Is #2 Newton overated?

[quote name="BunaBoy84" post="1239937" timestamp="1343262955"]
Newton better worry about winning district before they think about state.
[/quote]I highly doubt they will be tested in district. Maybe EC can challenge the team they have this year but they wont beat em.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1239831" timestamp="1343244835"]
[size=10pt][b]look at what they're returning. They're my pick to win state in their division. DCTF might have it right with their ranking.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

For a change?

I've seen a lot of Newton teams over the years ranked in the top 5 that did not rise to the occasion. This years team is an unknown in my opinion. They are going to have to prove themselves over the season for me to get excited. A lot of talent returning and moving up, but I'm not sure that will offset the weaknesses I saw last year. Some of the killer instinct and never give up of Newton teams in the past was missing and that is gonna have to resurface for them to make a legit run at another state title. Tackling ability, hustle all over the field instead of standing and watching are a couple more intangibles. They get team attitude like years past and lookout, but until then......

[quote name="Claude" post="1239829" timestamp="1343244678"]
Newton is ranked number 2 in the 2a division 1 AP poll , and play in one if the toughest districts(10-2a d1)  in the state.. Are they worthy of this ranking?
[/quote]
Newton looks tough and may make a run but I am not sure where everyone gets this "toughest district in the state" junk.

[quote name="tvc" post="1239947" timestamp="1343264776"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101260.msg1239831#msg1239831 date=1343244835]
[size=10pt][b]look at what they're returning. They're my pick to win state in their division. DCTF might have it right with their ranking.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

For a change?
[/quote]every once in a blue moon they get lucky  ;)

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1239941" timestamp="1343263369"]
[quote author=BunaBoy84 link=topic=101260.msg1239937#msg1239937 date=1343262955]
[/quote]I highly doubt they will be tested in district. Maybe EC can challenge the team they have this year but they wont beat em.
[/quote]

I agree with you.  Newton should be relatively deep, but I don't believe there will be that team that should really test them.   

In the end pre-season rankings are pre-season rankings.  You could really flip the top 5 or 6 in each poll and they would look good.  It may take a little time to see who may be a favorite. 

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1239941" timestamp="1343263369"]
[quote author=BunaBoy84 link=topic=101260.msg1239937#msg1239937 date=1343262955]
[/quote]

that's what everybody has been saying since they came into the district and have yet to win it.

Is the #2 ranking by DCTF and FNF accurate?  Well, will have to wait 'til about Christmas time to determine that.

Is there enough on this roster coming back to make a legitimate argument that they deserve that ranking?  OH YEAH!  A good leader and talented QB in D.J. Dean, two 1,000 yard rushers in Kevin Shorter and Brandon Johnson and most of the starters back from a defense that surrendered just 12 points a game last year. 

No, they are not overrated.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1240242" timestamp="1343358245"]
Is the #2 ranking by DCTF and FNF accurate?  Well, will have to wait 'til about Christmas time to determine that.

Is there enough on this roster coming back to make a legitimate argument that they deserve that ranking?  OH YEAH! [b] A good leader and talented QB in D.J. Dean, two 1,000 yard rushers in Kevin Shorter and Brandon Johnson and most of the starters back from a defense that surrendered just 12 points a game last year.  [/b]
No, they are not overrated.
[/quote]kinda why i pick them to win state this year.  ;)

you have to look at the other teams in the state that are usually strong and see what they have lost. a lot of the normally strong teams have lost a lot of good players. Newton's line will be sophmores, the line will be better and as the year goes on they will get even stronger. The skill players are back, the defense will be stronger. 2a ball depends on a little luck with injuries because they do not have the dept of larger class teams.
when u have winning programs such as Newton, WO-S, etc.. then a lot of the teams or people like Bunaboy become jealous. I can sure understand why Bunaboy is upset, looking back on the scores of the playoff games Newton had with them. A couple of years in the 3A district you will be disliking WO-S also.

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="1240328" timestamp="1343416666"]
you have to look at the other teams in the state that are usually strong and see what they have lost. a lot of the normally strong teams have lost a lot of good players. Newton's line will be sophmores, the line will be better and as the year goes on they will get even stronger. The skill players are back, the defense will be stronger. 2a ball depends on a little luck with injuries because they do not have the dept of larger class teams.
when u have winning programs such as Newton, WO-S, etc.. then a lot of the teams or people like Bunaboy become jealous. I can sure understand why Bunaboy is upset, looking back on the scores of the playoff games Newton had with them. [b]A couple of years in the 3A district you will be disliking WO-S also.[/b]
[/quote]ouch!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder