Whatever happened to good sportsmanship?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigdog" post="1314646" timestamp="1351612766"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=105446.msg1314638#msg1314638 date=1351612368]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=105446.msg1314623#msg1314623 date=1351611270]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=105446.msg1314600#msg1314600 date=1351609803]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=105446.msg1314576#msg1314576 date=1351608801]
If a team is throwing the ball with a big lead that is running up the score, but if a team is running the ball and still scoring, then the other team needs to learn how to tackle ;)
[/quote]

I agree with this, I know some people in the surrounding area were upset about the Vidor/Lumb score because it was so high.  However, Vidor wasn't out to keep the score running up out of spite or anything else.  When you put 2nd and 3rd string in and they run the ball and continue to score because the opposing team just can't tackle what are you supposed to do??  Kneel at the 1 yard line and give the ball to the opposing team?
[/quote]

Ned had a chance to score again with the backups against Ozen at the end of the game,  we kneeled on the 3 yard line to end the game.
[/quote]

To me that's more of a slap in the face. It's almost as if you're saying, we know we're better and we could score if we wanted to, but we're gonna let you make it this game.
[/quote]

No, were saying the game is over and has been since the third quarter and we are not going to run up the score.  Running up 66 points on a team is just asking for karma.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say karma, I would say that team needs to learn to tackle. So when the offense gets the ball should they just walk with it to give the defense a chance to make at least one tackle??

No.  I am not against beating a team by several tds, but running it up excessively doesn't really accomplish anything.  If it was 3rd or 4th string playing that is one thing.  If the starters are still in that is something else.

[quote name="bigdog" post="1314655" timestamp="1351613189"]
No.  I am not against beating a team by several tds, but running it up excessively doesn't really accomplish anything.  If it was 3rd or 4th string playing that is one thing.  If the starters are still in that is something else.
[/quote]

That I agree with you on which is what was the case in that high scoring game. The starters were out....

couple of things, you cant coach your kids to play as hard as they can then tell them not to. Subs have to play hard if they want to have the chance to be a starter. Other thing is I have seen games where the team that is behind starts taking cheap shots at the team ahead. Hitting out of bounds, chop blocks at their knees, and doing anything they can to hurt players. If you play dirty when you get behind be prepared to have it run up on you.

I agree with what others have said.  Pulling starters in the 3rd quarter when you are up by 21+ is considered good sportsmanship.  However, the 2nd and 3rd string kids want to do the best they can, too.  So if one teams 2nd or 3rd string is better than the other teams 1st string, there is not a lot you can do about that.  It is not fair to tell them not to do their best.  You want everyone to do their best.  Kids need to learn to accept defeat graciously no matter what.  That is one of the best life lessons they can learn through sports.

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1314664" timestamp="1351613547"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=105446.msg1314661#msg1314661 date=1351613339]
But didn't Quirante score 6 tds in that game?
[/quote]

No, he ran for 145 yards, 2 TD's, threw for 45.  The game you're thinking about is the Central game.  He had 6 TD's in that one with a score of 40-21
[/quote]

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1314667" timestamp="1351613713"]
couple of things, you cant coach your kids to play as hard as they can then tell them not to. Subs have to play hard if they want to have the chance to be a starter. Other thing is I have seen games where the team that is behind starts taking cheap shots at the team ahead. Hitting out of bounds, chop blocks at their knees, and doing anything they can to hurt players. If you play dirty when you get behind be prepared to have it run up on you.
[/quote]
I agree Ump........there are also situations like UH when [s]Ware[/s] Klingler was there beating a team 95 to 21.....still throwing the ball for stats.....he threw 11 td passes......there is bad on both sides

[quote name="Dawg88" post="1314674" timestamp="1351614062"]
I agree with what others have said.  Pulling starters in the 3rd quarter when you are up by 21+ is considered good sportsmanship.  However, the 2nd and 3rd string kids want to do the best they can, too.  So if one teams 2nd or 3rd string is better than the other teams 1st string, there is not a lot you can do about that.  It is not fair to tell them not to do their best.  You want everyone to do their best.  Kids need to learn to accept defeat graciously no matter what.  That is one of the best life lessons they can learn through sports.
[/quote]I think you leave the starters in until you're at least 5 scores ahead at the end of the third quarter. Dayton scored 28 on us in the 2nd quarter, Crosby scored 28 on BH in about 15 mins. of game time. Running the score up is one thing, securing a win and therefore securing your job and means to make a mortage payment is another thing. If the kids give up on the losing team that's not the winner's fault, that's a coaching/will issue. I know we had a couple bad losses in high school and college but I never once thought "man, I wish they would take it easy on us". I just got peed off and tried to catch that blitzing linebacker with the crown of my helment underneath his chin. I think the people in the stands care more about sportsmanship than the players, after the game is over the players get ready for the next team and forget about it. The parents are the ones who live with it for weeks. A prime example is in high school I played against Dayton 3 times, they were rivalry games but I never disliked them the way I do now when I just watch from the stands.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1314647" timestamp="1351612869"]
Run it up! If you have 2nd or 3rd string in, I say you continue to run your offense. You never know when that 2nd or 3rd string kid is going to be thrown into a game due to an injury, etc.. Too much politically correct fans IMO.
[/quote]

No doubt.
Let's not even play the games and pass out trophies to everyone. Kinda like the way UIL does with playoff spots these days.

[quote name="VNUPE" post="1314614" timestamp="1351610945"]
When you put backups on, you cannot expect them not to play well. Most of those kids will probably never play if the score is always close. I'm pretty sure they have parents on the stands that want to see them score, or do something they'll be proud of. Lets not put an unfair expectation on the backups. It's football.
[/quote]AMEN!!

[quote name="bigdog" post="1314623" timestamp="1351611270"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=105446.msg1314600#msg1314600 date=1351609803]
[quote author=Farmer Fran link=topic=105446.msg1314576#msg1314576 date=1351608801]
If a team is throwing the ball with a big lead that is running up the score, but if a team is running the ball and still scoring, then the other team needs to learn how to tackle ;)
[/quote]

I agree with this, I know some people in the surrounding area were upset about the Vidor/Lumb score because it was so high.  However, Vidor wasn't out to keep the score running up out of spite or anything else.  When you put 2nd and 3rd string in and they run the ball and continue to score because the opposing team just can't tackle what are you supposed to do??  Kneel at the 1 yard line and give the ball to the opposing team?
[/quote]

Ned had a chance to score again with the backups against Ozen at the end of the game,  we kneeled on the 3 yard line to end the game.
[/quote]
At the end of a game thats OK (still demoralizing, but ok), but to do that in the 3rd quarter is totaly humiliating to the battered opposition. Playing backups in a blowout is standard, but I would never ask those kids that don't get to play often to take it easy when they do get in....Let 'em get after it for the most part.

I have been on both ends of the situation coaching. I always thought it was MORE of a slap in the face when coaches didn't send their kids to score when they easily could have (baseball), and running out of bounds instead of scoring. I agree with running the ball (and therefore the clock). Guess I am old school but i would rather take a but whipping honestly then have mercy plays. Remember, the backups want to play and do well. Sometimes things just don't go your way (sometimes in real life also).

Its Football You Cant Show Up N Assume Just because Your Getting blown Out The Coach Should Let Up............Nope Not At All Kids Work Hard During Practice To Exacute On Game Day If I Have A Rb Tryna Get To A Scholarship Am I To Tell Him Dont Try To Score because You Might Hurt The Other Teams Feelings .....Its A Man Game

The most important lesson I've learned from sports is how to be not only a gracious winner, but a good loser as well. Not everyone wins all the time, as a matter of fact, no one wins all the time. Winning is the easy part, losing is really tough. But, you learn more from one loss than you do from a million wins. You learn a lot about sportsmanship. I mean, it's really tough to shake the hand of someone who just beat you, and it's even harder to do it with a smile. If you can learn to do this and push through that pain, you will remember what that moment is like the next time you win and have a better sense of how those competitors around you feel. This experience will teach you a lot on and off the field!"
- Amy Van Dyken

Amen, one of the main purposes of athletics in high school are to teach life lessons. In the real world, nobody is gonna let up or give you anything because they feel sorry for you. In life and in football, if youre getting your butt handed to you, you need to learn to suck it up, deal with it, and move on. learn something from it. Too many people in this world today are worried about making sure no ones feelings are hurt. Thats life folks. Ive had my fair share of butt whippings and dealt out quite a few also. And I was never embarrased or hurt when we got slaughtered. I think the fans and parents are bothered more than players. Im not saying throw hail mary's when youre up by 50..but if your any kind of competitor the last thing you want is for someone to take it easy on you.

punching someone in the pile = bad sportsmanship
old fashioned butt whoopin = someone needs to get better  ;D

The whole thread seems to be about Vidor scoring 66 on Lumberton.  I was at that game and knowing the staff at Vidor like I do, I can tell you they didnt run the score up.  The starters were being replaced in the 3rd quarter.  I can tell you that those 2nd and 3rd stringers for the Pirates went out to play ball.  You cant tell kids not to play hard.  The Pirates dont throw the ball, they run it.  No better way to get the clock to keep running and end the game than by running it.  Lumberton is just having a bad year.  Those kids on the Lumberton side of the ball fought all game long and I was impressed with their mental attitude to keep going even though they knew after awhile that they couldnt win.  I have seen games where a team ran the score up and believe me, the Vidor/Lumberton game wasnt it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder