is it time for gilligan to retire???

Guest basketball25

Guest basketball25
I have been saying for  3 yrs now its time for gilligan to retire so this program will stop going in a direction it shouldn't be going and people get mad at me and saying thats uncalled for to say!! Do yall think this year will be his last yr?  6-12 right now and 0-4 in conference play, I know its still early but its not looking good!! Lamar is 51-48 the last 3 years in conference ,is lamar baseball satisfied with barley being a .500 team in the southland conference the last 3 years?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="baseball25" post="1198650" timestamp="1331999758"]
I have been saying for  3 yrs now its time for gilligan to retire so this program will stop going in a direction it shouldn't be going and people get mad at me and saying thats uncalled for to say!! Do yall think this year will be his last yr?  6-12 right now and 0-4 in conference play, I know its still early but its not looking good!! Lamar is 51-48 the last 3 years in conference ,is lamar baseball satisfied with barley being a .500 team in the southland conference the last 3 years?
[/quote]

Do you want the job? ;) ;D

Talent is down but I am not sure that is Gilligan's fault. But, it may be time for him to step aside.

The program, like the Head Coach, is old, tired and complacent.  Given the talent in this area, there is no reason for Lamar to be as 'middle of the road' as they are (actually, they are worse than middle of the year -- they are in the ditch this year).

Talent (or lack thereof) is on the coaching staff as well.  They recruit them and the coach them.  I'd clean house and start over with some energy and an attitude that we can win.  Baseball is a sport where a so-called mid major can compete. 

Gilligan can coach a game, get in 18 and have a few pops with the old guard.  That is great for him but not the program. 

My two cents.

Baseball - I have agreed with you the whole time.  He nneds to step aside.  However, I don't think the administration will do anything about it.  It's hard to replace a guy who coaches a team that plays on a street named after that coach.

That being said, he does need to step aside and a new up and coming assistant somewhere needs to replace him.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="1199113" timestamp="1332175765"]
Baseball - I have agreed with you the whole time.  He nneds to step aside.  However, I don't think the administration will do anything about it.  It's hard to replace a guy who coaches a team that plays on a street named after that coach.

That being said, he does need to step aside and a new up and coming assistant somewhere needs to replace him.
[/quote]

Isn't those up and coming assistants responsible for recruiting?

Gilligan has his street named after him.  He has his 2000 wins.  He has a failing, declining program.  It's past time for him to retire.  the administration here won't do it.  It's up to him.  I remember when, on April 1st several years ago, he announced on KFDM that he was leaving to be a pitching coach/scout for a Minor league team.  I was shocked and upset, til I remembered it was April Fool's day.  Now I look forward to the announcemnent.  We need a housecleaning. 

[quote name="sticky" post="1201727" timestamp="1332620389"]
[quote author=Ruckdad link=topic=97698.msg1199113#msg1199113 date=1332175765]

[/quote]

Isn't those up and coming assistants responsible for recruiting?
[/quote]

I meant an up and coming assistant somewhere else!

Guest basketball25
I want to hear ShlyKBMT thoughts on the situation because he has been one of those that doesn't think gilligan should retire!!! I want to see what his thoughts are now

My thoughts are exactly the same. I just don't bother to get in the middle of all this. By all means please find someone of his caliber to come in here to take over or give Coach G a call yourself to give him advice. Players making errors in key situations and a pitcher pulling a muscle doesn't have a lot to do with the manager. 4 Regional Appearances in 10 years. It's amazing how successful baseball players just like Kevin Millar calling in last night on his show, thank G for everything and praise the guy but everyone seems to know better. Millar also added today's players think they know it all and would be much better if they would actually take to heart things being taught. Texas State started out on a roll and were ranked in some polls and now sit at 4-5 in SLC Play guess it's time for Ty Harrington to go as well I mean his teams have blown SLC Touranments over and over and now this........

Gilligan has lost the team nobody respects him as coach. The guy is a quack. He doesn't care about the players just about his own personal records or accolades. If anybody at that university knew how a baseball program is supposed to be run they would see Lamar is the exact opposite of that, it's a joke. I wonder why no alumni ever show up to see Gilligan on a regular basis? Hmmm... think about that one. Gilligan has personally destroyed that program because it's all about him. It's really sad because with the facilities they have it could be stellar. The sad thing is nobody will push him out because he is in good with the administration and they think he does no wrong. Gilligan is the root of the problem but the rest of the paid coaching staff is just as bad. It ridiculous, if this season isn't the writing on the wall I don't know what is. I mean the basketball team finally let Roc go and look what happened. Pat Knight came in and held players accountable for their actions on and off the field and ran a tight ship. It's time to clean house before this gets any worse.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine