Does this bother anyone else.....

Guest incognito123

Guest incognito123
or am I just too cynical?

I played D3 football in college.  Being a former d3 player, I know firsthand that no scholarships are offered from D3 schools to players.  You play because you love the game.  No one can tell you when you are finished playing, and d3 gives kids a chance to play in college.  d3 players are recruited, and coveted by the universities where they decide to play, so in no way am I taking a shot at kids playing D3 football.  As I stated before, many years ago, I was one of those kids!  I loved my time in the ASC and would do it again if I could go back that far!

My gripe is with newspapers and schools that say that these students signed scholarships with these d3 schools.  It's either a misunderstanding by the paper, or a blatant lie from the player or player's parents.  As a matter of fact, most of these players do not sign anything.  It is simply a verbal agreement to show up in early August to begin football practice.  I picked up the local newspaper the other day and read how a player from my area had signed a scholarship with a D3 school in Texas.  It went on and on about the scholarship he signed.  It drives me crazy! haha.  Maybe I am just sensitive. 

These students don't need the media to bolster their commitment by saying it was a "scholarship".  Fact is, even d3 players are a part of  a small percentage of TXHS players that will get to continue their playing careers in college.  Trust me, the players at thsoe universities are good!  There are no cakewalks.  Everyone was first team all district when you show up for practice in August.  We need to stop feeding into the idea that if you don't get a scholarship offer you are not a real collegiate athlete.  If you play d3 football, be proud of it.  No need to fabricte a scholarship to convince others it's a big deal.

Now stepping off of soapbox.!!

You know, I bet there are many folks in the media that are not aware that DIII colleges do not give athletic scholarships.  Heck if I didn't have a buddy who played at ETBU, I probably wouldn't be aware of it, either.

As long as the kid and signing the LOI's and their parents are aware of that there is no scholarship involved, I don't have that big of a problem with it.

[quote name="incognito123" post="1215848" timestamp="1335638216"]

I played D3 football in college.  Being a former d3 player, I know firsthand that no scholarships are offered from D3 schools to players.  You play because you love the game.  No one can tell you when you are finished playing, and d3 gives kids a chance to play in college.  d3 players are recruited, and coveted by the universities where they decide to play, so in no way am I taking a shot at kids playing D3 football.  As I stated before, many years ago, I was one of those kids!  I loved my time in the ASC and would do it again if I could go back that far!

My gripe is with newspapers and schools that say that these students signed scholarships with these d3 schools.  It's either a misunderstanding by the paper, or a blatant lie from the player or player's parents.  As a matter of fact, most of these players do not sign anything.  It is simply a verbal agreement to show up in early August to begin football practice.  I picked up the local newspaper the other day and read how a player from my area had signed a scholarship with a D3 school in Texas.  It went on and on about the scholarship he signed.  It drives me crazy! haha.  Maybe I am just sensitive. 

These students don't need the media to bolster their commitment by saying it was a "scholarship".  Fact is, even d3 players are a part of  a small percentage of TXHS players that will get to continue their playing careers in college.  Trust me, the players at thsoe universities are good!  There are no cakewalks.  Everyone was first team all district when you show up for practice in August.  We need to stop feeding into the idea that if you don't get a scholarship offer you are not a real collegiate athlete.  If you play d3 football, be proud of it.  No need to fabricte a scholarship to convince others it's a big deal.

[/quote]H-D had a player commit to a D3 school. Yes, local paper and others called it a signing and scholarship. lol.

Guest incognito123
The point is that there is no letter of intent.  No legally binding agreement.  Just a word from player to a coach that the player intends to enroll at that school, pay the tuition, play football. 

Guest incognito123
[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1215869" timestamp="1335642913"]
[quote author=incognito123 link=topic=99513.msg1215848#msg1215848 date=1335638216]

[/quote]H-D had a player commit to a D3 school. Yes, local paper and others called it a signing and scholarship. lol.
[/quote]

Who is the kid from HD whos going d3?  I was referring to an article about a kid from the town with a wal mart!  haha

[quote name="incognito123" post="1215848" timestamp="1335638216"]

[/quote]
Great post... Fact is everyone is not going to play D1 ball. Nothing negative there its just the numbers. My point is if a kid loves the game it should not mater " putting it in a nut shell" you play b/c you love the game. Those kids also have opportunity to advance to the next level.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1215951" timestamp="1335659940"]
H-D QB from last year. Oklahoma Panhandle State Bait and Tackle. lol. Good to see a kid get to play longer.
[/quote]If you like the computer so much, you might want to look up Oklahoma Panhandle State University and see that it is a D2 college.  As for as my child, I do not see what your problem is with him.  If he has wronged you in anyway, I will see to it that he apologizes to you in person.  As far as I know, noone stated he recieved a scholarship.  The university has offered him room and board and waived the out-of-state tuition.  If you would like to see his letter of intent I would like to show it to you.  It simply states that if you sign the letter of intent, you cannot play at any other college for one year.  Further more, I would appreciate it if you would not talk about my child anymore.

First off I would like to apologize for not knowing Oklahoma Panhandle State was a D2. I also should not have joked about the name of OPS. If you remember correctly, I rooted for and bragged about your son on this very website for 4 years. He has never did anything negative to me. Also if you read my post, I never said his name or went after his play or character in a negative way. I even said it was good to see a kid get to play ball longer. I understand a parent sticking up for their son. Good luck to your son on the gridiron and in the classroom, I will continue to root for him and all Bobcats. See yall around town.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1216036" timestamp="1335673898"]
First off I would like to apologize for not knowing Oklahoma Panhandle State was a D2. I also should not have joked about the name of OPS. If you remember correctly, I rooted for and bragged about your son on this very website for 4 years. He has never did anything negative to me. Also if you read my post, I never said his name or went after his play or character in a negative way. I even said it was good to see a kid get to play ball longer. I understand a parent sticking up for their son. Good luck to your son on the gridiron and in the classroom, I will continue to root for him and all Bobcats. See yall around town.
[/quote]I appreciate your apology and accept it with good feelings.  I have a new subject for you.  I have heard that there will not be an athletic banquet this year.  It is my understanding the Seniors and the athletes that will be awarded awards will be invited to the honors banquet and the others will get a b.b.q. meal during school one day and a play day.  I feel all the athletes deserve recognition for their hard work, even if they do not recieve an award.  Our school has lost a sense of pride if they are not willing to honor all the athletes. 

[quote name="Lets Play" post="1216049" timestamp="1335676804"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=99513.msg1216036#msg1216036 date=1335673898]
[/quote]I appreciate your apology and accept it with good feelings.  I have a new subject for you.  I have heard that there will not be an athletic banquet this year.  It is my understanding the Seniors and the athletes that will be awarded awards will be invited to the honors banquet and the others will get a b.b.q. meal during school one day and a play day.  I feel all the athletes deserve recognition for their hard work, even if they do not recieve an award.  Our school has lost a sense of pride if they are not willing to honor all the athletes.
[/quote]I agree there should be the regular athletic banquet. All the kids and parents have worked hard all year. Just because we are changing AD/HC, the kids should not be punished. Also tell the QB I may just come watch a game in Oklahoma, I work that area sometimes. I did after all, write on here about his football skills for 4 seasons. lol.

Guest Air Bisquit
I know my son signed with a NAIA school and he has recieved a partial academic & (athletic scholarship).
That is what the letter of intent said when he signed, Also gave the amount that the University would be paying.

There was 4 school that were recruiting him pretty heavy.

ETBU D3. No athletic but Academic money based on ACT scores.
Howard Payne D3. No athletic but Academic money based on ACT scores.

Bellhaven NAIA.  Partial athletic and academic money based on ACT scores.
Southwestern NAIA. Partial athletic and academic money based on ACT scores.

He chose to go the NAIA route.

Guest incognito123
NAIA is a viable option for non scholy players.  NAIA offers scholarships based on athletic merit. 

And just as a sidenote, I never questioned 55's motives with his comments about the HD QB's commitment to the Oklahoma school.  As many times as we have heard him talk about how great the QB at HD is, I knew he meant no disrespect.  I totally expect the other 4 kids he always talks about to get some opportunities to play somewhere also.  He seems really knowledgeable about Bobcat football.  And with Coach Finney coming on board, who knows how good those other kids will end up being.  Coach Finney took a sub par Maud squad from a losing record to 12-1 in one season.  Two players off of that team ended up starting at TCU.  If those underclassmen have any talent at all, and they're willing to be coached, they will flourish.  Coach Finney is the best thing to happen to HD football since Randy Copeland. (No disrespect to Coach Barbay, he was great too.  I just reference Copeland because he hired Barbay as an assistant so he gets that credit! haha)

[quote name="incognito123" post="1216094" timestamp="1335713801"]
NAIA is a viable option for non scholy players.  NAIA offers scholarships based on athletic merit. 

And just as a sidenote, I never questioned 55's motives with his comments about the HD QB's commitment to the Oklahoma school.  As many times as we have heard him talk about how great the QB at HD is, I knew he meant no disrespect.  I totally expect the other 4 kids he always talks about to get some opportunities to play somewhere also.  He seems really knowledgeable about Bobcat football.  And with Coach Finney coming on board, who knows how good those other kids will end up being.  Coach Finney took a sub par Maud squad from a losing record to 12-1 in one season.  Two players off of that team ended up starting at TCU.  If those underclassmen have any talent at all, and they're willing to be coached, they will flourish.  Coach Finney is the best thing to happen to HD football since Randy Copeland. (No disrespect to Coach Barbay, he was great too.  I just reference Copeland because he hired Barbay as an assistant so he gets that credit! haha)
[/quote]Thanks pal.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1216051" timestamp="1335677966"]
[quote author=Lets Play link=topic=99513.msg1216049#msg1216049 date=1335676804]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=99513.msg1216036#msg1216036 date=1335673898]
[/quote]I agree there should be the regular athletic banquet. All the kids and parents have worked hard all year. Just because we are changing AD/HC, the kids should not be punished. Also tell the QB I may just come watch a game in Oklahoma, I work that area sometimes. I did after all, write on here about his football skills for 4 seasons. lol.
[/quote]Athletic Booster Club voted not to have the sports banquet.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1216206" timestamp="1335753975"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=99513.msg1216051#msg1216051 date=1335677966]
[/quote]

When did the Booster club start putting on the athletics banquet?  When I was in school there, the school did it.

[quote name="The Phoenix" post="1216259" timestamp="1335793683"]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=99513.msg1216206#msg1216206 date=1335753975]
[quote author=H-D BOBCAT 55 link=topic=99513.msg1216051#msg1216051 date=1335677966]
[/quote]

When did the Booster club start putting on the athletics banquet?  When I was in school there, the school did it.
[/quote]The school administration in conjuction with the Booster Club, voted to not hold the traditional regular banquet. There is a big shindig in the works and I believe the kids will actually enjoy it better. Coach Finney will see to the kids being rewarded with a great memorable experience.

[quote name="Lets Play" post="1216049" timestamp="1335676804"]
[/quote]

1st...OPSU is an NAIA school..  doesn't really matter the division, NAIA is quite a bit different than NCAA.

2nd...how are they going to have an athletic banquet?..  didn't all of the coaches leave?  I know that when I was in high school the coach of the sport spoke about the team and presented the awards for that team.

Answer to topic...NO.  I think every kid that works hard and gets the attention of a school no matter which division deserves to be recongized. It should'nt matter if they play for a major D1 or NAIA we should be glad that kids from our area are being noticed and should support them and their families. Remember not every pro player started at a top school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder