Bridge City OC Josh Smalley to be next Orangefield AD/HC

First, let's be careful of talking about how things went down with anything other than first hand knowledge of the process.  I say that as I was contacted by one of the applicants, who has read this thread and pointed to a few inaccuracies in the account of how the interviews were handled.

Second, let's be sure that we accurately direct our ire.  Although it appears to me that jacf's beef is with how the board handled things (if, indeed the information he received on how they handled things was correct).  And if that is the case, I, for one, am hard pressed to be real critical of someone given my pointed criticisms of some of the members of the search committee when the WO-S job came vacant last year.  For that matter, I can't fault with those who feel that it was the actions of the board and/or administration that hastened the departure of Brian Huckabay.

However, there is a point that the ire over the process appears to be directed at the new coach, in this case, Coach Smalley, whose only "crime" in the process was to believe that he is the best person to lead the Orangefield athletic football department and team going forward and proving the based upon the criteria set out by the OFISD and the seach committee.

There are good men within the OFISD who applied for the job at OF, who I hope can see their way to remain.  That being said, there is [b]no way[/b] that it can be said that the committee's decision to tap Josh Smalley as the next AD/HC at Orangefield was a wrong one.  He is someone who was popular amongst the athletes when he was there only a few years ago and it looks like his family is firmly entrenched in the Bobcat community already.  He developed a successful offense at Bridge City under Cris Stump and looks to be ready to keep Orangefield in the running for a playoff spot out of 21-3A.

All I am saying, is just be careful.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thrilled that my son gets to play his senior year for Coach Smalley.  My stepson, (a junior) now plans to play.  I have heard nothing but positives from the kids in the community.  By the same token I would be very dissapointed if the other coaches that interviewed didn't stay on board.  As far as I'm concerned, Coach Prouse is one of the best coaches we've ever had at OF.  I also believe that all of these guys are personal friends, and can definitely work together.  As I said, I'm excited for the kids first, the school and community, and for the Smalley family.  They will all serve as a tremendous asset.

[quote name="catfever" post="1230218" timestamp="1339543674"]
From what one of the applicants told me, only two of the people interviewed were going to be called back in.  There was no guarantee that it would be someone in house or an outside guy.  Maybe Admin didn't feel like it was necessary after the first interviews.  Sounds like sour grapes.  I hope he did have a backup plan.
[/quote]

No not sour grapes, like I said I like Josh and wish him well just in my opinion wasn't the most qualified overall. Just my opinion. And don't agree with the way things were handled with the Welch, Huck and this. Just my opinion.

Do I think OISD hired the right man, yes I do but in my opinion the way they did it was very unprofessional. They knew who they wanted to hire way before Huck left and even before they extended his contract. This hiring was no surprise to most in the community. All the admistration did was go through a legal formality by interviewing other applicants. But basicly the others applicants got dressed up for nothing and pretty much wasted their time. This was Corporate America at its finest. ;D ;D

[quote name="BOBCAT" post="1230187" timestamp="1339538383"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=100487.msg1230182#msg1230182 date=1339537475]
There was no taking sides on my part actually. A quick glance at the forum rules shows:

[b]18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.[/b]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

What a sad life you have !

Power trippin
[/quote]

I work with BOBCAT and he got banned because of this ! Thats ridiculous

Wish the Bobcats all the luck in the world, but as a former Bobcat it is very dissapointing to see the current state of OF. The whole Coach Huck situation saddens me, and is a prime example of why OF will have a hard time being an elite team, because as soon as athletics is "hard" here come the parents and the school board. Every year they have a Memorial to Coach Ed Peveto, he was VERY hard on his players, he would never be able to coach in Orangefield today. The school board would run him out of town for being to hard...

[quote name="Bobcat2003" post="1230388" timestamp="1339598551"]
Wish the Bobcats all the luck in the world, but as a former Bobcat it is very dissapointing to see the current state of OF. The whole Coach Huck situation saddens me, and is a prime example of why OF will have a hard time being an elite team, because as soon as athletics is "hard" here come the parents and the school board. Every year they have a Memorial to Coach Ed Peveto, he was VERY hard on his players, he would never be able to coach in Orangefield today. The school board would run him out of town for being to hard...
[/quote]

+1

[quote name="Gabe" post="1230182" timestamp="1339537475"]
There was no taking sides on my part actually. A quick glance at the forum rules shows:

[b]18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.[/b]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

Then the mods should be consistent at enforcing the rule. I believe Huckabay was bashed over and over. Nothing ever done. I agree with what the yahoo said was out of line but you guys need to be consistent at enforcing the rules if you are going to enforce them. I'm glad someone did in this case.

[quote name="Rizon" post="1230427" timestamp="1339610105"]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

Then the mods should be consistent at enforcing the rule. I believe Huckabay was bashed over and over. Nothing ever done. I agree with what the yahoo said was out of line but you guys need to be consistent at enforcing the rules if you are going to enforce them. I'm glad someone did in this case.
[/quote]

Be careful ! BOBCAT got banned for disagreeing with Gabe (mod) . Look on the page before this one to see why and tell me if you think that it was ridiculous .

You are right by the way !  They let everyone bash Huckaby and did nothing .

[quote name="BOBCAT" post="1230187" timestamp="1339538383"]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

Power trippin
[/quote]

This is what got BOBCAT banned !

Ok, I have been reading each post about why Josh is or is not the right guy for OF.  I remember about this time 3 years ago, when OF hired coach Huck, the same things were being posted about him.  Mainly because you posters felt that this coach or that coach didn't get a second interview or was told one thing and something else happened.  Bottom line was Coach Huck was hired and implemented his system, it worked and everyone loved him.  Why don't we give Josh a chance and let him put his system in and go from there.  I know that he is a players coach and when he was there before the kids loved him and they played hard for him.  I think he is for all sports and will treat each sport that is in season with the highest priority, both boys and girls.

I apologize for banning Bobcat. I actually did not mean to. I was looking through his profile and was explaining the process to someone. I did not mean for it to go through. I am going to undo it right now and once again do apologize for the mistake to everyone.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Gabe" post="1230449" timestamp="1339619030"]
I apologize for banning Bobcat. I actually did not mean to. I was looking through his profile and was explaining the process to someone. I did not mean for it to go through. I am going to undo it right now and once again do apologize for the mistake to everyone.
[/quote]

Oh, the power of NEW admins'.  Painful isn't it? ;D

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="purplepassion" post="1230430" timestamp="1339610463"]
[quote author=BOBCAT link=topic=100487.msg1230187#msg1230187 date=1339538383]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

Power trippin
[/quote]

This is what got BOBCAT banned !
[/quote]

Hey Gabe, I also think you are power trippin' with your new ADMIN designation.  Ban me if you wish - I assume you'll let me know. :(

[quote name="bulldog16" post="1230444" timestamp="1339616955"]
Ok, I have been reading each post about why Josh is or is not the right guy for OF.  I remember about this time 3 years ago, when OF hired coach Huck, the same things were being posted about him.  Mainly because you posters felt that this coach or that coach didn't get a second interview or was told one thing and something else happened.  Bottom line was Coach Huck was hired and implemented his system, it worked and everyone loved him.  Why don't we give Josh a chance and let him put his system in and go from there.  I know that he is a players coach and when he was there before the kids loved him and they played hard for him.  I think he is for all sports and will treat each sport that is in season with the highest priority, both boys and girls.
[/quote]

I think pretty much the whole community is behind Coach Smalley, I know I am. This whole deal is not about the hiring of Josh Smalley.

[quote name="Gabe" post="1230471" timestamp="1339624888"]
Funny how when a person apologizes you get nothing back. Yet make a mistake or do something not in line with the popular vote and you get run out of town.
And people wonder what is wrong with the world today. LOL
[/quote]

And you are suprised??  ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1230474" timestamp="1339625160"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=100487.msg1230471#msg1230471 date=1339624888]
Funny how when a person apologizes you get nothing back. Yet make a mistake or do something not in line with the popular vote and you get run out of town.
And people wonder what is wrong with the world today. LOL
[/quote]

And you are suprised??  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Sadly not a single iota.

Well, they might want to be glad it was Gabe that was the admin in question.  'Cause if it would have been me, he WOULD have gotten the permanent heave ho. 

I'll dismiss Tigervoice's posts because he comes up here with his tongue so firmly implanted in his cheek that he has to have it surgically detached on at least three occasions.  But to others there are rules to be followed.  Each and everyone of you, just like I did when I joined the site, read them and agreed to abide by them.  As staff members, we are charged by the site owner with enforcing those.  True, we don't catch all of them, but when we see them we must enforce them and that is all Gabe was doing by speaking up.  You can call it "power tripping" if you want, it doesn't matter to me.

And in this case, it is one that we do hold particularly close to the heart.  These coaches and players are a big part of this community.  Whether you like them or not, if you have a child involved in high school athletics, these men (and women) are a guiding force in your child's life.  I certainly don't envy men and women whose worth is decided on how a bunch of 15-18 years perform on, at most, 20 days out of the year.  Believe me, they know the shortcomings of there particular programs and those shortcomings bother them a heck of a lot more than they bother any of us, believe me.  We as a site, who ask these coaches for help without ever really offering them anything but a "please" and a "thank you," feel that the least that we can do is to minimize the angst that they have to face when frequenting this board....and yes they do.

Now, I can understand feeling frustration when the school you support is falling short and you want to express frustration.  Boards like these caters to exactly that.  However, there are limits that should be respected.  And when new coaches, before they even step on the field, are criticized simply because they have a beef with the school administrations....and I am not just talking about Coach Smalley......I saw it with the hiring of Kane Harris at Hamshire-Fannett, Marty Murr at Anahuac and Chris Babin at Deweyville....that is just flat out wrong, and it will not be tolerated.  Sorry if that offends.

Todd Broussard
Administrator
SETXsports.com

PS For anyone who thinks Gabe is a "new administrator" he has been in that role even longer than I have.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1230482" timestamp="1339627698"]
Well, they might want to be glad it was Gabe that was the admin in question.  'Cause if it would have been me, he WOULD have gotten the permanent heave ho. 

I'll dismiss Tigervoice's posts because he comes up here with his tongue so firmly implanted in his cheek that he has to have it surgically detached on at least three occasions.  But to others there are rules to be followed.  Each and everyone of you, just like I did when I joined the site, read them and agreed to abide by them.  As staff members, we are charged by the site owner with enforcing those.  True, we don't catch all of them, but when we see them we must enforce them and that is all Gabe was doing by speaking up.  You can call it "power tripping" if you want, it doesn't matter to me.

And in this case, it is one that we do hold particularly close to the heart.  These coaches and players are a big part of this community.  Whether you like them or not, if you have a child involved in high school athletics, these men (and women) are a guiding force in your child's life.  I certainly don't envy men and women whose worth is decided on how a bunch of 15-18 years perform on, at most, 20 days out of the year.  Believe me, they know the shortcomings of there particular programs and those shortcomings bother them a heck of a lot more than they bother any of us, believe me.  We as a site, who ask these coaches for help without ever really offering them anything but a "please" and a "thank you," feel that the least that we can do is to minimize the angst that they have to face when frequenting this board....and yes they do.

Now, I can understand feeling frustration when the school you support is falling short and you want to express frustration.  Boards like these caters to exactly that.  However, there are limits that should be respected.  And when new coaches, before they even step on the field, are criticized simply because they have a beef with the school administrations....and I am not just talking about Coach Smalley......I saw it with the hiring of Kane Harris at Hamshire-Fannett, Marty Murr at Anahuac and Chris Babin at Deweyville....that is just flat out wrong, and it will not be tolerated.  Sorry if that offends.

Todd Broussard
Administrator
SETXsports.com

PS For anyone who thinks Gabe is a "new administrator" he has been in that role even longer than I have.
[/quote]

Great post man. Very well written.

Just to calrify I hope nothing but the best for coach Smalley, I hope they win every game they play. I am just saddened by how the Coach Huch thing was handled, and its just frustrating when you have a really good coach and a couple of parents/school board members run a good guy out of town. Good luck to coach Smalley, but be warned do not enforce any discipline or standards, and don't win too many games or they might run you out of town too...

I personally hope Coach Smalley has a long and successful career at OF.  I also hope that several of the items of discipline that Huck brought to the program will be continued.  There is no question that the kids need a measure of discipline brought to the program.  I watched my oldest son cry when Smalley left back a few years ago. I didn't really know him at the time, but now I understand what he was upset about.  Smalley touches kids hearts wherever he goes, and now I get the chance to watch my youngest son play for him, and become a better young man from the experience.  If someone has a beef with an administrator or a school board member then by all means, look them up and discuss it with them.  However, it is time to get behind Coach Smalley and the rest of the coaches and be supportive of what they are bringing to the table.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder