best players in the area

Guest Cardinal12

Dishon, Stringer, and Coleman should get some votes for that. Dishon probally is either 1 or 2 in this area. You gota be crazy not to put him there.

I think Dishon is a top 10 in this area. Coleman needs to get on base a little more and Stringer is a good pitcher but needs to be more consistent, but with him,angelle,and haymon they should go far. I heard Haymon had a bad outing against nederland, anyone know what happened or was it just nederland came out swinging??

Midcounty04 and Will11 these guys are good but i believe you have to take a few more guys into consideration...Schneider from LCM has probably the best glove around but his small hitting bat hurts him at times. Ferguson from WB is another power hitting MIF who can play with some good competition. Buchanan and the catcher from LCM (whose name I cannot remember) are 2 guys that are solid behind the plate and can swing it with the best of them. Then you have Alvis from Jasper who is a player....just to throw it out there

I was mainly talking of the Pitchers who can also play other positions at a high level.

I agree about the ones you speak of and the LCM kid is Rowlle, I think thats how you spell it, he has one of the best swings in the game and is sure to be a D1 pick next year.

Well, since PNG only has 2 wins all season, I'm not sure the '2/3rd of their wins' calculation works out. I did not see Powell pitch this weekend but did see McInnis and he was nowhere near 87-89. He was low to mid 80s at best. I do think Powell is a very good player, both as a LHP and offensively.

Keko McGalin (#11) from Lumberton is a very good player. He doesn't get much hype because Lumberton hasn't done as well in the past. This year though he is hovering around .390 and already has around 8-9 stolen bases. Not to mention the fact that he is 1-0 on the mound. I see him cracking the top ten toward the end of the year.

Guest bigred99

Well' date=' since PNG only has 2 wins all season, I'm not sure the '2/3rd of their wins' calculation works out. I did not see Powell pitch this weekend but did see McInnis and he was nowhere near 87-89. He was low to mid 80s at best. I do think Powell is a very good player, both as a LHP and offensively.[/quote']

I like the Powell kid, he's a throwback, I would have him in my top 10.

Just for kicks, I looked at our Preseason 1st Team and evaluated that some 5-10 games into the season:

MVP -- Ehlert-LCM (so far, he is still the best all-around player in the area. He, in my view, is the best pitcher and 1 of the best position players).

MVP Candidates -- Alvis (JAS), Angelle (BC) and Serna (WB). On the MVP list, I'd put Alvis and Serna ahead of Angelle based on their offensive performances so far...but these are the next 3 still.

P -- Ehlert, Angelle, Smith, Serna and Harwood. I think these guys have all done well so far this year.

C -- Buchanan-PNG (hurt and now not playing unti mid-March at the earliest). I love this kid and his absence has hurt PNG but I'd make a change here. I'd probably move Rowell (LCM) to this spot or maybe Barrera from HF.

1B -- Womack-LCM (he's done well but so has 2nd teamer John Michael Falgout from WB. Either one is a worthy pick here right now).

2B -- Ferguson-WB (still hitting the ball a ton and fielding better than any other area middle infielder. Solid pick here).

3B -- Alvis -JAS (no question here).

SS--Schneider-LCM (sweet fielder and solid on-base guy. Murphy has hit well and pitched well so far for WB but Schneider is the 'dean of defense' here).

INF--Murphy-WB and Riley-WOOD (Murphy stays but I'm soft on Riley right now. Larid from NED could be the other pick here.

OF -- Armstrong (WB), Dishon (BC), Johnson (PNG) and Mosley (NED). Armstrong and Dishon stay for sure. I'd probably drop Johnson and am unsure about Mosley (I just haven't seen enough of their games yet). If I don't put Powell (PNG) in at utility then I put him as one of the OF.

UTIL -- Rowell (LCM), Dugas (LCM) and McInnis (PNG). Dugas stays for sure. Rowell stays either at UTIL or as C. McInnis would probably go. I'd put Powell in here and/or 1 of the WOS guys (Ayers or Sparks).

I also need to find a place for Neal (HF) and McFarlan (NED). In any event, you find the Top 10 or Top 20 or whatever out of this group. That doesn't mean that the ones NOT in that list aren't good -- they're very good. I just think this represents the 'best of the best'.

As far as the other lists, I think WILL11 is off base (no one from WB? no Alvis? ). Midcounty04 has a pretty good list of some of the best pitchers but misses the rest (as his later post admits).

By the way, it would make this all more interesting (and scientific) if everyone would get/post their team stats. I've only seen 2 or 3 team's stats and its hard to judge without all of the info.

Thanks....

Guest bulldogsbaseballfan

i agree that arron mcfarland deserve to be mention on that list i have being watching him since little league and baseball is his love.and he only a soph. play ba excellent 1st base and has a good eye at the plate and just hits the ball hard ,

There are a lot of really good players throughout SE Texas...and sometimes 'we' miss 'em. The McFarland kid is one. Another who quietly does a superb job is Hart, the kid up in Jasper (he's a soph, I believe). He gets somewhat overshadowed by Alvis but he was All District (don't know if he was 1st or 2nd team) and (I believe) newcomer of the year. He got thrown into the fire by being moved from OF and SS and has responded very well for Bulldogs. These are just a ton of really good, young players coming up in our ranks. These are just a couple but they are worth watching anytime you see either of the Bulldogs (Nederland or Jasper) play.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder