WEST ORANGE-STARK VS. BEAUMONT CENTRAL BROADCAST/WO-S WINS 14-0

WOSgrad

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1272984" timestamp="1347750633"]
I agree with you that "NO" Team in the area (GT) has much of a chance to reach the title game muchless win a state championship. But I can promise you this, teams around the state of Texas know who WOS and Newton are. Regardless if they make it to that title game are not. Even "NOW" as you say they know and they also know they will have a battle on their hands.  I agree WOS has not made the noise in 3A like everyone thought but that being said anything can happen on any given friday night. Did not read the whole thread got in on the end but just an observation that If kids do quit the mustang program and I am sure they do, it is because they could not handle the hard work or discipline that is required to succeed. I say let them quit and if you only have 11 left then that 11 will fight till the end. It is all about being hungry and motivated. Some kids have it, some don't.  Plain and simple.
[/quote]

Well said. 

Mr. mightymouse, there is no reason for WO-S or any other 3A team to play a 5A school.  Even though I'm sure WO-S would make it interesting against teams like PAM and WB, there is no meaningful objective except to discover how well a 3A school could hang with the bigger schools, and that accomplishes nothing in the long run.  But, I think you and many others would be surprised at how strong the level of play is among the really good 3A schools.  There are a handful that could beat more than a few 5A schools.  I'm not saying WO-S could beat PAM, but I am saying they would provide strong competition.  By the way...just for the record, the first time WO-S scrimmaged PAM a few years back, WO-S outscored them 20-7.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but it did happen. 

I found it amusing that you said, "LCM is on the rise."  It is true that some kids quit WO-S football because they cannot handle to workout and disciplinary demands from the program and coaches.  That's been the case since 1984 and it will continue as long as Cornel Thompson is there.   

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1272984" timestamp="1347750633"]
I agree with you that "NO" Team in the area (GT) has much of a chance to reach the title game muchless win a state championship. But I can promise you this, teams around the state of Texas know who WOS and Newton are. Regardless if they make it to that title game are not. Even "NOW" as you say they know and they also know they will have a battle on their hands.  I agree WOS has not made the noise in 3A like everyone thought but that being said anything can happen on any given friday night. Did not read the whole thread got in on the end but just an observation that If kids do quit the mustang program and I am sure they do, it is because they could not handle the hard work or discipline that is required to succeed. I say let them quit and if you only have 11 left then that 11 will fight till the end. It is all about being hungry and motivated. Some kids have it, some don't.  Plain and simple.
[/quote]

Overall, I agree that football in the triangle is down the past few years. I disagree that no one has a chance to win the championship. WOS was two games away from playing in the state champ and PAM was one. Though Newton is not in the triangle per say they have a chance and don't forget Community Christian in Orange has a chance.

Yes, kids quit our program because of the toughness or playing time, I know some. Every program has that. Not sure about LC-M being on the upswing..we do get transfers from LC-M. PAM should be proud of their recent record and I hope that 20 years from now they will have had the same success we have had.

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1273024" timestamp="1347752413"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=103084.msg1272984#msg1272984 date=1347750633]
[/quote]

Overall, I agree that football in the triangle is down the past few years. I disagree that no one has a chance to win the championship. WOS was two games away from playing in the state champ and PAM was one. Though Newton is not in the triangle per say they have a chance and don't forget Community Christian in Orange has a chance.

Yes, kids quit our program because of the toughness or playing time, I know some. Every program has that. Not sure about LC-M being on the upswing..we do get transfers from LC-M. PAM should be proud of their recent record and I hope that 20 years from now they will have had the same success we have had.
[/quote]

Good post man, not saying they can't just that it is not realistic to think it will happen every year, 5 or ten years.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1273046" timestamp="1347753619"]
I am from Orangefield, so I know about being realistic. LOL!!!!
[/quote]

Hey i will be the first to admit that WOS should have been better dropping down. What we didn't consider I think was that our talent base dipped some with the dwindling enrollment. I have a lot of friends on OF, I would love for ya'll to be up with the big dogs.

I do think that much like the Dallas Cowboys fan I am..your right it is unrealistic to think that we will win the champ every year. But that is why we are fans. We have been truly blessed at WOS to have had the success we have had. Not many schools have that kind of track record in double the length of time. Sometimes I think we get a little too used to winning and that is when we get bit in the ass when we should have won a game.

Honesty, this is rock bottom.  We lost to a school that had about 16 or 17 suited up players.  Although both defenses played lights out, WO-S did just enough to win on offense.  Which is good for them.  Us?  2 trips in the red zone with NO points to show for it, receivers dropping passes (with the exception of G. Mitchell), offensive linemen that don't know how to block, and finally, 'staff' that couldn't year open a wet paper bag without the help of an Instruction manual.  Those guys didn't have depth at all.  We threw no screen passes.  We lined up in the I formation. ONCE.  We Throw a slant pass for a gain of 10 yards, never to go back to it again.  We run an option. Play that hadn't worked in 3 years and counting.  WO-S got their  first  first down with 3 mins left in the first half.  You should win games when your  defense is fired up line that.  But once again, our staff finds a way to bungle that up.  There's NO reason at all to be shut out at home by a team that has 75% of it's team going both ways.  He stings will do great in that district, but they better shore that offense up and get creative, or it'll be an early playoff exit again.  Central, Catch the passes for crying out loud and it'll be a lot easier.  You may even be able to run the ball decently for a change.  At the rate we're going, we'll get the last  spot at best.    And that's only because our district is so top heavy.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1273073" timestamp="1347754821"]
Honesty, this is rock bottom.  We lost to a school that had about 16 or 17 suited up players.  Although both defenses played lights out, WO-S did just enough to win on offense.  Which is good for them.  Us?  2 trips in the red zone with NO points to show for it, receivers dropping passes (with the exception of G. Mitchell), offensive linemen that don't know how to block, and finally, 'staff' that couldn't year open a wet paper bag without the help of an Instruction manual.  Those guys didn't have depth at all.  We threw no screen passes.  We lined up in the I formation. ONCE.  We Throw a slant pass for a gain of 10 yards, never to go back to it again.  We run an option. Play that hadn't worked in 3 years and counting.  WO-S got their  first  first down with 3 mins left in the first half.  You should win games when your  defense is fired up line that.  But once again, our staff finds a way to bungle that up.  There's NO reason at all to be shut out at home by a team that has 75% of it's team going both ways.  He stings will do great in that district, but they better shore that offense up and get creative, or it'll be an early playoff exit again.  Central, Catch the passes for crying out loud and it'll be a lot easier.  You may even be able to run the ball decently for a change.  At the rate we're going, we'll get the last  spot at best.    And that's only because our district is so top heavy.
[/quote] whoa  :o

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1273073" timestamp="1347754821"]
[/quote]

hang in there Soulja..dropped passes and penalties really hurt you last night. Your right about our offense. We have (and we can) pass the ball better. We have to take shots downfield and over the middle or others will just put their guys out in the flat like ya'll did. Your a good team. If I was a coach i'd be concerned about the fact that players are hanging heads with a whole quarter to play. Good luck, yes ya'll have a good enough team to make a playoff appearence. Really liked the speed of your D.

[quote name="Big Ford" post="1272132" timestamp="1347689075"]
[quote author=D3zii link=topic=103084.msg1271967#msg1271967 date=1347683952]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=103084.msg1271699#msg1271699 date=1347679039]
Central does well when the QB can't throw.  Mitchell hasn't improved over the 3 years and neither has the play calling.  Defense was outstanding considering the short fields they had to defend.  Put Mitchell in the secondary and switch back to the wishbone is the only way Central can win consistantly
[/quote]

Hmm not to say your wrong, but look at the talent Mitchell had his Fresh and Soph year. He had at the very least, 3 good recivers and 2 good backs to get the ball to and take the pressure off him. He was surronded by playmakers. Last season and seems the same this season, he doesnt really have alot of players around him which is rare for a central team. Ive seen the kid play ball and throw. He has all the mechanics to be a great one. Just no one to get the ball to.
[/quote]

SFA85, you are so correct.  I said a couple of years ago when they were trying to play sissy ball (spread) that they should just play Vidor's style of offense.  Yes I said that seriously.  We line up with 2 and 4 receivers but every body knows that our passing isn't a serious threat.  If we do have a QB that can accurately get the receivers the ball, they can't catch it.

I've watched this kid since he first stepped in his freshman year in a playoff game in Baytown.  I was like man he is going to be special.  Well he hasn't failed us, the coaching staff at Central has failed him and us.  They have not progressed with his development at all.  I bet if he had been a Bruin or Panther, he would probably have some decent scholarship offers.  Stump worked wonders with what he had and Nelson seems to be doing fine too.  Not us.  We have another special QB in the pipeline, I guess we'll just waste him away too...

Central has more athletes then the other 2 schools in Beaumont hands down in my opinion.  But due to coaching, they don't utilize and progress with them in the correct manner. 

If Central fails to make the playoffs for 2 years in a row, it SHOULD be time for a change at the top with NO holdovers.  And stop hiring these guys from here, they are too budy budy with the players.  Instead of being like Suggs and Stowers, there to coach football, not make friends.  That's the real reason we had playoff runs back then...
[/quote]Preach, Jaguar!

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1273084" timestamp="1347755191"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=103084.msg1273073#msg1273073 date=1347754821]
[/quote]

hang in there Soulja..dropped passes and penalties really hurt you last night. Your right about our offense. We have (and we can) pass the ball better. We have to take shots downfield and over the middle or others will just put their guys out in the flat like ya'll did. Your a good team. If I was a coach i'd be concerned about the fact that players are hanging heads with a whole quarter to play. Good luck, yes ya'll have a good enough team to make a playoff appearence. Really liked the speed of your D.
[/quote]Thanks.  I agree with you totally.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1273453" timestamp="1347771414"]
If there is more to be said about this game, let it  be said.  After that move on.  In other words , y'all won't be dictating when we 'move on'.
[/quote]

I agree aslong as the game is talked about, not who is better between WOS and PAM. The subject was changing, thats why I said move on. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder