2012 West Brook Bruins Team Preview

[center][size=18pt][b][u][i]WEST BROOK BRUINS[/i][/u][/B][/size][/center]
[center][b][size=12pt]2011 Record: 6-5 Overall, 2-3 District (4th Place in 21-5A)[/center]

[size=12pt]Although hit hard in key spots by graduation, the 2011 West Brook Bruins managed to secure a spot in the Class 5A playoffs.  But 2012 will bring more of the same as only five starters return from the 2011 squad.  But perhaps the biggest change on the west side of Beaumont will be the man patrolling the sidelines as former head coach Craig Stump has departed for Atascocita.  But the new face is a familiar one as Kevin Flanigan, who has guided a number of teams to the playoffs in his two previous head coaching stops of Orangefield and Crosby.  Bruins fans are looking for that trend to continue.

[b][u][size=14pt]Coaching Staff[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Head Coach: Kevin Flanigan[/b]
Coaching Record:  94-71 overalll, 1st year at West Brook

[b]Assistant Coaches:[/b]
Eddie Hatch, Asst Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Inside Linebackers; Jeff Breaux, Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line; Marquis Johnson, Strength Coordinator/Outside Linebackers; Michael Keel, Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line; Eric Peevey, Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers; Don Smith, Defensive Line; Jack Pruitt, Defensive Line; Todd Paine, Secondary; Malcolm Isom, Running Backs; Blake Schmidt, Wide Receivers; Kellen Haynes, Quarterbacks; Heath Gerlufson, Secondary; Norman Abshere, Head Coach - Freshmen; Dennis Burrell, Freshmen; Steven Urguelles, Freshmen

[b][u][size=14pt]Stadium Information*[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Home Stadium: Dr. Carrol A. "Butch" Thomas Educational Support Center[/b]
Address: 5250 Bayou Willow Way, Beaumont, Texas 77707
Capacity: 10,600
Playing surface: Field turf

[b][u][size=14pt]2011 Results[/u][/b]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Score[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Ozen[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]24-7[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Central[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]20-14[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Aldine Eisenhower[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]27-21[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Katy[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7-42[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Tyler Lee[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]37-7[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Baytown Sterling#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]49-21[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Galena Park North Shore#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]3-17[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Port Arthur Memorial#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]27-32[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Channelview#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]37-34[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]La Porte#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]20-38[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Deer Park##[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]30-31[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[size=12pt]# - District games
## - Playoff games

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Offense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Offense: Multiple set
Returning starters: 1[/b]

Coach Flanigan will have a clean slate to start with as far as starters are concerned, but there will be some experience.  The likely triggerman for the Bruin offense will be senior Chris Clack (26-42, 335 yd, 3 TD passing, 4 carries for 40 yards rushing in limited action in 2011).  Joining Clark in the West Brook backfield will be junior running back Justin Hervey (20 carries, 89 yards, 4 TD in 2011) with senior running back Steven Wycoff (23 carries, 40 yards rushing, 3 catches for 12 yd, 1 TD receiving in 2011) and sophomore Demarcus Smith also getting some playing time.  The lone returning starter, senior wide receiver LaDarious Spearman (2nd team all district, 30 catches, 387 yards, 4 TD in 2011) will lead the Bruin receiver corp.  Senior Louis Perez and junior Andrew Bluiett will anchor the West Brook offensive line. 

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Defense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Defense: 3-4
Returning starters: 3[/b]

Of the three returning starters, two of them will be maning the West Brook front line as senior Jaron Green and junior Mathew Williams will be joined by senior Devaunte Smith. Senior outside linebacker Devin Padilla will lead the Bruin linebacker corp.  Seniors Justin Guillory and Michael McKey will lead the Bruin secondary.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Special Teams[/u][/b][/size]

Senior Diego Uribe will handle both place kicking and punting duties for West Brook.  Junior James Reed will be the primary kick returner.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Key Games[/u][/b][/size]

The Bruins will start off the season with their traditional first two legs of the Beaumont Bowl series with Ozen (August 31st) and Central (September 7th).  After contest with HISD schools Lamar and Chavez, West Brook will begin 21-5A by hosting La Porte on October 6th.  The annual game with Jefferson County rival Port Arthur Memorial will take place on November 2nd with the regular season concluding in Baytown as the Bruins take on Sterling on November 9th.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Schedule[/u][/b][/size]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Date[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Time[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Aug. 31[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Ozen[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 7[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Central[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 15[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston Lamar[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 21[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Houston Chavez (Barnett)[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 28[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]OPEN[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 6[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]La Porte#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 12[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Deer Park#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 19[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Channelview#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 26[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Galena Park North Shore#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 2[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Port Arthur Memorial#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 9[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Baytown Sterling#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]#-District Games

* Source:  Texas Stadium Database: http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1288
Helmets Courtesy of: http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1236106" timestamp="1342396954"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=101000.msg1236104#msg1236104 date=1342396018]
:o :o :D :D  They finnaly showed a little respect, huh?  Lol
[/quote]exactly. smh. about time. i like their new coach already.  ;)
[/quote]

Shows what little you guys know. The new coach did not pick the homecoming opponent for West Brook. The date was set by admins, not the coach.

Do you guys really believe the coach picks the homecoming opponent? Man, you guys need to get a little more educated on the "how to's" of running a school.

I may have to have you guys take an aptitude test for you two to be on the weekly preview shows.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1236123" timestamp="1342400931"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101000.msg1236017#msg1236017 date=1342373558]
who they play for homecoming??  ::)
[/quote]

Lol nobody told you guys to lose 42-16.  8)
[/quote]dont remind me.  ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1236109" timestamp="1342398874"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101000.msg1236106#msg1236106 date=1342396954]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=101000.msg1236104#msg1236104 date=1342396018]
:o :o :D :D  They finnaly showed a little respect, huh?  Lol
[/quote]exactly. smh. about time. i like their new coach already.  ;)
[/quote]

Shows what little you guys know. The new coach did not pick the homecoming opponent for West Brook. The date was set by admins, not the coach.

Do you guys really believe the coach picks the homecoming opponent? Man, you guys need to get a little more educated on the "how to's" of running a school.

I may have to have you guys take an aptitude test for you two to be on the weekly preview shows.
[/quote]Hey, I didn't say anything, man.  I was simply repeating what Buddy Garrity said indicating that it made me laugh.  ;D ;D ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Even though there is only one returning starter on that offense, with all of the injuries as well as rotation, a lot of guys saw time last year on that offense... Hervey and Wycoff had key roles at times and some of those younger guys like Clack got some valuable experience... I don't think this offense will set records, but they have potential in my opinion...  Only time will tell...

Like was said, Flanagan gets a clean slate to start with. But I like what I'm hearing out of the folks at WB, this year. It's likely going to be a different offense than what we're use to seeing. And when the defense gets accustomed to the 3/4 scheme, I think they will be ok. The key to this season, IMO, is staying focused and try to get better each week. There will be no "gimme" games, this season. When its all said and done, I think the Bruins will be in line for one of those playoff spots in the 215.

• 2 weeks later...
The offense is a no huddle spread attack that uses pace to keep defenses off balanced. The defense is attacking and a welcomed change from the sit back and lose scheme previously employed. I believe this is going to be a much better coached team on both sides of the ball,regardless of wins and losses.

[quote name="Yeoj" post="1249044" timestamp="1345708421"]
The offense is a no huddle spread attack that uses pace to keep defenses off balanced. The defense is attacking and a welcomed change from the sit back and lose scheme previously employed. I believe this is going to be a [b]much better coached team on both sides of the ball,regardless of wins and losses[/b].
[/quote]Better than Stump and Company?? Find that hard to believe.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1249187" timestamp="1345736268"]
[quote author=Yeoj link=topic=101000.msg1249044#msg1249044 date=1345708421]
The offense is a no huddle spread attack that uses pace to keep defenses off balanced. The defense is attacking and a welcomed change from the sit back and lose scheme previously employed. I believe this is going to be a [b]much better coached team on both sides of the ball,regardless of wins and losses[/b].
[/quote]Better than Stump and Company?? Find that hard to believe.
[/quote]
Actually coach Stump under achieved at West Brook! He out talented teams. For all the talent that passed through under his watch, he won 1 district title and never made it pass the third round of the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami