is it time for gilligan to retire???

Guest basketball25

People only talk about what goes on inside the lines. What about outside the lines or how players are treated? Gilligan is paid to manage but this isn't the big leagues he is also supposed to be a teacher and a role model. Both of which he is not at all. I understand separation between coach and player, coaches can't be buddy buddy with players but Lamar players do NOT have a personal relationship with Gilligan at all. The student athletes are with the baseball team more than their own families. So in turn you should feel like your teammates and coaching staff are an extension of your immediate family and that is not the case at Lamar.

The main problem is society is content with mediocrity and doesn't thrive to be the best at anything they do. Too many people are ok with the status quo. Its expected nowadays to pay your money and get a sno-cone after the game and a trophy at the end of the year even if you didn't win one game all year, it's disgusting. Just like Gilligan he will have some lame excuse and say " we tried hard" and he will move onto next year no big deal and nobody at Lamar gives a damn. Until somebody gets tired of the same old "good try" bs nothing will change.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shy...they've gone after hs coaches for less.  In press, in community, on this board. 

Job performance is done for all of us, even for those who work fast food.  You are measured for productivity.  And that's how it should be.  School they give you grades.

LU is not in Siberia, it's a D1 school that's building everyday for big and better.  Coach G doesn't have lure them in, the program speaks loud and clear.

However, none of his superiors wants to STAND UP to Coach G. FACT.  You can quote me on that one. 

As I have repeated, just because you can stay somewhere doesn't mean you should.

Coach G should retire and do the best for his legacy, no matter if he squeezes out something positive or not this season. 

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="1204871" timestamp="1333243539"]
OK like I said I won't ever agree with y'all. Four out of the five seasons when Gilligan left the first time Lamar had a losing record and I think the program would be worse off without him just like then.
[/quote]

thats because they hired a clown in Perkins. He was a joke at LU and when coached at WB.

Guest basketball25
yea and look what bowden did for the fsu football program!!! and then look what he did,  he stayed 4 years to long and now jimbo fisher has to rebuild it into a top 5 program once again, If bowden would have retired when he needed to then the program wouldn't be in the situation its in now. Samething for paterno he was hard headed and stayed 8 years to long at penn st and look what penn st is going through now. The longer gilligan stays the program is going to get worse, no doubt he has done alot of great thiings for lamar baseball and lamar university but its time for him to hang it up he used to be a great coach and recruiter but he isn't great anymore!!!

• 1 month later...
A coach must have the respect of his players to be a good coach.  The players need to feel that no matter what their coach will have their back. There are many former and present players who do not respect Gilligan.  They do not play baseball for him they play for their team and themselves.  I cannot tell you how many times in the past 10 years I have sat and listened to these young men express their disdain for him.  Yes there are players who have been drafted that come back and work out.  Some admire him but many do not.  Whoever addressed the issue of past players coming back to watch games.  I have several that work for me that will not step foot at the Beck as long as he is there.  A lot goes on that the general public does not hear about and it all does not have to do with coaching or baseball.  It is a shame that a once great coach has allowed this program to deteriorate so bad.  Recruiting...we do get great talent,,,,it is what he does to their heads and hearts after they get here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245