Score because You Might Hurt The Other Teams Feelings .....Its A Man Game
[/quote]. Wow.

Every coach is different. some games might be personal to a coach, and he might try and run up the score. Any coach worth his salt has probably been on the other side of a butt whooping and knows when to call it off. Being up by 3 possessions isn't a safe lead unless there is under two minutes left. If you're up by 28-35, then you can start putting in back ups.

Guest UHCoog14
Everyone's for "just stop us" until they are on the other end. Then they change their tune.

Just like I don't spank my kids until I get tired,  I don't humiliate another team because I can. You administer whatever punishment is sufficient.

Just remember: Karma is a beach.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Aggieallstar" post="1315140" timestamp="1351650685"]
That was to PAMfan. I really didn't understand that post.
[/quote]

I think you have to be fluent in jive.

Try-
www.urbandictionary.com

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1315135" timestamp="1351650537"]
Everyone's for "just stop us" until they are on the other end. Then they change their tune.

Just like I don't spank my kids until I get tired,  I don't humiliate another team because I can. You administer whatever punishment is sufficient.

Just remember: Karma is a beach.
[/quote] you're absolutely correct. The problem is most people on here only have experience playing madden or watching games. They forget you're dealing with highschool kids and you can only play with the talent you have.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1315147" timestamp="1351650883"]
[quote author=Aggieallstar link=topic=105446.msg1315140#msg1315140 date=1351650685]
[/quote]

Try-
www.urbandictionary.com
[/quote]

Nice! (In a cynical kind of way]

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="ThaGhost(P.A. ALL DAY)" post="1315152" timestamp="1351651178"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=105446.msg1315147#msg1315147 date=1351650883]
[quote author=Aggieallstar link=topic=105446.msg1315140#msg1315140 date=1351650685]
[/quote]

Try-
www.urbandictionary.com
[/quote]

Nice! (In a cynical kind of way]
[/quote]

It's a hard knock life.

I read somewhere that if it's too rough, my opponents can go talk to their school counselor.

There are so many nuances to how the coach of the team that is way ahead should coach through the end of the game that coaches are bound to make mistakes.

For instance, if a team is ahead by four touchdowns in the second half and the second and third string have driven the ball down to the opponents 10 and its fourth down should the coach go for it and risk putting another 7 points on the losing team or kick a FG?

In a blow out game that is clearly over by half time, the winning coach should give his starters the first series of the second half and let them play.  Then take them out and play the back ups the rest of the way.

Throwing the ball when up by a lot in the 4th quarter is unsportsmanlike.  It can only be interpreted as an attempt to score and it doesnt help run the clock down.  If the winning team runs the ball with backups and scores the coach is done all he can do to avoid running up the score.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1314646" timestamp="1351612766"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=105446.msg1314638#msg1314638 date=1351612368]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=105446.msg1314623#msg1314623 date=1351611270]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=105446.msg1314600#msg1314600 date=1351609803]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=105446.msg1314576#msg1314576 date=1351608801]
If a team is throwing the ball with a big lead that is running up the score, but if a team is running the ball and still scoring, then the other team needs to learn how to tackle ;)
[/quote]

I agree with this, I know some people in the surrounding area were upset about the Vidor/Lumb score because it was so high.  However, Vidor wasn't out to keep the score running up out of spite or anything else.  When you put 2nd and 3rd string in and they run the ball and continue to score because the opposing team just can't tackle what are you supposed to do??  Kneel at the 1 yard line and give the ball to the opposing team?
[/quote]

Ned had a chance to score again with the backups against Ozen at the end of the game,  we kneeled on the 3 yard line to end the game.
[/quote]

To me that's more of a slap in the face. It's almost as if you're saying, we know we're better and we could score if we wanted to, but we're gonna let you make it this game.
[/quote]

No, were saying the game is over and has been since the third quarter and we are not going to run up the score.  Running up 66 points on a team is just asking for karma.
[/quote]

Here we go again with St. Littledog pontificating about his pius puppies NEVER doing anything wrong and incorrectly quoting statistics. I can remember us playing your homecoming and y'all running the score up with the starters or do you want me to put up the those statistics? Jeff emptied the bench against Lumberton and it was all he could do. He had the same mercy rule against png, believe it or not. I always wanted the other team to play hard so my team could learn; kneeling the ball is the worse thing to do. Take that holier than thou crud somewhere else. This is football, not cheer competition!!!

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="mytwocents" post="1315165" timestamp="1351652529"]
Smh at some people on here.

Y'all act like getting score run up a kid is gonna land them in depression or something. Jeez it's just football y'all. They'll be okay. I once lost a game by 60 points. Did I go home and cry? No I played harder the next practice. Football is becoming too sissy-fied now a days.  ::)
[/quote]
It's obvious you miss the intent of sportsmanship.

You can beat me as bad as you can. You do not define me If I allowed that to happen, I have empowered you beyond the playing field. That is the same concept I pass along to my children.

Luckily, I have never been on the losing side of a beat-down as an athlete. I have had to be a spectator to some. GCM was a first year school that opted to play a varsity schedule. It happens. No sissies here.

Tides turn. Be prepared for the shoe on the other foot to one day kick you in the arse.

There used to be a thing called class and acting like you have been there before. It also depends on how they do it. If theyre running the ball and still scoring that's one thing. If theyre throwing for the endzone already up 35-40 then they have no class or really don't like the other coach. What does it prove by showing up a bunch of kids? You won the game. Do it with class

[Havingquote author=GCMPats link=topic=105446.msg1315179#msg1315179 date=1351653795]
[quote name="mytwocents" post="1315165" timestamp="1351652529"]

Y'all act like getting score run up a kid is gonna land them in depression or something. Jeez it's just football y'all. They'll be okay. I once lost a game by 60 points. Did I go home and cry? No I played harder the next practice. Football is becoming too sissy-fied now a days.  ::)
[/quote]

You can beat me as bad as you can. You do not define me If I allowed that to happen, I have empowered you beyond the playing field. That is the same concept I pass along to my children.

Luckily, I have never been on the losing side of a beat-down as an athlete. I have had to be a spectator to some. GCM was a first year school that opted to play a varsity schedule. It happens. No sissies here.

Tides turn. Be prepared for the shoe on the other foot to one day kick you in the arse.
[/quote]

I'm an old Pirate GCM and let me tell you, we know full well what it's like for the shoe to be on the other foot. Jeff Mathews is one of the finest individuals you'll meet and I promise he would not intentionally do that. I'm still trying to figure out how this thread became an indictment of Vidor but I believe I found the source. There are those on this website who hate to see us win no matter what and could use a little humility themselves. Having been on the other end, when the wheels come off a good little league team could beat you. You take your lumps and learn from it.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1315179" timestamp="1351653795"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=105446.msg1315165#msg1315165 date=1351652529]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Been there done that man. I know what it feels like to be embarrassed both as a player and a fan. It sucks. But you haven't and you won't see me whining about running up the score.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="mytwocents" post="1315189" timestamp="1351654935"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=105446.msg1315179#msg1315179 date=1351653795]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=105446.msg1315165#msg1315165 date=1351652529]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Been there done that man. I know what it feels like to be embarrassed both as a player and a fan. It sucks.But you haven't and you won't see me whining about running up the score.
[/quote]

Run it up!

I will not whine about it when it happens. I do, however, know that it is not done under the guise of good sportsmanship.

Couldn't the same be said about a team that has shut out almost every team they've played this season, I am speaking of WOS. I'm not hating on them, I am proud of them. The Mustangs been a strong force for song long that winning has become a tradition to WOS. But does it make them poor sportsman for having such an incredible winning season?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder