Yates heads back to Austin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1191982" timestamp="1330835979"]
The matchups will not be determined until Sunday morning...I doubt they will seed Yates and Kimball in the semi....they will likely be seeded 1 and 2 and meet in the final.
[/quote]

Yates and Kimball could play in a semifinal. The top two seeds are determined by win %. Those two are San Antonio Alamo Heights at 33-2 and Yates at 32-5. Kimball is 31-5 while Denton Ryan is 23-11. Depending on the coin flip, Yates and Kimball could square off in a semifinal game.

I am hoping they do not and meet in the finals.

Quite a bit of AAU activity happens around U of H and TSU in the summer.  Yates is around the corner.  Wise is a AAU administrator/coach whatever you want to call it.  Wise becomes Yates coach, and the program takes off.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it all out.  Year in and out there is not that much talent naturally occurring in 3rd ward. 

But hey, the UIL can't or won't do anything about it.  It is what it is, probably for a long time.  They could dominate 3A for decades, just like the Canyon girls.  I hear they recruit also.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="1192007" timestamp="1330860483"]
Quite a bit of AAU activity happens around U of H and TSU in the summer.  Yates is around the corner.  Wise is a AAU administrator/coach whatever you want to call it.  Wise becomes Yates coach, and the program takes off.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it all out.  Year in and out there is not that much talent naturally occurring in 3rd ward. 

But hey, the UIL can't or won't do anything about it.  It is what it is, probably for a long time.  They could dominate 3A for decades, just like the Canyon girls.  I hear they recruit also.
[/quote]
Since you are not from Houston, I will not go off on the statement you made about 3rd ward having no talent...That's not true...although the neighborhood IS old, kids STILL come out of 3rd ward...However, the bulk of the kids in the basketball program do not live in 3rd ward, some of them do...I will say this once again...Wise does not HAVE to recruit....HISD is a school of choice district...Kids that live in HISD want to play at Yates right now...Let me ask you this...Do you think FB Travis recruits? They have a couple if stud kids that live NOWHERE NEAR Travis....Do you even know the coach's name? It's funny how people will jump on a school like Yates and their coach, without question, but the suburban schools get a pass...why is that?

What card? Thats not what I am saying at all...Has nothing to do with race...I am talking about socio-economic passes that are handed to the suburban schools in the Houston area...People were asking "why" kids would want to go to Yates High School...The neighborhood is so "bad", right? Wrong...Its OLD...Not necessarily bad..UH is a stone throw away from the school...Should kids not attend UH because the neighborhood that surrounds it is old?  My question is simple...Does the gentleman feel like FB Travis recruits kids?

Does anyone wonder if the 3A classification is going to hurt the talent pool at Yates.  I mean, players are "drawn" to play for Yates in order to get the exposure for the D1 recruiters.

If Yates goes to 3A, where there is said to be less exposure (by those more knowledgeable in these matters than I), will kids turn away from the Yates Machine and attend other schools instead?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1192029" timestamp="1330871271"]
Dicky- Are you going on record now and predict an undefeated cakewalk season for Yates next year?
[/quote]
No, but I do know that class 3A just got a lot tougher, particularly in region 3...Dallas has dealt with this for sometime now, now its the Houston area's turn.  Undefeated? Doubtful...undefeated in 3A, next year?...Possible.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1192037" timestamp="1330872277"]
Dude Yates recruits just like La Marque, PNG, Duncanville, The Woodlands, Travis, and Canyon. It happens and no one will do anything about it. This is what high school ball has turned too.
[/quote]
Since you KNOW this to be fact, do you have any idea what the recruiting budgets will look like for next season at these schools? ::) ::)...Listen, Yates does not HAVE to recruit...I can't say that enough..PNG? In what sport? Come on, man, really? ::) ::)

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1192037" timestamp="1330872277"]
Dude Yates recruits just like La Marque, PNG, Duncanville, The Woodlands, Travis, and Canyon. It happens and no one will do anything about it. This is what high school ball has turned too.
[/quote] So true. The HJ folks don't yet know what its like to go against big city recruiting machines like Yates. But, like others, they will find out. Oh, and you left out Kimball, Flower Mound Marcus, all the Ft Bend schools....Agreed, this is what high school has turned into.....thanks to AAU. As for Yates next year, don't bother looking at returners on this yr's roster. The roster will look quite different next year. Recruiting season hasn't even begun yet.

It was said that FB Travis recruits as does The Woodlands. I have no way of proving it either way, and I doubt anyone does. However, the reason people don't bring it up, IMO, is bc if you look at FB teams, Travis is not the ONLY good team. Last year it was FB Hightower and FB Bush. Same as The Woodlands. TW now has TWHS and TW College Park. BOTH schools are very good. If you go watch TW schools, they usually don't have phenomenal 'stand out' players. They usually don't have D1 players on their basketball team. They are fundamentally sound, so the idea that recruiting is going on is unlikely. Now take a look at the other schools in Yates' District. They are very unimpressive. Some of the schools in that district losing to Yates by 100++!! In addition, Yates was the only school this year to make it out of the 2nd round in the playoffs. It seems that Yates attracts the best talent in that district, and the other schools get the left overs per se.

I live in Houston as well, consistently for the last 30 years.  Before that I spent most summers in Houston as well as in Silsbee, my hometown.  I just happen to like the name kountzer.  I went to school in HISD for about 2 years.  IOWs I have a good idea of what's going on here. 

I've been following Wise & sons for years, from Missouri City to Kingwood to 3rd ward.  I don't have a problem with coach Wise.  He's got a good thing going, mo' power to him.  Just don't try and blow smoke, cause it is more than coaching ability that turned the Yates program around right about the time he showed up there.  Too many coincidences is not a coincident.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1191990" timestamp="1330837829"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=97071.msg1191982#msg1191982 date=1330835979]
The matchups will not be determined until Sunday morning...I doubt they will seed Yates and Kimball in the semi....they will likely be seeded 1 and 2 and meet in the final.
[/quote]

Yates and Kimball could play in a semifinal. The top two seeds are determined by win %. Those two are San Antonio Alamo Heights at 33-2 and Yates at 32-5. Kimball is 31-5 while Denton Ryan is 23-11. Depending on the coin flip, Yates and Kimball could square off in a semifinal game.

I am hoping they do not and meet in the finals.
[/quote]

i figured yates was guaranteed the #1 seed, because they're, um, yates.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder